Contribute
Register

Asus Rampage V Extreme - Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11.5 Installation Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I've followed the guide exactly but when I get to the stage of booting into the USB after changing my BIOS settings nothing happens. I just boot into a black screen. Im running the same mobo/cpu, and I have tried this proccess 3 or 4 times, all ending up being stuck at a black screen with the code: Ad on my motherboard. I'm happy to provide any screenshots of anything that might help the issue. I'm 100% new to all of this, so I'm sorry if any of my terminology is wrong!

Last edited:
Well I have had to postpone my update, because the time it would allocate for that reason, should use it to solve a family and now again busy at work problems.
I think now wait for you to leave the final version of Sierra on 20 September.

But I want to leave something for the moment.

This is the BIOS 3301 version with 0xE2 Unlocked.

0xE2 Locked
0xE2%20Locked.PNG

0xE2 Unlocked
0xE2%20Unlocked.png

DOWNLOAD
To install the BIOS Unlocked follow these steps.
  • Using a USB in FAT32 format.
  • Insert the USB into the USB BIOS Flashback.
  • USB BIOS Flashback button pressed for 3 seconds. (The Light of the BIOS will flash a few minutes, waiting for the end)).
  • Configure BIOS settings again with my guide explained.
"Update the BIOS at your own risk, I do not make me responsible for damage or poor installation."

I've been using BIOS Unlocked and I can confirm that there have been no problems.

Last edited:
Hi, I've followed the guide exactly but when I get to the stage of booting into the USB after changing my BIOS settings nothing happens. I just boot into a black screen. Im running the same mobo/cpu, and I have tried this proccess 3 or 4 times, all ending up being stuck at a black screen with the code: Ad on my motherboard. I'm happy to provide any screenshots of anything that might help the issue. I'm 100% new to all of this, so I'm sorry if any of my terminology is wrong!
Hi
Show me a screenshot, and could tell me what graphics card you are using? you can update your profile with your hardware.

Hi Xavi16.
Thank you for your guide. It's very great job.
I want to install OSX on may pc but I have some question:
1. Is it possible to have a multi boot (Win 10 and OSX) with a modified parameters of the bios according your guide? I have two ssd Hard drive and I'll install OSX in the second ssd drive
2. I have two samsung ssd 850 pro. Can that cause some installation problems?
3. In the 3202 bios how can I set USBInstaller as primary boot? If I don't insert my USB into USB port before boot, The bios don't recognize any USB drive and no USB drive option appear on possible boot. If no USB pen drive is iserted on USB port I cannot choice USB as first boot device. Can you post a screenshot where you set this parameter?

I hope that, following step by step your guide, I will not find any problems.
Thank you very much

My hardware:

UEFI BIOS: 3202
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V Extreme
CPU: Intel 5930k
RAM: 16GB crucial
Graphics: Gigabyte G1 GTX 980
PSU: Corsair AX1200i
Hard Drive: x2 Samsung SSD 850 Pro
Cooler: Corsair H110i
Case: Obsidian 750D
Mouse: Logitech G502
Keyboard: Logitech G910 Orion Spark

Last edited:
Hi Xavi16.
Thank you for your guide. It's very great job.
I want to install OSX on may pc but I have some question:
1. Is it possible to have a multi boot (Win 10 and OSX) with a modified parameters of the bios according your guide? I have two ssd Hard drive and I'll install OSX in the second ssd drive
2. I have two samsung ssd 850 pro. Can that cause some installation problems?
3. In the 3202 bios how can I set USBInstaller as primary boot? If I don't insert my USB into USB port before boot, The bios don't recognize any USB drive and no USB drive option appear on possible boot. If no USB pen drive is iserted on USB port I cannot choice USB as first boot device. Can you post a screenshot where you set this parameter?

I hope that, following step by step your guide, I will not find any problems.
Thank you very much

My hardware:

UEFI BIOS: 3202
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V Extreme
CPU: Intel 5930k
RAM: 16GB crucial
Graphics: Gigabyte G1 GTX 980
PSU: Corsair AX1200i
Hard Drive: x2 Samsung SSD 850 Pro
Cooler: Corsair H110i
Case: Obsidian 750D
Mouse: Logitech G502
Keyboard: Logitech G910 Orion Spark

Hi, thanks

1- Of course! You can have a multi-boot with OS all you want without any kind of problem. You use the first SSD to MacOS and the second for Windows (other), you need only change the boot order your SSD where install MacOS, when you start and see the menu Clover can choose with which Booting system.

2- I have three SSD 850 Pro and M.2 SM951 (I have installed Windows 10 Pro, MacOS El Capitan, Sierra MacOS and Linux) without any problem.

3- Connect your USBInstaller into a USB port, turn on your PC and press F8 to select a boot device, select the name of your USB.
When your installation is finished, and you have installed on the SSD clover with MacOS (Post Install steps), you will need to enter the BIOS and set the boot order. (You can see the Boot tab in the BIOS menu and down in the last options you can choose the boot order.)

Hi, thanks

1- Of course! You can have a multi-boot with OS all you want without any kind of problem. You use the first SSD to MacOS and the second for Windows (other), you need only change the boot order your SSD where install MacOS, when you start and see the menu Clover can choose with which Booting system.

2- I have three SSD 850 Pro and M.2 SM951 (I have installed Windows 10 Pro, MacOS El Capitan, Sierra MacOS and Linux) without any problem.

3- Connect your USBInstaller into a USB port, turn on your PC and press F8 to select a boot device, select the name of your USB.
When your installation is finished, and you have installed on the SSD clover with MacOS (Post Install steps), you will need to enter the BIOS and set the boot order. (You can see the Boot tab in the BIOS menu and down in the last options you can choose the boot order.)

