Contribute
Register

ASUS TUF GAMING Z690-PLUS D4, no-sound problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully someone has a clue as to what the config issues I'm running into in getting my new Hackintosh up and running are.

I'm currently working with the EFI Middleman linked aboe, since it looks like more people had success with it. (I tried aneox's first and it didn't work so I moved on.)

My build is:
ASUS TUF GAMING Z690-PLUS WIFI D4
AMD Vega 64

I've attached a screenshot of the failed verbose boot progress and a copy of my EFI. I didn't change much, aside from updating the Kexts and on a later attempt enabling SSDT-PLUG-ALT-12 instead of SSDT-PLUG-ALT, since I thought a 12600K specific kext might resolve issue.

Based on the errors shown in the screenshot, I think my problem is ACPI related, but I am not sure how to resolve it. I'm hoping it's something as simple as me having to find and toggle a setting in my bios, although I thought I had things configured correctly. Not sure how simple because, this being my first ASUS board, I'm having a bit of trouble navigating the Advanced bios setting to find things.

I'm hoping I can get the installer working and then booted without too much more trouble, since I'm having to swap my single working GPU between machines due to wanting to wait on prices going down some more before getting a newer one.
Right. Which OS are you trying to boot? Is it Monterey? If so there's a lot of changes to be made.

I've had a look at your EFI. It is still on OC 0.7.4. It needs to be OC 0.7.5 or above for booting Monterey. For convenience I've updated it to OC 0.7.8 for you. As for the other files, looks like you were missing a SSDT-HPET so I've also added that in too. The SSDT-PLUG-ALT-12 seems correct but I've disabled SSDT-DTPG as I don't think you have Thunderbolt yet.

I have also enabled the 15 port SSDT-UIAC for you for the USB ports to work. AdviseFeatures is also enabled for Monterey 12.3 use.

For the kernel settings Ive also adjusted it to those working for me on my Asus Prime P D4 board (AppleXcpmCfgLock on, DisableIOMapper off, CustomsSMBIOSGuid off, ProvideCurrentCpuInfo on, AppleXcpmForceBoost on).

I have also added a layout-id of 66 for the onboard Realtek ALC897 sound codec which I believe should work. Give it a try.

Attachments

• EFI Monterey.zip
    43.1 MB · Views: 113
Middleman,

Thanks for the help. Yes, I'm trying to boot Monterey (.3 to be precise). I guess I didn't pay enough attention to the files you'd provided and just assumed that they were of the same OC version (0.78) that I'd been seeing recently.

Anyway, I went ahead and tested it out (after added a missing IntelBluetooth.kext).

I'm now getting a different Kernel error (see attached). I can see that there's a "ACPI: PHATpanic" associated with the ACPIPlatform, but I can't get much else out of the visible messages,so if you have a clue as to what may be causing it I'd appreciate the suggestions.

I'm wonder if I should try switching up the ACPI aml addons a bit more, but would like your input under the assumption you have a better idea as to what's going on. For example, I notice that in aneox's config he used SSDT-PLUG-ALT (instead of ALT-12), SSDT-DMAC, and SSDT-DMAR. He also does not have SSDT-HPET and has SSDT-SBUS-MCHC disabled. Thoughts?

As an aside, I reviewed your other changes as I wrote this (probably should have done before testing...):
  • I note that you toggled AppleXcpmCfgLock on, while the documentation seems to imply it is not needed if cfg-loclk is disabled in BIOS, I assume that since I can't actually find that option in my bios that I should stick with your setting.
  • You mentioned setting DisableIoMapper off, but it was still on in my config.plist. That said, I'm inclined to leave it on since I left VD-T enabled in bios.
  • You said you had CustomsSMBIOSGuid off - somehow it got turned on. I've turned it off, but have yet to test it again. Although, I wonder if I should leave it on since UpdateSMBIOSMode is set to Custom in the PlatformInfo settings?
  • Finally, I'm curious about AppleXcpmForceBoost, and why it is set to on. The docs say it sets the max multiplier and is generally discouraged (I assume this is the clock multiplier for the cpu - e.g. maximizing performance). Is that the reason to enable it?

Attachments

• IMG_1745.jpg
    IMG_1745.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 48
Middleman,

Thanks for the help. Yes, I'm trying to boot Monterey (.3 to be precise). I guess I didn't pay enough attention to the files you'd provided and just assumed that they were of the same OC version (0.78) that I'd been seeing recently.

Anyway, I went ahead and tested it out (after added a missing IntelBluetooth.kext).

I'm now getting a different Kernel error (see attached). I can see that there's a "ACPI: PHATpanic" associated with the ACPIPlatform, but I can't get much else out of the visible messages,so if you have a clue as to what may be causing it I'd appreciate the suggestions.

