Contribute
Register

Asus sabertooth x79 and geforce gtx 1070 ti (Catalina)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth X79
CPU
Intel core i7-3820
Graphics
Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070ti
Hi, I was wondering if it's possible to install macOS Catalina on this set up. If so what boot args will I need to use? It keeps freezing at the same point which is shown in images.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20200410_084743.jpg
    20200410_084743.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 129
  • 20200410_084820.jpg
    20200410_084820.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Hi, I was wondering if it's possible to install macOS Catalina on this set up. If so what boot args will I need to use? It keeps freezing at the same point which is shown in images.

Thanks

Hello there.

Unfortunately there are some problems here if your hardware is as per your Profile ...

1) The GTX1070 is not supported. No NVidia Pascal GPU is after High Sierra. If lucky you may get the GPU to work in basic VESA mode. Normally people use the Intel iGPU but I think your i7-3820 doesn't have one.

2) The "1689" error is well-known and can be corrected easily. Search "1689" and you'll find it :thumbup:

3) Although I'm not an expert in squeezing Catalina onto an X79 platform, there are many who are around here. Take a look here for example:

4) The Prohibited sign can be caused by a couple of things - the USB system becoming disabled and incompatible or badly configured hardware. If you follow the help offered at (3) you might get past this. If not test to see if USB is still live once boot commences. Easy way is, if using a wired keyboard with a CAPS-Lock LED, press the key and check the LED lights. If so, good, if not USB has become disabled.

If I were you, I'd install High Sierra instead and use the NVidia web-drivers to get fully-accelerated graphics. This will at least give you a working Hackintosh to play around with :thumbup:

:)

Hello there.

Unfortunately there are some problems here if your hardware is as per your Profile ...

1) The GTX1070 is not supported. No NVidia Pascal GPU is after High Sierra. If lucky you may get the GPU to work in basic VESA mode. Normally people use the Intel iGPU but I think your i7-3820 doesn't have one.

2) The "1689" error is well-known and can be corrected easily. Search "1689" and you'll find it :thumbup:

3) Although I'm not an expert in squeezing Catalina onto an X79 platform, there are many who are around here. Take a look here for example:

4) The Prohibited sign can be caused by a couple of things - the USB system becoming disabled and incompatible or badly configured hardware. If you follow the help offered at (3) you might get past this. If not test to see if USB is still live once boot commences. Easy way is, if using a wired keyboard with a CAPS-Lock LED, press the key and check the LED lights. If so, good, if not USB has become disabled.

If I were you, I'd install High Sierra instead and use the NVidia web-drivers to get fully-accelerated graphics. This will at least give you a working Hackintosh to play around with :thumbup:

:)
Thanks for your response.

I managed to get passed the 1689 error but now stuck with some ethernet error

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back