Contribute
Register

Asus ProArt Z490 Creator Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is only partially true. If you google some experiments and research, you will find that pcie gen 3 X8 provides enough bandwidth for most of GPU use, like gaming or video editing. It only shows 1% difference, which can be considered as a margin of errors. And if you use computing card, that is another story, and I think most of us would not be this case.

When a rendering takes 20 mins instead of 17 that is closer to 15% I also notice about 10 FPS loss on games.

IF you were using this as a rendering machine, I wouldn't go Intel non Xeon anyway. With only 16 lanes, it is a big limit. I can't speak for the AMD variety, but for mission critical, I wouldn't go Hackintosh.

IF you were using this as a rendering machine, I wouldn't go Intel non Xeon anyway. With only 16 lanes, it is a big limit. I can't speak for the AMD variety, but for mission critical, I wouldn't go Hackintosh.

I do a set of renderings for each house I design not mission-critical but 3 mins per shot can turn into hours of time in the end.

I think you might be confused about Xeon chip though the W3223 chip that is in the base 2019 mac pro has 64 lanes of PCI-E. The 16 lanes are for consumer-level chips like the I3/I5/I7/I9 even the HEDT CPU's like the 9900x has 44 Lanes.

Just a quick update I finally managed to get the Thunderbolt to see my UAD Apollo. At the moment it has to be turned on at boot to be recognized so hot swapping is next on the list. I did throw a quick post up on how I managed to get OSX installed on it. However, it doesn’t seem to have passed the pending approval state. After a quick review of the posting rules and after getting some sleep, I realized those posts require the use of Uni or MultiBeast to have been used, and I didn’t use either. But I can confirm the ASUS ProArt Z490 can be Hackintoshed with Thunderbolt.

Hi Steve, thanks for your Hackintosh build with ProArt Z490. I am gonna try it on my build tonight. Speaking of using TB3 and 10GBE simultaneously, I put my 10GBE on the second PCE slot instead of the third one. And it worked for both. I am a heavy TB3 user that basically connects all my I/O devices and displaying to my CalDigit TB3 dock. If you don't need a second slot, you can definitely try my solution.
Good to know thanks! The 10G Ethernet isn’t really of use to me now, but good to know in the future. When I did put it in, they said to use slot 3. So I figured perhaps where it disabled the Thunderbolt it was because it took over the chipset. In my install Thunderbolt wasn’t running, but today I managed to get my UAD Apollo up on it and seems to be working. My studio space is in disarray where I’m about to put down the flooring so my monitors are packed away safely but plugging in my headphones and everything seems on the money.

Good to know thanks! The 10G ethernet isn’t really of use to me now but good to know in the future. When I did put it in they said to use slot 3 so I figured perhaps where it disabled the Thunderbolt it was because it took over the chipset. In my install Thunderbolt wasn’t running but today I managed to get my UAD Apollo up on it and seems to be working. My studio space is in disarray where I’m about to put down the flooring so my monitors are packed away safely but plugging in my headphones and everything seems on the money

I tried with your Plist file last night, it works if I use iGPU as the output. The Fenvi wireless adapter works OOB. The 10GBE also works OOB with no extra Kext injected, this is the great news. But my NAS only has 400MB w/r max speed, so I cannot say if 10GBE is running at the max bandwidth or not, but it does reach the max speed my NAS could get. The downsides are 1) I cannot make dGPU (RX 5700XT) working; 2) cannot wake up from sleep; 3) CPU power strategy seems not right, I got 6100 with Cinebench r20 at the first round, and 5600 at the second round, and then keep at 4600. I used Intel Power Gadget to see the power consumption, it only maintains fewer 20s with 5.0GHz all core and package wattage of 200W, and then it always runs at 130W with about 4.3 GHz all cores. And the temperature is around 68 C. 4) onboard Ethernet doesn't work, but it is not an issue for me, I connect my Ethernet to my TB3 dock.

I know these issues can be fixed with proper kext injections, I am gonna work on those after I get dGPU running. I haven't checked TB3, and will do that as well after dGPU is fixed.

Just a quick update I finally managed to get the Thunderbolt to see my UAD Apollo. At the moment it has to be turned on at boot to be recognized so hot swapping is next on the list. I did throw a quick post up on how I managed to get OSX installed on it however it doesn’t seem to have passed the pending approval state. After a quick review of the posting rules after getting some sleep I realized those posts require the use of uni or multibeast to have been used and I didn’t use either. But I can confirm the ASUS ProArt Z490 can be Hackintoshed with Thunderbolt.

Looking forward to seeing your post after approval.

Looking forward to seeing your post after approval.
Don’t think it will get it considering it was a week ago lol
I went over the posting rules and my install doesn’t meet the criteria in that I didn’t use UniBeast or MultiBeast, purely a vanilla install. Anyone with the ProArt though looking to get it up and running is more than welcome to message me.

Quick Updates: now I get dGPU RX 5700XT running with headless iGPU; wake up from sleep works; update OS works on ASUS ProArt Z490

To-do list:
1. TB3 (and hot-swap)
2. CPU Power Management
3. Docker (probably related to virtualization)

I am a programmer + photographer. I feel excited that finally my build works now.

@anannyo @Stork If you guys are still interested in this mobo, I think it is time to build now.

Last edited:
Quick Updates: now I get dGPU RX 5700XT running with headless iGPU; wake up from sleep works; update OS works on ASUS ProArt Z490

To-do list:
1. TB3 (and hot-swap)
2. CPU Power Management
3. Docker (probably related to virtualization)

I am a programmer + photographer. I feel excited that finally my build works now.

@anannyo @Stork If you guys are still interested in this mobo, I think it is time to build now.
When I get home from work I’ll post the TB3 driver I modified here for you. Hot swap I am still working on and haven’t gotten around to wake from sleep yet. As long as I have the Apollo on before booting to OSX it connects fine. If I turn it off and back on, I have to reboot for it to connect again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back