Contribute
Register

Asus X299 - Catalina Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so my first try will be with 10.15.3, thanks.

I also have question about some kexts:
- izo1 uses AGPMInjector.kext, djlild7hina doesn't - do I have to use it with Radeon VII and Sage 10g?
- in original KGPs guide, there is a part about overclocking AMD cards. The same app doesn't work for newer cards, but there is XLS file for Radeon VII that makes it possible to create PowerPlay Table that can be used in OpenCore. I am not that interested in overclocking, but I would like to try undervolting and fan controll. Anyone using it with OpenCore?

This is crazy. I have my EFI ready, downloaded 3 potential versions of OS X, did all editing of config.plist and card is not even shipped :D

I use agpm but its not in the EFI in my repo since you need a different one depending on your gfx card.
Used this to generate a kext

@cloudconnected666 let me know if you need help setting up. Our efi configs will be very similar :)
Also I updated the first post with a tutorial on patching the latest bios.

Hi! I'm wondering if anyone would be able to help me? I recently upgraded my system from a GTX 1080 Ti to a Radeon VII in order to update to Catalina. I've been able to get it updated to Mojave without issue, but it locks up during boot when trying to install Catalina. This includes both a fresh install as well as updating from Mojave. In case there's an issue with my profile, I'm on an ASUS Prime X299-Deluxe and an XFX Radeon VII. I also tried the open core EFI folder and the results were similar. Any assistance on this would be very much appreciated.
Paint XFX Radeon VII as sapphire Radeon VII

Did anyone manage to update the WS X299 SAGE to Bios 3101 and have a working OS Catalina?

My machine with the default settings on widows was scoring incredibly bad points as attached. As soon as I updated the bios we can see a dramatic shift up, perhaps due to 10980XE being optimised on this bios version.

Please let me know if anyone had it working on Catalina with 3101. In my case it gets stuck before booting anything, with bios 2002 is working tho.

Thanks!

Attachments

• bios dif.png
    bios dif.png
    263.8 KB · Views: 71
  • 472D5E95-7F2A-4BA8-9695-21261F8DA5C6.jpeg
    472D5E95-7F2A-4BA8-9695-21261F8DA5C6.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Did anyone manage to update the WS X299 SAGE to Bios 3101 and have a working OS Catalina?

My machine with the default settings on widows was scoring incredibly bad points as attached. As soon as I updated the bios we can see a dramatic shift up, perhaps due to 10980XE being optimised on this bios version.

Please let me know if anyone had it working on Catalina with 3101. In my case it gets stuck before booting anything, with bios 2002 is working tho.

Thanks!

Ok, I just spotted now @djlild7hina first post updated, about patching the bios version 3101 in order to boot.

I did successfully patched it as instructed, renamed and flashed it as per post #1. The Flashing went trough and the system is loading and quickly matched my bios settings as before. I also added the SSDT-AWAC.aml in the patches clover folder but no luck. My current config is Clover, working with bios 2002. After the bios patch and flash, clover's picture of where is getting stuck attached.

The OC fail attempt :)))

I tried also the Open Core from djlild7hina's folder, changing the system ID etc and made sure my TSCAdjustReset is set to 35 and a few bits and pieces like adding my arguments for the GPU to work. I have no idea what went wrong or what this stuck message attached refers to.

Attached the Open Core EFI as well as my current clover EFI. Can anyone help, please? I'd really want this to work with OC if possible :)

Components:
MB: WS X299 SAGE
CPU: 10980XE (18c)
Ram: 128GB Corsair
GPU: 5700XT (50 Anniversary)
Thunderbolt: T3 Gigabyte Titan Ridge
Current installed OS (10.15.3)

Thanks!

Attachments

• clover.jpg
    clover.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 64
  • OC.jpg
    OC.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 73
  • OC_EFI.zip
    3.2 MB · Views: 70
  • Clover_EFI.zip
    3.6 MB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Ok, I just spotted now @djlild7hina first post updated, about patching the bios version 3101 in order to boot.