With 2 or more OS installed, have the bios parameters remain as you report in the guide or we can set them as factory default?

With 2 or more OS installed, have the bios parameters remain as you report in the guide or we can set them as factory default?
you will not need to do anything in the BIOS, select only the SSD where you install Mac OS as the primary boot disk, remember that in this Clover SSD should be installed so you can boot MacOS.

Clover automatically detects other installed systems, but you must make your PC boot from clover, as I mentioned above.

Hi Xavi16,
I'm sorry but the installation process doesn't start. I have created the USB installer, installed EFI Clover on it, replaced files downloaded (USB EFI Install) and then sticked Tools folder inside it.
I have configured the bios (3202 version) according your guide (in fourth point I didn't select anything because I have choosed then).
Finally I have connected my USBInstaller into a USB port (3.0), turned on my PC and pressed F8 to select a boot device: the installation process doesn't start and come back into the bios.
In which step am I doing wrong?
Thank you.

p.s. where did you learn all these things?

Hi Xavi16,
I'm sorry but the installation process doesn't start. I have created the USB installer, installed EFI Clover on it, replaced files downloaded (USB EFI Install) and then sticked Tools folder inside it.
I have configured the bios (3202 version) according your guide (in fourth point I didn't select anything because I have choosed then).
Finally I have connected my USBInstaller into a USB port (3.0), turned on my PC and pressed F8 to select a boot device: the installation process doesn't start and come back into the bios.
In which step am I doing wrong?
Thank you.

p.s. where did you learn all these things?
Ok, seems to have something wrong, may be the BIOS settings or your USB, you have the hardware almost similar to mine employee in this guide so if it works for me and others in this forum should work for you too.

Try to place your USBInstaller into a USB 2.0 port, if the installer starts, continues with the fourth step.

If you fail to even start, send me your EFI Folder you have within the USBInstaller, remember to mount the EFI partition of your USB first to copy it.

Luck.

Hey Xavi, I hope you are well. I have been thinking about this for a few days. My system is running great now. I got two SATA ports working as hot swappable. All USB is working and my GeekBench 3 score is about 21400 which I am happy with. Also the output from my Intel Power Gadget when I run GeekBench flat-lines at peak load, which in my case is 3.4GHz. Although when I make my SSDT, Turbo comes out at 3.6GHz.

BUT.... I am now convinced that my power management is not right. I thought this was the case since I started this build and I agree with you that there is more that can be done. The fact that my system cannot reach 3.6GHz (turbo) and I only have about eighteen P-states tell me that things aren't quite right. So... here are my thoughts:

1. Firstly, many posted outputs I have seen show Intel Power Gadget with a sustained peak output which is NOT at all smooth. At peak performance, Intel Power Gadget should ideally be FLAT (a horizontal straight line). The objective of power management is to make available to the system, as many processor speeds as possible and to ensure that any chosen speed, if sustained, remains as constant possible.

2. Just using NullCPUPowerManagement.kext can achieve this but it is NOT the answer. This was my situation.

3. I think that the System Model Definition is VERY important. I am using MacPro6.1 with a 5820k processor and I think that this combination together with NullCPUPowerMangement.kext gives me very limited P-states when I run ssdtPRGen.sh. I know now that ssdtPRGen.sh should not be run with NullCPUPowerManagement.kext loaded.

4. So why not just ditch NullCPUPowerMangement.kext? A good question. The answer is simple; my system will not boot without it. It panics too quickly for me to see why it does that.

POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS

To initially install with a model definition that supports my processor better. The best one I can think of is iMac15.1 as it has a Haswell processor. This will give me the proper frequency vectors that I need and with this definition, I might be able to do without NullCPUPowerMangement.kext which will allow me to run Piker Alpha's ssdtPRGen.sh script with more confidence. Now I should end up with a much better SSDT file for my processor.

I think I will then have to edit X86PlatformPlugIn.kext so that everything MacPro6.1 is replaced with iMac15.1 data.

Once that is done, I can switch my model definition to MacPro6.1.

So far, that is all theory. I am not sure if it will work or even if I am barking up the right tree.

My Config.Plist file currently has 'KernelHaswellE' and '-xcpm' checked and I use FakeCPUID set to 0x0306E0 (so my system thinks it has an Ivy Bridge processor). I now know that KernelHaswellE restricts power management. So... I think that if I do the above, perhaps (hopefully) none of this will be necessary.

I did try obtaining a SSDT with boot flags for iMac15.2 but this did not work as I still had NullCPUPowerManagement.kext loaded and perhaps my Config.Plist settings are messing things up, anyway.

Also, I have seen some posts of people doing this and their Intel Power Gadget outputs still continue to show very erratic sustained peak performance. Not a flat horizontal line as what is desired.

The only thing I really need to resolve is doing away with NullCPUPowerManagement.kext.

Hello Friend

I'm sorry you had forgotten respond so late answer, plus I've been kind of busy.

Right, I tried vectors iMac 15.1 and 14.2, both work great.

You do not need NullCPUPowerMangement.kext when cpu SSDT is responsible for loading XCPM, in addition to SSDT load the vectors you need to add SCK0 to your SSDT without this XCPM not turn on. (See inside the SSDT my guide)

You can use FakeCPUID or apply patches to the kernel as explained PikerAlpha.

You do not need KernelHaswellE or -XCPM.

I see that you know and are very observant, play a bit with the installation until the best, I wanted to update my guide but I like to do a fairly detailed guide and my style but I demand a long time, now do not have.

Sierra is already in sight,so you may direct all my attention and time to this new OS.

Let me know your results and what you've accomplished, I'll give you more imformacion soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back