Contribute
Register

Asus X299 - Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your choice entirely.
There are web drivers for Pascal graphics in High Sierra although SLI is not supported in any Apple OS.
Okay, I'll prepare the install USB tonight and try tomorrow. When I get into GPU-intensive stuff for the AI work, I'll just revert to Ubuntu, if I can get macOS 10.13.6 running stably otherwise. Does my EFI folder look like it should otherwise work for 10.13.6? Or do I need to go back to the drawing board for it due to the different OS?

Okay, I'll prepare the install USB tonight and try tomorrow. When I get into GPU-intensive stuff for the AI work, I'll just revert to Ubuntu, if I can get macOS 10.13.6 running stably otherwise. Does my EFI folder look like it should otherwise work for 10.13.6? Or do I need to go back to the drawing board for it due to the different OS?

Oh, geez, for pitys sake, just sell the nVidia(s) on ebay and buy a RX580 (get an 8GB), a Vega 56 or 64, or if you can afford it, buy a Radeon VII......IF you purchase a Radeon VII, you must sign up for the 10.14.5 beta (and it works pretty well there, as long as you are on Beta 5). None of those choices should result in you having to downgrade to 10.13.6....

Don't want to be on a beta? Choose a Vega 64, it's fast, and it's very capable. Actually, the Sapphire RX580 is an incredible adapter for the price (on e-bay about ~$120 from a reliable seller).

e-Bay is your friend in this regard.....

And, just so you know, I run Linux almost every day on my Vega 64.....no issues, at least for me. I've also run an RX580, which seems fine, but I have more experience with the Vega 64. No, I did not install new drivers for either.

Last edited:
Oh, geez, for pitys sake, just sell the nVidia(s) on ebay and buy a RX580 (get an 8GB), a Vega 56 or 64, or if you can afford it, buy a Radeon VII......IF you purchase a Radeon VII, you must sign up for the 10.14.5 beta (and it works pretty well there, as long as you are on Beta 5). None of those choices should result in you having to downgrade to 10.13.6....

Don't want to be on a beta? Choose a Vega 64, it's fast, and it's very capable. Actually, the Sapphire RX580 is an incredible adapter for the price (on e-bay about ~$120 from a reliable seller).

e-Bay is your friend in this regard.....

And, just so you know, I run Linux almost every day on my Vega 64.....no issues, at least for me. I've also run an RX580, which seems fine, but I have more experience with the Vega 64. No, I did not install new drivers for either.
That is not an option. As noted, two of these - the ones with the NVIDIA cards - are for work, bought by work, and my AI applications require them and will not work with AMD GPUs. The nearly identical build for home - IF I can get macOS on this hardware - will be the same EXCEPT it will have a single AMD GPU.

That is not an option. As noted, two of these - the ones with the NVIDIA cards - are for work, bought by work, and my AI applications require them and will not work with AMD GPUs. The nearly identical build for home - IF I can get macOS on this hardware - will be the same EXCEPT it will have a single AMD GPU.
Okay, that's too bad......such a shame....then 10.13.x is probably your best choice. All the best....good luck!

Your only option is High Sierra or no macOS.

If you would like help with High Sierra let us know, as it’s impossible to use Mojave with NVIDIA hardware (unless you count something like a GT750 or whatever is supported still).

Your other option is to buy a 3rd GPU like someone mentioned, an RX580 or lower, but you will need to disable NVIDIA completely and switch inputs to the AMD card.

Your only option is High Sierra or no macOS.

If you would like help with High Sierra let us know, as it’s impossible to use Mojave with NVIDIA hardware (unless you count something like a GT750 or whatever is supported still).

Your other option is to buy a 3rd GPU like someone mentioned, an RX580 or lower, but you will need to disable NVIDIA completely and switch inputs to the AMD card.
Got it. I'm fine with 10.13.6. Creating the install USB now, will try in the AM to install it.

Got it. I'm fine with 10.13.6. Creating the install USB now, will try in the AM to install it.

We have a similar system. Let me know I can help you out with the EFI folder.

Just a little something interesting in case anyone doubts about Radeon VII’s power. Apparently it’s faster than a single 2080Ti in Davinci Resolve as seen here.

ED5CB5DB-F193-40BE-8FDE-422BF4FACA94.jpeg

Just a little something interesting in case anyone doubts about Radeon VII’s power. Apparently it’s faster than a single 2080Ti in Davinci Resolve as seen here.
<snip>
It's not a speed issue, it's a language issue. AMD apparently uses a much more base-level language, while NVIDIA has developed its proprietary CUDA that it doesn't let AMD use/run. Apparently, (almost) all the machine learning folks use CUDA, and it's not a case where you can simply run it on an AMD card. This is coming from my AI guy working in Silicon Valley when I was designing the system for work-work (as opposed to home-work, where I'll be using AMD) where he said it was basically useless for me to get an AMD GPU for the machine learning work. None of the other stuff I do uses the GPU at all, so that was the sole factor driving the GPU purchase.

Also ... you with a similar system, I'll be more than happy to take any suggestions for the EFI. Can we jump the gun and if you have your own log of what you did, you post / send it, or if you're willing to share your folder, share it? I'm right now very slowly working through KGP's thread on 10.13.x installation.

It's not a speed issue, it's a language issue. AMD apparently uses a much more base-level language, while NVIDIA has developed its proprietary CUDA that it doesn't let AMD use/run. Apparently, (almost) all the machine learning folks use CUDA, and it's not a case where you can simply run it on an AMD card. This is coming from my AI guy working in Silicon Valley when I was designing the system for work-work (as opposed to home-work, where I'll be using AMD) where he said it was basically useless for me to get an AMD GPU for the machine learning work. None of the other stuff I do uses the GPU at all, so that was the sole factor driving the GPU purchase.

Also ... you with a similar system, I'll be more than happy to take any suggestions for the EFI. Can we jump the gun and if you have your own log of what you did, you post / send it, or if you're willing to share your folder, share it? I'm right now very slowly working through KGP's thread on 10.13.x installation.

Yes I know. I was an NVIDIA/CUDA guy for a very long time until Apple stopped making good desktop Macs so I moved to Hackintosh with AMD as recently as 3 years ago.

You have to remember that OpenCL/OpenGL will be gone by this years macOS and Metal is just as good as any other language, but of course CUDA is still light years ahead in terms of usage.

CUDA in macOS has always been unstable and glitchy anyway, from 2011 and on.

Pro apps like from Adobe etc will be forced to use Metal and optimize for it.

Honestly if you are doing specific work that requires CUDA, I would stick to Windows.

If you really want a Hackintosh, build a second system. Maybe a nice looking ITX build with an AMD gpu that can sit on the floor or whatnot?

No one knows when or even if Apple would allow NVIDIA back on macOS. You’re playing with dices here waiting for a chance to win when no one knows anything.

I personally can’t use Windows because I’m a designer and haven’t used Windows professionally for over 15 years. So macOS is my only option for now, unless Microsoft somehow gets rid of the ugly in Windows.

Regarding your build, you should do as the guide suggests, there’s plenty of good info in those guides and they are very detailed. Once you get to a good and bootable place, we can help you refine the build and tweak it to a really good level. It’s best to understand exactly what’s going on or at least close to it before just slapping in someone’s EFI folder and seeing if it works.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back