Contribute
Register

Asus X299 - Catalina Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
@sage 10G owners...did you update bios to the latest revision 0301?

@sage 10G owners...did you update bios to the latest revision 0301?

I'm sticking to 2002 for now. Having weird thunderbolt issues on latest. You'll also need to patch the latest bios and add SSDT-AWAC.

Last edited:
I had the impression that SSDT-AWAC was only for 300 series (LGA1151)
The ASUS WS X299 SAGE/10G does not have Native NVRAM?
CMOS/Bios reset issues? - Thats a bummer for such a nice/expensive mobo :(
Go Gigabyte, go, Lol.
Stay safe :wave:

I had the impression that SSDT-AWAC was only for 300 series (LGA1151)
The ASUS WS X299 SAGE/10G does not have Native NVRAM?
CMOS/Bios reset issues? - Thats a bummer for such a nice/expensive mobo :(
Go Gigabyte, go, Lol.
Stay safe :wave:

The Sage has native nvram. With the Cascade Lake X refresh boards and the latest round of ASUS BIOS updates SSDT-AWAC is required and a patched BIOS with UEFITool since the MSR2 toggle is broken.
I'm on 2002 and everything works fine without patching or AWAC.

Hi everyone!

I just read the whole thread, to get me back on track with Hackintoshes.

So, just a bit of background:
I am video editor and colorist. Using Adobe suite and Resolve. I had High Sierra hack made with KGPs guide and big help from @djlild7hina (10gbe drivers were a nightmare in the beginning). It was mostly stable, except rare crashes caused by nVidia drivers. This was my config: X299 SAGE 10G / i9-7960x / 2x GTX 1080 TI / 64gb RAM.

2 weeks ago I switched to Windows because of these rare crashes and inability to update nVidia drivers, or newer OS. I regret it BIG time. Yesterday I ordered Radeon VII. You can guess the rest :)

So, after reading this whole thread, I will probably be using OC when Radeon arrives. I have a few questions I was hoping someone could answer:
- for SAGE 10G bios shoud be 2002?
- if I flash onboard 10G in Linux as @djlild7hina suggested - will the cards work in Windows? I hope I am not going back, but just in case :) Patched drivers work in Windows without problems.
- if I use EFI already prepared for SAGE 10G - I just need to adapt SSDT for GPU placement (and of course TSCAdjustReset.kext)? I am not using anything except GPU and BMD Decklink 4K Extreme video interface card
- @ICEVISION I noticed at some point you were running two Radeon VIIs - how was that working without blower or watercooling?

Thanks everyone for all contributions to this thread. Can't wait for Radeon to arrive to get back to Hackintosh :)

Last edited:
Hi everyone!

I just read the whole thread, to get me back on track with Hackintoshes.

So, just a bit of background:
I am video editor and colorist. Using Adobe suite and Resolve. I had High Sierra hack made with KGPs guide and big help from @djlild7hina (10gbe drivers were a nightmare in the beginning). It was mostly stable, except rare crashes caused by nVidia drivers. This was my config: X299 SAGE 10G / i9-7960x / 2x GTX 1080 TI / 64gb RAM.

2 weeks ago I switched to Windows because of these rare crashes and inability to update nVidia drivers, or newer OS. I regret it BIG time. Yesterday I ordered Radeon VII. You can guess the rest :)

So, after reading this whole thread, I will probably be using OC when Radeon arrives. I have a few questions I was hoping someone could answer:
- for SAGE 10G bios shoud be 2002?
- if I flash onboard 10G in Linux as @djlild7hina suggested - will the cards work in Windows? I hope I am not going back, but just in case :)
- if I use EFI already prepared for SAGE 10G - I just need to adapt SSDT for GPU placement (and of course TSCAdjustReset.kext)? I am not using anything except GPU and BMD Decklink 4K Extreme video interface card
- @ICEVISION I noticed at some point you were running two Radeon VIIs - how was that working without blower or watercooling?

Thanks everyone for all contributions to this thread. Can't wait for Radeon to arrive to get back to Hackintosh :)

Radeon VII user here with MacPro7,1 SMBIOS, it works but I feel drivers are not yet rock solid regarding GPU acceleration system wide (videos, safari, etc.) and situation seems worse on 10.15.4 (problems with GPU acceleration when using videocall apps like FaceTime).

- stick with v. 2002, problems occurring with AWACS / RTC clocks and MSR Register writing in later versions.
- no 10G here, dunno.
- I suggest followin the official guide for opencore vanilla, you'll need to modify EFI a bit on every new release so it pays off to understand what's happening. I think u don't need SSDT for GPU with OpenCore (but I can be wrong here, even if I'm not using any at the moment).

Thanks, I will try it. Just waiting for Radeon to arrive. I already prepared USB with installer and OC :)

I didn't know about problems with Radeon VII. Do you think this is Catalina-specific?

Thanks, I will try it. Just waiting for Radeon to arrive. I already prepared USB with installer and OC :)

I didn't know about problems with Radeon VII. Do you think this is Catalina-specific?
Never had any issue since I bought RVII (at launch), they seem to be related to 10.15.4 and I read the same bugs on real macs. It could be easily related to system wide issued rather than just with VII

Never had any issue since I bought RVII (at launch), they seem to be related to 10.15.4 and I read the same bugs on real macs. It could be easily related to system wide issued rather than just with VII
Ok, so my first try will be with 10.15.3, thanks.

I also have question about some kexts:
- izo1 uses AGPMInjector.kext, djlild7hina doesn't - do I have to use it with Radeon VII and Sage 10g?
- in original KGPs guide, there is a part about overclocking AMD cards. The same app doesn't work for newer cards, but there is XLS file for Radeon VII that makes it possible to create PowerPlay Table that can be used in OpenCore. I am not that interested in overclocking, but I would like to try undervolting and fan controll. Anyone using it with OpenCore?

This is crazy. I have my EFI ready, downloaded 3 potential versions of OS X, did all editing of config.plist and card is not even shipped :D

Ok, so my first try will be with 10.15.3, thanks.

I also have question about some kexts:
- izo1 uses AGPMInjector.kext, djlild7hina doesn't - do I have to use it with Radeon VII and Sage 10g?
- in original KGPs guide, there is a part about overclocking AMD cards. The same app doesn't work for newer cards, but there is XLS file for Radeon VII that makes it possible to create PowerPlay Table that can be used in OpenCore. I am not that interested in overclocking, but I would like to try undervolting and fan controll. Anyone using it with OpenCore?

This is crazy. I have my EFI ready, downloaded 3 potential versions of OS X, did all editing of config.plist and card is not even shipped :D

I used RVII both with and without the AGPM kext. Really I don't know what's supposed to do but I noticed no difference, maybe someone else could be more specific abot this.

No need to modify clock/volts on Radeon VII, it uses a 7nm litography and is pretty colder than 1st gen Vega and super silent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back