Contribute
Register

ASUS X299 Monterey/Ventura Support

Hey guys, Im stuck with 12.3 and not getting the 12.3.1 update. I use imacpro1,1 do you have an idea why?

I've already tried clear nvram and enabling sip, but without any luck

I have this same problem, the software update is not getting 12.3.1

Then I found this call InstallAssistant.pkg and run it. It's size is very big like a full OS, and then installed it. Now I'm on 12.3.1

Not sure if future updates will be ok or not, but for the time being, the security threat Zero Day is patched. The pkg is too big to attach here, so you'll have to search for it.

Hope this helps.

I have this same problem, the software update is not getting 12.3.1

Then I found this call InstallAssistant.pkg and run it. It's size is very big like a full OS, and then installed it. Now I'm on 12.3.1

Not sure if future updates will be ok or not, but for the time being, the security threat Zero Day is patched. The pkg is too big to attach here, so you'll have to search for it.

Hope this helps.
Hey, for me changing SecureBootModel to Default did the trick

Ok - after months of this I’m at my wits end.

My machine kept boot looping before hitting the BIOS. I’ve checked CPU pins, RAM (memtest on each stick in each slot took weeks) and no go. It would boot and stay on, but it was fleeting. If I shut it down, it was a gamble to get back up and running. When it’s on, it stays on and does all my heavy FCPX tasks with no issue. But ….. this was after I swapped my Corsair Vengeance ram (128 GB 16x8 at any speed from 2400 - 3200) for 2 x 8GB generic Samsung 2666 modules. It works, but not always. If I shut it off with this RAM - it’s still a gamble to post. I bought 64 gigs of Kingston 3600 and tried XMP down to 2400 and the machine hated it.

So I been using it for months without powering it off (my power bill hates me) - and now I really want to to fix it. One interesting thing I noticed- the Sapphire Vega 64 Nitro I’m running has a light on the bottom side- which is on currently. When it boot loops, the card has power- but that light isn’t on. When it does get through to the BIOS/OS - the light IS on so I’m thinking it’s an issue with the Vega 64.

Again, running a Seasonic 1300W platinum. So here’s a question- can RAM affect the GPU in terms of voltage? Or vice versa? Is this indicative of a bad GPU? I can’t find anything online that correlates these 2 things. And I’ve tried now 3 different brand, speeds and sizes of RAM.

What blows me away is that my machine is running flawlessly (outside of trying to do my work w/ 16GB of RAM) - the board is the X299 Sage/10G - and outside of this, everything and I mean EVERYTHING else works. I haven’t updated Monterey yet because of the SmallTree compatibility removal (but I saw a comment with someone using a different driver- so I’ll take a look at that later) - but if anyone can chime in, I’m debating picking up a Sapphire 6900XT Nitro today - it’s final sale which sucks - but I’m seriously thinking this is the fix as nothing else seems to make any sense.

Sorry for the novel, thanks to anyone who can help.

Update: The store reversed the final-sale policy and I got the Sapphire Toxic Air-Cooled 6900 XT. Plug & Play it just worked.

No boot loops ...... except .... (and now onto the RAM)

The Samsung RAM works flawless. Mind you, it's 2666 and it's only 16 GB of RAM.

Before it's asked, all 128 GB of RAM worked fine for about 2 years before this nonsense started. So I know it's compatible with my Asus X299 Sage/10G

If I try any combination of Corsair (the 8 sticks of 16 GB I have) - it crashes at random. XMP will boot loop so that's a no-go. Manual or auto down to 2133, doesn't make a difference. Nor does the combination or slot. I CAN get all the sticks to recognize and post into the BIOS w/ XMP off (which was an upgrade before I replaced the GPU) - but I hardly can imagine all 8 sticks are bad. So now, it's either memory controller on the processor, or the board. Both are still under warranty. Luckily, I actually have extended warranty on top of the manufacturer warranty for the 10980XE - and my ASUS warranty runs out in October, so I have time. If I have to RMA the board, ASUS is about an hour away from me and I can drive it there which is awesome.

If I have to RMA the processor, I have a 9900X I can use a backup.

If it's RAM, lifetime warranty, I'm good there, but given everything so far, I'm doubting it's these sticks.

