Contribute
Register

Asus ProArt Z490 Creator Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried with your Plist file last night, it works if I use iGPU as the output. The Fenvi wireless adapter works OOB. The 10GBE also works OOB with no extra Kext injected, this is the great news. But my NAS only has 400MB w/r max speed, so I cannot say if 10GBE is running at the max bandwidth or not, but it does reach the max speed my NAS could get. The downsides are 1) I cannot make dGPU (RX 5700XT) working; 2) cannot wake up from sleep; 3) CPU power strategy seems not right, I got 6100 with Cinebench r20 at the first round, and 5600 at the second round, and then keep at 4600. I used Intel Power Gadget to see the power consumption, it only maintains fewer 20s with 5.0GHz all core and package wattage of 200W, and then it always runs at 130W with about 4.3 GHz all cores. And the temperature is around 68 C. 4) onboard ethernet doesn't work, but it is not an issue for me, I connect my ethernet to my TB3 dock.

I know these issues can be fixed with proper kext injections, I am gonna work on those after I get dGPU running. I haven't checked TB3, and will do that as well after dGPU is fixed.
Yes I am currently running the IGPU so that was the main workaround I had to get up first to install. For the onboard Ethernet I had to use the FakePciii kexts, and it is running fine. My Thunderbolt wasn’t seeing my Apollo at all until I found a driver from a Z390 build that had a similar address, it came up with it, but I did modify if from rp05 to rp21 as hackintool saw it. Seems to connect quicker now. Hot swap not up yet but now hackintool isn’t the only thing seeing it, and it is functional now.

I haven’t had a chance to even look at the CPU power strategy yet or benchmark, Thunderbolt was my main focus, because I am looking to switch my recording studio over to Mac for the purpose of giving Logic an honest try.

Yes I am currently running the IGPU so that was the main workaround I had to get up first to install. For the onboard Ethernet I had to use the FakePciii kexts and it is running fine. My Thunderbolt wasn’t seeing my Apollo at all until I found a driver from a z390 build that had a similar address, it came up with it but I did modify if from rp05 to rp21 as hackintool saw it. Seems to connect quicker now. Hot swap not up yet but now hackintool isn’t the only thing seeing it and it is functional now. And I haven’t had a chance to even look at the cpu power strategy yet or benchmark, Thunderbolt was my main focus because I am looking to switch my recording studio over to Mac for the purpose of giving logic an honest try.
Here is the aml I have that is working with my Thunderbolt. In the screenshot you can see the UAD control panel has it up and running. Hoping to get some time on the weekend to figure out the hot swap, as of right now I have to boot the Apollo with the system before OSX, or it won't see it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-27 at 12.54.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-27 at 12.54.30 PM.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 225
  • SSDT-TB3-APA.aml.zip
    1.8 KB · Views: 165
Here is the aml I have that is working with my thunderbolt. In the screenshot you can see the UAD control panel has it up and running. Hoping to get some time on the weekend to figure out the hot swap, as of right now I have to boot the Apollo with the system before OSX or it won't see it.

Great! Thank you, Steve! Let me try it out.

Here is the aml I have that is working with my thunderbolt. In the screenshot you can see the UAD control panel has it up and running. Hoping to get some time on the weekend to figure out the hot swap, as of right now I have to boot the Apollo with the system before OSX or it won't see it.
I couldn't boot into Mac with TB3 enabled, could you share your BT3 BIOS setting and the plist with me?

I couldn't boot into Mac with TB3 enabled, could you share your BT3 BIOS setting and the plist with me?
Here are my BIOS settings for it. I also have it updated to the June release that ASUS has on the website, just in case you didn’t think to check, so my BIOS is version 0607.

As for my plist, it is the same one I installed with the only change I made to it was I installed with Vt-d enabled in the BIOS and disableiomapper set to true. Afterwards, as I was working on the Thunderbolt, I disabled Vt-d and set disableiomapper to false in the plist. Just check that setting because it is the only one I changed from the install. And without hot swap working I have to have the Apollo booted before I start the machine, and the system overview still shows no Thunderbolt drivers loaded but the Apollo shows up under Audio.

