Register

Asus X299 - Catalina Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
so you worng :)
this is exporting in fcpx

View attachment 442455

View attachment 442456

Only apps designed to take advantage of 2 or more GPUs (like FCPX) can actually use them for compute tasks, GUIs are rendered by and only by GPU n.1

Do you use a Noctua NH-U12A? It seems like that judging by that picture, with 2x A12x25 fans in push pull. How it performs? Did OC'ed your 9980XE? I got the same CPU a bit OC'ed and I'm really considering switching from a 360mm AiO to a NH-D15.

I have problems getting the "new" refreshed X299 boards for Cascade Lake X to run. I tried the MSI Creator X299 and currently I am sitting behind an Asus Rampage VI Extreme Encore (with a 10940X).

The first problem is that MSR Lock [Disabled] does not work. This means, I have to boot with a Kernel patch (XCPM Bootstrap) to get past Clover.

Next, the system hangs at "PCI configuration end" - on both the MSI and the Asus. I tried Clover and OC, result is the same.

Did anyone get the new boards to work?

Not sure if this will work but I think it's worth trying. According to OpenCore Vanilla guide:

Stuck on or near [PCI Configuration Begin]

This is commonly caused by IRQ conflicts with PCI devices/lanes. Depending on how your system was configured, it's recommended to have the following BIOS settings:

• CSM disabled
  • Windows8.1/10 Mode
  • Forcing PCIe 3.0 link speed
    Now try one of these boot args:
  • npci=0x2000
  • npci=0x3000

OpenCore Vanilla guide

I did try that, this does not help, sadly. I have tried different lane configurations and disabled all onboard devices. Nothing seems to work. There must be something intrinsic different with the new boards.

Only apps designed to take advantage of 2 or more GPUs (like FCPX) can actually use them for compute tasks, GUIs are rendered by and only by GPU n.1

Do you use a Noctua NH-U12A? It seems like that judging by that picture, with 2x A12x25 fans in push pull. How it performs? Did OC'ed your 9980XE? I got the same CPU a bit OC'ed and I'm really considering switching from a 360mm AiO to a NH-D15.

I previously had a NZXT Kraken X62 280mm.
It also created a lot of noise and did not cool the processor well.

I gave up doing OC.
For that reason the CPU Does not leave too much room in terms of degrees in Stock.
But also for the reason that Final Cut Pro vs. Adobe Premiere Pro doesn't use the processor too much.

So I'm happy right now because I have a super quiet system.
But super strong!
I stand 29 degrees in idle.
And at the peak, it reaches 73 degrees in export.

I did try that, this does not help, sadly. I have tried different lane configurations and disabled all onboard devices. Nothing seems to work. There must be something intrinsic different with the new boards.
The problem is that there seem to be multiple PCI root complexes. I have a board the has two PCI root complexes. One of the has to be enumerated first to boot. Yours seem to treat each bridge as a separate root complex! Try PCIRootUID=1 boot flag and see if it helps.

I previously had a NZXT Kraken X62 280mm.
It also created a lot of noise and did not cool the processor well.

I gave up doing OC.
For that reason the CPU Does not leave too much room in terms of degrees in Stock.
But also for the reason that Final Cut Pro vs. Adobe Premiere Pro doesn't use the processor too much.

So I'm happy right now because I have a super quiet system.
But super strong!
I stand 29 degrees in idle.
And at the peak, it reaches 73 degrees in export.

You know, that's the way I do it, too. I don't OC (other than XMP), and my system is also strong, but more importantly stable, and quiet, as I think yours is. It's fast, it's capable and sometimes, you just have to accept that (strong and stable and quiet) is good enough. It is for me.

You know, that's the way I do it, too. I don't OC (other than XMP), and my system is also strong, but more importantly stable, and quiet, as I think yours is. It's fast, it's capable and sometimes, you just have to accept that (strong and stable and quiet) is good enough. It is for me.

Exactly!

We don't make benchmarks every day. We are working on the computer.

Stability is important. It is important that the computer be extremely quiet.

Try PCIRootUID=1

Just tried that one and... it doesn't work. The boot process always stops at the same stage.

so you worng :)
this is exporting in fcpx

More than happy to be wrong!! Glad I asked. I see it’s really only for exporting, which makes tons of sense - We are running an editing bay in the office with 9900K and a Radeon 7 - exporting 6k video. This will save us some time!

Thanks for replying!

is there an actual advantage to doing this? My understanding is that OS X can only utilize one of these cards at a time. I’d love to be wrong about that!! :)

Davinci Resolve, FCPX and other apps can utilize multiple GPUs.

And games in Windows too. But not all.

The Mac Pro Radeon VII Duo or whatever it's called has dual GPU dies linked together so macOS sees it as one GPU. In Windows via Bootcamp I believe it's seen as 2 separate GPUs.

I previously had a nzxt Kraken X62 280mm
It also created a lot of noise and did not cool the processor well

I gave up doing oc
For that reason the CPU Does not leave too much room in terms of degrees in Stock
But also for the reason that Final Cut Pro vs. Adobe Premiere Pro doesn't use the processor too much

So I'm happy right now because I have a super quiet system
But super strong!
I stand 29 degrees in idle
And at the peak it reaches 73 degrees in export

As much as I like air cooling, I will never go back to it.

As I recently upgraded the rads to slim rads, I can run fans at sub 800RPMs and even with all core OC the CPU barely its 75c on full load. The fans never ramp up and I don't hear it at all with a custom fan curve. And day to day the CPU for me is sometimes maxed out during AE renders via a python script.

The other upside with Watercooling is you can throw your GPUs and VRM in the loop if you'd like. The single Radeon VII I have only hits 54c on full load. We all know it's a hot card and the fans on the original cooler are loud as heck. The fact that it's a silent system is such a big plus for me and it made Watercooling all worth it. I also OC the GPU in Windows to hit higher framerates and since this whole system is WC, I can easily hit 2000+MHz on GPU and 1200MHz on RAM with just a click of a button. It surpasses RTX2080 perf.

Overclocking doesn't necessarily mean instability, it just means more heat. Skylake-X is very optimized in general and scales exponentially, and can eat up to 700w (but that's extreme overclocking which we don't need).

With my current OC, it is extremely stable and single core performance is much higher, which Adobe in general likes. Every single task from launching apps to flying through timelines in AE is so fast, and OC is worth it for me.

The fact that I get near the CPU performance of the 28c Mac Pro setup that costs like $25,000+ is great. And single core performance is much better on my end and I can tweak to my liking...

I'm not some overclocking enthusiast at all, but seeing as to how easy it is nowadays, it's not just about benchmarks, but squeezing as much perf as you can from your system so it lasts longer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back