If it's all the things, well s**t - I'll use my Macbook for a few weeks :crazy:

Like I said in the post above, I tried 2 sticks of Kingston 3600 and that was a disaster no matter how I configured it. Could this be a memory controller failure I'm feeling? On a sidenote, FCPX (even w/ 16 GB of RAM) is SOOOOO much faster w/ this card. The machine is stable with it and the Samsung RAM - but I paid for the Corsair and have it and REALLY want to use it (I edit music videos, the waveforms take forever to load on such low RAM, this is painful) :banghead:

BUT, the boot loops are gone with the Samsung RAM which is awesome and a good first start. Not to mention I can at least post and start the OS initialization w/ the Corsair at the lowest settings, but it either reboots at random before it gets to the desktop, or it gets to the desktop, but don't even think of exporting a video in FCPX - because it will reboot. The Samsung RAM was able to export a 25 minute 4K export without rendering first and it ran flawless. The Corsair with even 1 stick (I tried all 8 in different slots, it's been a long night) will barely start the render before I see the BIOS screen immediately.

Any insight on this would be super-appreciated. Thank you for reading this far lol

Well, the whole of it looks like an issue with the Corsair RAM…
But ….. this was after I swapped my Corsair Vengeance ram (128 GB 16x8 at any speed from 2400 - 3200) for 2 x 8GB generic Samsung 2666 modules.
A mix of modules with different specifications? This is usually frowned upon.

Well, the whole of it looks like an issue with the Corsair RAM…

A mix of modules with different specifications? This is usually frowned upon.
No no I think you got it confused lol

I tried my Corsair - all the same sticks. (rated for XMP at 3200) and it just doesn’t work.

I pulled all of them and tried 2 Kingston 3600 dimms I bought (a kit of 2 x 32 GB) those didn’t work.

So now I’m using the pair of Samsung RAM. I never ever EVER mix RAM.

Also, all 8 Corsair sticks behave exactly the same. No variance in how it crashes, it just does the same thing. And the Kingston was even worse- but it also did the same behaviour in terms of how it crashed (albeit different from how the Corsair did)

It’s like any RAM that has an XMP profile even when disabled and way downclocked is behaving badly with the setup now.

Also, I forgot to ask- with the 6900XT - everything seems to be working, except unlike the Vega 64, iStat Menus isn’t giving me any info outside of memory / processor usage in graph form (my Vega would show wattage / clock speed etc)- is there something I need to install / update to get those metrics with my new card? Both are Sapphire branded adoaters.

Thanks!

Introduction
The X299 Monterey Support thread is meant for support/discussion of ASUS X299 motherboards running on OpenCore. Since most user builds are on ASUS motherboards, other manufacturer systems (Gigabyte, MSI, ASRock, EVGA) may not receive as much support. Although this thread does not include a full guide, I have setup a github repo based on my personal build that ASUS users can use as a reference.

Guide
Github Files/Guide
  • ASUS X299 Hackintosh
    • ASUS BASE-EFI- Pre-built EFI using the MacPro7,1 SMBIOS that should be valid for all ASUS X299 motherboards. It is built using my personal build as a baseline with the OpenCanopy GUI. NOTE: Some config settings are different than the Skylake-X section of the Dortania OpenCore Vanilla Guide to be compatible with ASUS motherboards.
      • Recommended BIOS Settings
      • config.plist Configuration
      • Post-Install
    • Custom BIOS Collection - Modified BIOS .CAP files that have custom boot logos and/or other modifications.
    • Thunderbolt - Information about configuring Thunderbolt 3/4 for macOS
    • GUIDE: Intel 10 Gigabit NICs with Small Tree macOS Drivers
Personal Build
Personal build running on macOS Monterey. More info located here

View attachment 539460
What Works
  • Sleep / Wake
  • Wifi and Bluetooth
  • Handoff, Continuity, AirDrop, Continuity Camera, Universal Control, and Unlock with Apple Watch
  • iMessage, FaceTime, App Store, iTunes Store
  • 1 Ethernet
  • 10G Ethernet
  • HEVC, H.264
  • Onboard audio
  • TRIM
  • USB 2.0
  • USB 3.2 Gen 1
  • USB 3.2 Gen 2
  • DRM
  • Native NVRAM
  • CPU Power Management
  • USB Power
  • Thunderbolt 3/4 hot-plug
What Doesn't Work
  • SideCar
    • Due to some T2 chip dependancies on MacPro7,1 and iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS
Extras
Bro,why did u close the github

Quick question,

It looks like my board is defective. I tried another CPU (swapping my 10980XE for a 9900X) and problem persists and swapped RAM, GPU, PSU and it’s just not stable with any RAM or any capacity of RAM that has an option for XMP (even when disabled and clocked down all the way) - it used to work fine.

So right now, I have iMessage / all the iCloud stuff working with my serial number. If I get a replacement of the same board (if that’s what ASUS gives me the option to do) - do I need to generate a new serial number or can I just leave all that as is?

Back