Contribute
Register

Asus X299 - Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
No significant change for me on B4 (about the same as B3).....pretty routine.....

I posted this response on another forum, but not here. I experienced scratchy audio on my X299 when the Radeon VII was in my Asus X299, but after moving the Radeon VII to my Z370-A system (I had a hardware failure) I did not experience the scratchy audio there.

Something about the Sapphire Radeon VII and my Asus X299? (But not on the Asus Z370-A!!). Well, I wish I had another Radeon VII from another manufacturer to test with.

Last edited:
So got my jumper cables in today and plugged in pins 3 and 5 on the titan ridge. Good thing is it's detected on boot without anything plugged in but it looks like the SSDT still needs some adjustments since as-is it ends up disabling the ports. Not sure if this is just Sage specific

Edit: Update to 10.14.5 PB 4 went smoothly with clover v4924
Edit 2: Not having any luck with enabling Thunderbolt without the header + SSDT. Anyone have any luck with this?

Also updated to Beta 4 yesterday with Clover v4924, no noticeable improvements. I'm not sure if you can use Thunderbolt without the header on an Intel motherboard, AFAIK the card chip communicates with the PCH/CPU to function and authenticate.

Note to anyone updating clover

I personally use unpkg to extract the latest clover and replace the old files.

Added: unpkg app

You should be able to get the files-only from https://github.com/Dids/clover-builder/releases, this is what I usually use to update clover directly, without relying on 3rd party apps.

Also updated to Beta 4 yesterday with Clover v4924, no noticeable improvements. I'm not sure if you can use Thunderbolt without the header on an Intel motherboard, AFAIK the card chip communicates with the PCH/CPU to function and authenticate.

Thunderbolt works but without hotplug support and with combination of the SSDT it doesn’t at all. So if hotplug is important, GC titan ridge + tb cable + SSDT + slot 2 is the best way to go. If you don’t care about hotplug, just use the Titan ridge in any slot will do. Note with the jumping pins method usb c hot plug works.

My guess is that rules out any boards without a header with Titan ridge wont have hot plug :(

You should be able to get the files-only from https://github.com/Dids/clover-builder/releases, this is what I usually use to update clover directly, without relying on 3rd party apps.

Yes that's another way to do it.

Unpkg route keeps the structure of the folders, though, and you get the version from Sourceforge.

Happy to see this X299 community continue! I'll chime in with whatever I can. :)

We should have made a separate X299 thread and left @kgp thread alone.

Probably would have been the smarter thing to do. :cry:

Some quick benchmarks with latest version of Mojave.
Screen Shot 2019-05-01 at 7.06.10 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-29 at 1.53.29 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-01 at 7.44.03 PM.png

(Stock speeds, except small boost to RAM from 2400 > 2600)

10.14.5 B4, any upgrade for Radeon VII ?

Not for me either. Geekbench shows a small speed bump, but not by much. It should be more than 200,000 score for Radeon VII.

There is very bad instability when GPU resources are shared between different apps (Complete system freeze/kernel panic), and a loud sound glitch through DisplayPort audio that is still annoying...will probably be fixed soon.

Some quick benchmarks with latest version of Mojave.View attachment 403188

View attachment 403189
View attachment 403190

(Stock speeds, except small boost to RAM from 2400 > 2600)

Nice results! You might also want to run Cinebench R20 to stress those AVX instructions :p

One thing I noticed that Radeon VII was lacking was support in some Chrome accelerated features (which you can check with `chrome://gpu`) and Electron based apps like VSCode. If you have VSCode, could you check from terminal running `code --status` if acceleration is now available in Beta 4?

I compared them to a Macbook Pro and there were noticeable differences.

Nice results! You might also want to run Cinebench R20 to stress those AVX instructions :p

One thing I noticed that Radeon VII was lacking was support in some Chrome accelerated features (which you can check with `chrome://gpu`) and Electron based apps like VSCode. If you have VSCode, could you check from terminal running `code --status` if acceleration is now available in Beta 4?

I compared them to a Macbook Pro and there were noticeable differences.

Chrome is definitely accelerated for me and Hardware Acceleration (chrome://gpu flag) is enabled by default. I don't really notice a difference coming from Vega FE. Chrome is really a piece of garbage, but I'm forced to use it :geek: :lol:

Cinebench R20 results (I'm still tweaking stuff in the BIOS, but for now it's all stock)
Screen Shot 2019-05-01 at 9.43.04 PM.png

No R15 results.

VSCode:

Screen Shot 2019-05-01 at 9.53.05 PM.png

Chrome HW Status;

Screen Shot 2019-05-01 at 9.55.25 PM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back