Attachments

• F5E30CB0-8BED-4EC9-9762-00C185922C58.jpeg
    F5E30CB0-8BED-4EC9-9762-00C185922C58.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 272
  • 6DC45B9E-96C0-4B0F-8E01-230C931336FE.jpeg
    6DC45B9E-96C0-4B0F-8E01-230C931336FE.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 263
  • 7D056656-9012-457E-8285-8CFD342F99FE.jpeg
    7D056656-9012-457E-8285-8CFD342F99FE.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 238
  • 16124464-371D-4EE8-B41E-9D9AC5A71766.jpeg
    16124464-371D-4EE8-B41E-9D9AC5A71766.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 252
Here are my BIOS settings for it. I also have it updated to the June release that ASUS has on the website, just in case you didn’t think to check, so my bios is version 0607.
as for my plist it is the same one I installed with the only change I made to it was I installed with Vt-d enabled in the bios and disableiomapper set to true and afterwards as I was working on the Thunderbolt I disabled Vt-d and set disableiomapper to false in the plist. Just check that setting because it is the only one I changed from the install. And without hot swap working I have to have the Apollo booted before I start the machine, and the system overview still shows no Thunderbolt drivers loaded but the Apollo shows up under Audio

TB3 works! The display output works too and surprisingly the display output can hot-swapping. All I did, I just changed Window 10 support to the first option. But other components don't support hot-swap, but I think it is at least enough to move my workstation to this PC now. Did you test Docker on your Hackintosh? I cannot get it running.

TB3 works! The display output works too and surprisingly the display output can hot-swapping. All I did, I just changed Window 10 support to the first option. But other components don't support hot-swap, but I think it is at least enough to move my workstation to this PC now. Did you test Docker on your Hackintosh? I cannot get it running.
That’s awesome glad you got it up and running! I tried the Windows 10/rt3 setting but come to think of it I don’t think I did after I got that driver up and running so I’ll have to try it again, maybe I’ll be able to fire up the Apollo after it is booted. How much did it take you to get the wake from sleep running, accidentally put it to sleep so had to reboot to get back up

That’s awesome glad you got it up and running! I tried the windows 10/rt3 setting but come to think of it I don’t think I did after I got that driver up and running so I’ll have to try it again, maybe I’ll be able to fire up the Apollo after it is booted. How much did it take you to get the wake from sleep running, accidentally put it to sleep so had to reboot to get back up
And no I haven’t gotten around to testing the docker yet

And no I haven’t gotten around to testing the docker yet
That’s awesome glad you got it up and running! I tried the windows 10/rt3 setting but come to think of it I don’t think I did after I got that driver up and running so I’ll have to try it again, maybe I’ll be able to fire up the Apollo after it is booted. How much did it take you to get the wake from sleep running, accidentally put it to sleep so had to reboot to get back up

The wake up from sleep is pretty quick, actually it is quicker than my MacBook Pro. You should change your setting on "Energy Saver": check "Put hard disks to sleep when possible" and UNCHECK all other items.

And quick updates about last night progress:
1. The docker works, all I did was just enable Intel Virtualization Technology (or something related) in BIOS, docker works flawlessly.
2. The CPU Power is handled by the motherboard. The original issue was that it cannot maintain 5.0GHz frequency for multiple rounds of Cinebench r20 (And other software). I changed the max long duration wattage limit to 250W from Auto, and right now my CPU runs at 5.0GHz consistently. It actually outperforms the score I got in Windows, and 300 higher than "Auto" wattage limit. The full-load temperature is still around 70 -80 C, which I think it is good.
3. There are only two items in my To-Do list now: hot-swap TB3 and USB mapping.

Thank you Steve for your plist file and TB3 help!

The wake up from sleep is pretty quick, actually it is quicker than my MacBook Pro. You should change your setting on "Energy Saver": check "Put hard disks to sleep when possible" and UNCHECK all other items.

And quick updates about last night progress:
1. The docker works, all I did was just enable Intel Virtualization Technology (or something related) in Bios, docker works flawlessly.
2. The CPU Power is handled by the motherboard. The original issue was that it cannot maintain 5.0GHz frequency for multiple rounds of Cinebench r20 (And other software). I changed the max long duration wattage limit to 250W from Auto, and right now my CPU runs at 5.0GHz consistently. It actually outperforms the score I got in Windows, and 300 higher than "Auto" wattage limit. The full-load temperature is still around 70 -80 C, which I think it is good.
3. There are only two items in my To-Do list now: hot-swap TB3 and USB mapping.

Thank you Steve for your plist file and TB3 help!
My pleasure! Glad I could help. At least we have it opened up so now anyone considering the board knows it works, and I’m sure there are definitely others out there that can open up its possibilities even more. I was about to give up on it and order the Gigabyte, but came across someone who managed to get through the install and just kept going from there. Thanks for your help too hopefully I’ll get the hot swap and wake up issues done tonight and can put it into service this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back