I'm wonder if I should try switching up the ACPI aml addons a bit more, but would like your input under the assumption you have a better idea as to what's going on. For example, I notice that in aneox's config he used SSDT-PLUG-ALT (instead of ALT-12), SSDT-DMAC, and SSDT-DMAR. He also does not have SSDT-HPET and has SSDT-SBUS-MCHC disabled. Thoughts?

As an aside, I reviewed your other changes as I wrote this (probably should have done before testing...):
  • I note that you toggled AppleXcpmCfgLock on, while the documentation seems to imply it is not needed if cfg-loclk is disabled in BIOS, I assume that since I can't actually find that option in my bios that I should stick with your setting.
  • You mentioned setting DisableIoMapper off, but it was still on in my config.plist. That said, I'm inclined to leave it on since I left VD-T enabled in bios.
  • You said you had CustomsSMBIOSGuid off - somehow it got turned on. I've turned it off, but have yet to test it again. Although, I wonder if I should leave it on since UpdateSMBIOSMode is set to Custom in the PlatformInfo settings?
  • Finally, I'm curious about AppleXcpmForceBoost, and why it is set to on. The docs say it sets the max multiplier and is generally discouraged (I assume this is the clock multiplier for the cpu - e.g. maximizing performance). Is that the reason to enable it?
Hi Grahamj1978,

Okay first things first. The reason the settings are what they are is because they were what was needed with my Asus Z690 setup.

a) SSDT-PLUG-ALT is what I've used in my build because I have the i9-12900K - but as yours is 12 cores you need to use SSDT-PLUG-ALT-12 instead. It's a totally necessary SSDT because under Alder Lake the processors in the BIOS firmware are assigned as devices by the BIOS instead of as individual CPUs. Without this SSDT wrapper your system boot up will stall.

b) SSDT-HPET and SSDT-SBUS-MCHC are both absolutely required SSDTs because one handles the system HPET table and the other the System Management Bus (SBUS) controller for your devices. I've had to enable this for 90% of my setups anything from H370 to Z490-Z690. The HPET is needed is because the table also handles the IRQ interrupts for your system.

c) I've intentionally left SSDT-DMAC and SSDT-DMAR on as per CaseySJ's recommendations. If they don't work for you then you should turn them off. Personally I've hardly used SSDT-DMAC or DMAR on any of my setups so far.
DMAC is for the DMA controller and DMAR is the DMA Remapping table.

d) DisableIOMapper IS off on my setup because I'm booting Big Sur. However I've noticed it being necessary for a number of builds on Monterey 12.3 now so I have switched it on - it is for IOMapper support in XNU. If VT-d is on there's no need to enable this.

e) AppleXcpmForceBoost is on because I found/tested that's what was needed on my Asus Z690 board to boot into both Big Sur and Monterey. I believe it is an Asus quirk.

f) CustomsSMBIOSGuid is off for most of my setups. Unless it's a really stubborn build it should work most of the time disabled.

I would suggest for reasons of simplicity, you should try to use minimum OC v0.7.8 and disable any kexts related to say Bluetooth & WiFi like IntelBluetoothFirmware and Bluetoolfixup until you have a working bootable system.
At the bare minimum, try to get the system to post and login to macOS and the GPU to work. Unlike others I don't recommend first time users jumping head first into using say, the latest OC v0.8.0. with their setups because that is still under initial testing by the community (so to speak) and will often have possible bugs pop up as well with related kexts.

Thank you! My mistake was that i thought i have Realtek 4080 with usb interface.
After loading to linux, i found codec name "same as ALC897"

So now i have changed
Code:
<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x1)</key>
  <dict>
    <key>AAPL,slot-name</key>
    <string>Internal@0,1,0/0,0/0,0/0,1</string>
    <key>device_type</key>
    <string>Audio device</string>
    <key>model</key>
    <string></string>
</dict>

to:

Code:
            <key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1F,0x3)</key>
            <dict>
                <key>layout-id</key>
                <data>0C000000</data>
                <key>device_type</key>
                <key>model</key>
                <string>Realtek</string>
            </dict>

and its works now, but after restart i found that config changed to

Code:
            <key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1F,0x3)</key>
            <dict>
                <key>layout-id</key>
                <data>DAAAAA==</data>
                <key>device_type</key>
                <key>model</key>
                <string>Realtek</string>
            </dict>

but it still works, thx
Hello
can share your config.plist
please. and config bios

I have the same motherboard
thank you

Hi - I have an ASUS TUF Z690 Plus wifi. Trying to use your EFI and the OC picker comes up. Once the installer starts the progress bar starts gets about 30% then I get the circle with the line through it. Is there anything in the bios that needs to be set?
H-, have you had any more luck with this? I'm experiencing the same issue. Have tried lookoing through bios for potential variables. thanks!
John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back