I did successfully patched it as instructed, renamed and flashed it as per post #1. The Flashing went trough and the system is loading and quickly matched my bios settings as before. I also added the SSDT-AWAC.aml in the patches clover folder but no luck. My current config is Clover, working with bios 2002. After the bios patch and flash, clover's picture of where is getting stuck attached.

The OC fail attempt :)))

I tried also the Open Core from djlild7hina's folder, changing the system ID etc and made sure my TSCAdjustReset is set to 35 and a few bits and pieces like adding my arguments for the GPU to work. I have no idea what went wrong or what this stuck message attached refers to.

Attached the Open Core EFI as well as my current clover EFI. Can anyone help, please? I'd really want this to work with OC if possible :)

Components:
MB: WS X299 SAGE
CPU: 10980XE (18c)
Ram: 128GB Corsair
GPU: 5700XT (50 Anniversary)
Thunderbolt: T3 Gigabyte Titan Ridge
Current installed OS (10.15.3)

Thanks!

Took a look at the OC EFI you linked and that one was izo1's tailored to his build so that's most likely why it didn't boot. Please look at the README and BASE-EFI folder as outlined in my github repo and review the OpenCore Vanilla Guide.

I attached an EFI that should get you booted.
Additions from my BASE EFI (Detailed in the readme)
- SSDT-AWAC.aml
- X299USB.kext (Made for the Sage/10G! Please create your own for the regular Sage (Your Clover EFI USB kext was also for the Sage/10G)
- IntelMausuiEthernet.kext

Also generate a MacPro7,1 Serial Number/UUID and populate in config.plist/PlatformInfo

Once you get booted we can work on adding the rest of the kexts and other fixes if need be.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    57.8 MB · Views: 219
Last edited:
djlild7hina You are a magician! :)

It did start, using the latest bios and OC using the EFI you supplied! Thanks so much! I've tested Premiere and Davinci with 8k footage, now the machine feels much better and faster. Before the system was lagging.

I've also successfully updated from 10.15.3 to 10.15.4

The system feels much more stable updated and with open core.

Things to sort out still:
1. The Thunderbolt doesn't work or appear.
2. The boot is displaying the pre-boot and things are not needed. How can I eliminate those and only have Windows and Mac?
3. USB's are not all working.
4. The CPU benchmark is hitting much lower than on windows R20 reads 7028pts vs 8600pts on windows. (I'm not using sync all cores and sliding AVX offset 3; AVX512 offset:2. If I do that my machine is reaching 109 Celsius on a simple benchmark or when I play R3d footage. I left those to Auto and no slides to prevent from killing the CPU.
Cooling: Kraken X73

Shouldn't the USB and Thunderbolt work just the same as yours? The only difference between the motherboards is the 10g.

Also, do you have a Paypal donation page? I would like to contribute for your help and effort.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-05-21 at 11.52.50.png
    Screenshot 2020-05-21 at 11.52.50.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 68
  • Screenshot 2020-05-21 at 11.53.08.png
    Screenshot 2020-05-21 at 11.53.08.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 62
  • Screenshot 2020-05-21 at 11.53.16.png
    Screenshot 2020-05-21 at 11.53.16.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 59
  • Screenshot 2020-05-21 at 14.59.22.png
    Screenshot 2020-05-21 at 14.59.22.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_4418.jpg
    IMG_4418.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 51
Last edited:
djlild7hina You are a magician! :)

It did start, using the latest bios and OC using the EFI you supplied! Thanks so much! I've tested Premiere and Davinci with 8k footage, now the machine feels much better and faster. Before the system was lagging.

I've also successfully updated from 10.15.3 to 10.15.4

The system feels much more stable updated and with open core.

Things to sort out still:
1. The Thunderbolt doesn't work or appear.
2. The boot is displaying the pre-boot and things are not needed. How can I eliminate those and only have Windows and Mac?
3. USB's are not all working.
4. The CPU benchmark is hitting much lower than on windows R20 reads 7028pts vs 8600pts on windows. (I'm not using sync all cores and sliding AVX offset 3; AVX512 offset:2. If I do that my machine is reaching 109 Celsius on a simple benchmark or when I play R3d footage. I left those to Auto and no slides to prevent from killing the CPU.
Cooling: Kraken X73

Shouldn't the USB and Thunderbolt work just the same as yours? The only difference between the motherboards is the 10g.

