Contribute
Register

Asus Rampage V Extreme - Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11.5 Installation Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
I make SSDT and DSDT with ssdtPRGen.sh and i reinstall X99PlatformPlugin.kext and EAPDFix.kext, i am making the new usb boot, after i post the result. :)

I install the new SSDT and reinstall the kexts but my cpu now in geekbench 13600 or 15000 or 16500 or 17200...

Last edited:
I install the new SSDT and reinstall the kexts but my cpu now in geekbench 13600 or 15000 or 16500 or 17200...

There is something strange, try removed X99PlatformPlugin.kext.
then run Geekbench, save your results.
Now add the FakeCPUID and running again Geekbench, save your results again.

I have make a new installation in new disk, and score Geekbench:

1. (i don't install X99PlatformPlugin.kext) - 14359, or 16349 or etc, or etc, or etc....

2. FakeCPUID - 18798, 18796, etc, more stable

Last edited:
I have make a new installation in new disk, and score Geekbench:

1. (i don't install X99PlatformPlugin.kext) - 14359, or 16349 or etc, or etc, or etc....

2. FakeCPUID - 18798, 18796, etc, more stable
Do you have NullCPUPowermanagement.kext installed? I think you either need this or X99PlatformPlugin.kext. Also, in BIOS, you should disable EIST (SpeedStep) but keep Turbo switched on. Then you need to make a SSDT to get speedstep working properly.

Yes, I have install NullCPUPowermanagement.kext now (FakeCPUID geekbench - 18798, 18796, etc, more stable), but i installed X99PlatformPlugin.kext and the results were aleatory.... I dont know what happens. In Windows 10 better results in GeekBench.

Last edited:
If you are following Xavi's method, you should only be using X99PlatformPlugin.kext and you should not need FakeCPUID. Everything should work. Did you generate X99PlatformPlugin.kext from your system?

I am using Xavi's method as a guide only. My X99 build was already running. I just needed to tweak some things and his guide has helped me a lot.

As you have probably guessed, I am using NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, FakeCPUID and my config.plist is a little different. What I am trying to say, is that I think you need to decide if you are able to adopt Xavi's method to your particular system or if you need to take guidance from it but actually do your own method (which is what I did).

Xavi's board is a Rampage V Extreme. Mine is a Asus X99a/USB3.1. Although the boards are similar, there is no way for example, I would be able to use Xavi's DSDT.

I hope that all makes sense.

Updates coming soon

I'll have some free time, and I'll make some new updates to the installation guide and as soon as I finish with this.

I work in significant improvements for better performance stability and fully operational.

Currently my system is 100% stable, but I think we can improve more, also will add new things to help everyone.

Updates coming soon

I'll have some free time, and I'll make some new updates to the installation guide and as soon as I finish with this.

I work in significant improvements for better performance stability and fully operational.

Currently my system is 100% stable, but I think we can improve more, also will add new things to help everyone.
Hi Xavi. Wow, that's great.

My system is also working very well but I still feel that it could be better.

I am stuck on a problem. I would like to have one or two of my SATA ports to be hot swappable like eSATA. I am looking for a DSDT solution to this. Since all my ports are driven from two Intel SATA controllers, I do not think this can be done with kexts.

Here is my request for help on this.

It would be fantastic if we could crack this one. I think it would help a lot of people.

My NVMe drive is working great. It is NOT AHCI but NVMe. You might be interested in this here.

Hey Xavi, I hope you are well. I have been thinking about this for a few days. My system is running great now. I got two SATA ports working as hot swappable. All USB is working and my GeekBench 3 score is about 21400 which I am happy with. Also the output from my Intel Power Gadget when I run GeekBench flat-lines at peak load, which in my case is 3.4GHz. Although when I make my SSDT, Turbo comes out at 3.6GHz.

BUT.... I am now convinced that my power management is not right. I thought this was the case since I started this build and I agree with you that there is more that can be done. The fact that my system cannot reach 3.6GHz (turbo) and I only have about eighteen P-states tell me that things aren't quite right. So... here are my thoughts:

1. Firstly, many posted outputs I have seen show Intel Power Gadget with a sustained peak output which is NOT at all smooth. At peak performance, Intel Power Gadget should ideally be FLAT (a horizontal straight line). The objective of power management is to make available to the system, as many processor speeds as possible and to ensure that any chosen speed, if sustained, remains as constant possible.

2. Just using NullCPUPowerManagement.kext can achieve this but it is NOT the answer. This was my situation.

3. I think that the System Model Definition is VERY important. I am using MacPro6.1 with a 5820k processor and I think that this combination together with NullCPUPowerMangement.kext gives me very limited P-states when I run ssdtPRGen.sh. I know now that ssdtPRGen.sh should not be run with NullCPUPowerManagement.kext loaded.

4. So why not just ditch NullCPUPowerMangement.kext? A good question. The answer is simple; my system will not boot without it. It panics too quickly for me to see why it does that.

POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS

To initially install with a model definition that supports my processor better. The best one I can think of is iMac15.1 as it has a Haswell processor. This will give me the proper frequency vectors that I need and with this definition, I might be able to do without NullCPUPowerMangement.kext which will allow me to run Piker Alpha's ssdtPRGen.sh script with more confidence. Now I should end up with a much better SSDT file for my processor.

I think I will then have to edit X86PlatformPlugIn.kext so that everything MacPro6.1 is replaced with iMac15.1 data.

Once that is done, I can switch my model definition to MacPro6.1.

So far, that is all theory. I am not sure if it will work or even if I am barking up the right tree.

My Config.Plist file currently has 'KernelHaswellE' and '-xcpm' checked and I use FakeCPUID set to 0x0306E0 (so my system thinks it has an Ivy Bridge processor). I now know that KernelHaswellE restricts power management. So... I think that if I do the above, perhaps (hopefully) none of this will be necessary.

I did try obtaining a SSDT with boot flags for iMac15.2 but this did not work as I still had NullCPUPowerManagement.kext loaded and perhaps my Config.Plist settings are messing things up, anyway.

Also, I have seen some posts of people doing this and their Intel Power Gadget outputs still continue to show very erratic sustained peak performance. Not a flat horizontal line as what is desired.

The only thing I really need to resolve is doing away with NullCPUPowerManagement.kext.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back