Also, do you have a Paypal donation page? I would like to contribute for your help and effort.

Mapping USB ports and boot selection is laid out in the vanilla guide. There are 4 additional usb 2 ports and 2 additional usb 3 ports on the standard Sage. You’ll have to create your own usb kext for this.
Thunderbolt section will not populate without flashing your card. Refer to CaseySJs designare thread for more info. If you want to use kgp’s method, you can copy the ssdt to your efi folder and update the config.

Do you have an ioreg dump? If you really wanted you can add device properties using Hackintool to clean up the pci page

And no I don’t have a donation page. Just helping out :)

EDIT: looks like you are using kgp's method for thunderbolt, copy SSDT-X299-TB3HP.aml from your clover EFI into your OC folder and add it to the config.plist. OpenCore is different than Clover so you have to manually specify your SSDTs, kexts, and drivers in the config.plist

Copy your Solarflare10GbE.kext as well and add to the config.plist
You'll have to create a new AGPMEnabler kext. Pavo has a great utility that can do this.

Last edited:
Mapping USB ports and boot selection is laid out in the vanilla guide. There are 4 additional usb 2 ports and 2 additional usb 3 ports on the standard Sage. You’ll have to create your own usb kext for this.
Thunderbolt section will not populate without flashing your card. Refer to CaseySJs designare thread for more info. If you want to use kgp’s method, you can copy the ssdt to your efi folder and update the config.

Do you have an ioreg dump? If you really wanted you can add device properties using Hackintool to clean up the pci page

And no I don’t have a donation page. Just helping out :)

EDIT: looks like you are using kgp's method for thunderbolt, copy SSDT-X299-TB3HP.aml from your clover EFI into your OC folder and add it to the config.plist. OpenCore is different than Clover so you have to manually specify your SSDTs, kexts, and drivers in the config.plist

Copy your Solarflare10GbE.kext as well and add to the config.plist
You'll have to create a new AGPMEnabler kext. Pavo has a great utility that can do this.

Thanks so much for your help! I really appreciate it!

I can have a go at the points suggested. I already tried adding the SSDT-X299-TB3HP.aml manually in the OC and I have a freeze. Also, I think I need to downgrade back to 10.15.3 as the next for SolarFlare doesn't seem to work above 10.15.3 based on this post: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solarflare-sfn5122f-mac-os-driver-not-more-avaiable.272619/page-2

I will keep updating the progress. Thanks!

Last edited:
The bios v3101 have some major problems regardless if using the patched bios or their Asus original version :) It's just buggy, here is why:

1. The machine not posting (blocked on the red led), after multiple resets, it will start.
2. Even if it starts and it greens the MB light, no display will work trough DP only via HDMI.
3. OC will not detect the audio (internal soundcard) with this bios.

The advantage in my case for having bios 3101 it is clear, using cascade CPU the 10980XE has a dramatic shift in the CPU performance versus bios 2002, as highlighted in post #810

I've emailed Asus with a long report email requesting a fix for Bios 3101 as MSR Lock is not working as well as the post-failure and the GPU signal errors. Hopefully, they are already working on an update and this will come handy for them.

For now, I will stick to bios v 2002 as everything works with this including the audio, SolarFlare, the CPU (lower readings than normal for now).

The only things I need to sort out with the OpenCore for now:
1. Thunderbolt trough flashing as in this link: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...olt-3-i7-9700k-amd-rx-580.267551/post-2095044
I've ordered the 'CH341A Programmer' from Amazon so they should be with me tomorrow. Will report if successful

2. There are some lags when the login screen first comes up and when the screen comes back from the screensaver.
Anyone experiencing these problems?

@djlild7hina What's the SSDT used with your flashed Titan Ridge? Is it the one you included in post #812? KPG's or that one are not currently working under OC. I found that SolarFlare had the fix by disabling integrity protection and copying on the library kext as on a normal mac as per post #19, copying the kext in the EFI folder would crash, that used to work under Clover. I'm thinking maybe after the TB flashing this should just come up with no SSDT?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back