Contribute
Register

Asus ProArt Z490 Creator Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Might I ask if there's a verdict regarding whether the Asus ProArt Z490 is a safely reliable choice for a Hackintosh build? I see a few people have been tinkering with it and made some spotty progress.

There's apparently one guy on a German hackintosh site who had managed to have good progress:

I'd like to begin a build of my own, and I have a Gigabyte Z490 Vision-D on backorder, but all things considered, I prefer the feature set and design of the ProArt.

Last edited:
Might I ask if there's a verdict regarding whether the Asus ProArt Z490 is a safely reliable choice for a Hackintosh build? I see a few people have been tinkering with it and made some spotty progress.

There's apparently one guy on a German hackintosh site who had managed to have good progress:

I'd like to begin a build of my own, and I have a Gigabyte Z490 Vision-D on backorder, but all things considered, I prefer the feature set and design of the ProArt.
I’ve just finally managed to get Catalina running on my new ProArt with a 10400. I’ve always bought ASUS boards in the 20+ years I’ve been building computers for for my studio, and I wish I had read the fine print first on this one, I’d likely have bought the Vision D instead.

The one thing I did notice was they were only using PCIe Gen 3 on it. However, I missed the fine print saying that, if you used the included 10G card, it disables the Thunderbolt. Had my focus been on video production and not audio, I would have been substantially more disappointed in ASUS. They are using both of those features as a selling point for video producers, and they would want both options available simultaneously as PCIe Gen 4 would likely have been able to accomplish it. The onboard 2.5G is still a step up from Gigabit, or would be for someone with the hardware.

The real disappointment for me with the board though is both of the DisplayPorts on the back are inputs only direct to the Thunderbolt, and the board only has a single HDMI out. So for me to continue using a multi monitor setup, I will have to put in a video card, which is a great option for getting multiple high resolution sources in for the video guys, not for us that need multiple outs.

Other than that I am looking forward, once again, to getting it completely finished and running in the studio with my new Apollo now that I have managed to get Catalina installed on it.

I’ve just finally managed to get Catalina running on my new ProArt with a 10400...
Please, please publish a User Build description or a guide in Catalina Desktop Guides. TIA.

Please, please publish a User Build description or a guide in Catalina Desktop Guides. TIA.
I just got home from work and am going to work on it for a bit but I’ll make a copy of the config.plist and bios settings for everyone that worked for me and post them. There were a couple things I did a little differents than the ROG Z490 build. I figured his might get me up and running, but in the end I used straight kexts and none of the fake ones to get it installed.

About to put them in to try and get the 2.5Gb LAN and audio up. I had to disable them during the install, though, which is where I think it finally stopped crashing. Also I had VT-d ENABLED and DisableIoMapper set to true in the config. I actually used the setup in the screenshot I found from the guy who had help from the German forum, that on a vanilla 10.15.6 latest public release build, and the plist I was using with a fresh OC snapshot. It came right up. Not sure if it had anything to do with it either, but it seemed to crash faster on the back USB ports so I used the front case one.

DEF033E8-72AB-4BB8-BA22-F96A30D8EFB8.jpeg

Last edited:
I just got home from work and am going to work on it for a bit but I’ll make a copy of the config.plist and bios settings for everyone that worked for me and post them. There were a couple things I did a little differents than the ROG Z490 build. I figured his might get me up and running, but in the end I used straight kexts and none of the fake ones to get it installed.

About to put them in to try and get the 2.5Gb LAN and audio up. I had to disable them during the install, though, which is where I think it finally stopped crashing. Also I had VT-d ENABLED and DisableIoMapper set to true in the config. I actually used the setup in the screenshot I found from the guy who had help from the German forum, that on a vanilla 10.15.6 latest public release build, and the plist I was using with a fresh OC snapshot. It came right up. Not sure if it had anything to do with it either, but it seemed to crash faster on the back USB ports so I used the front case one.

View attachment 485073
As for my build, it is the ProArt with the 10400 and 32GB of G. Skill Aegis 2666 and a Western Digital sn750 500GB NVMe.

And I did update the BIOS to the June release off ASUS website.

Just injected the FakePCIID_Intel_HDMI_Audio, FakePCIID_Intel_I225-V and FakePCIID kexts and rebooted and am using Safari on the machine to post this and system sounds are playing out of the Samsung TV I have it plugged into so Intel HD audio and I225-V ethernet are working. About to reboot and turn the ThunderBolt back on and hope it is natively supported as it is supposed to be.
BTW here is the config .plist I installed with. Also have yet to try all the USB ports however only one of the two USB ports is working at the moment and it is plugged into the USB 3.2 get 1 header on the board.

Attachments

• config.plist.zip
    4.9 KB · Views: 227
And I'll apologize to the ops and board now, I just realized there is another board stamp on the screenshot of files I used that I posted
Just edited it and reposted for everyone

Last edited:
I’ve just finally managed to get Catalina running on my new ProArt with a 10400. I’ve always bought ASUS boards in the 20+ years I’ve been building computers for for my studio and I wish I had read the fine print first on this one, I’d likely have bought the Vision d instead. The one thing I did notice was they were only using pcie gen 3 on it however I missed the fine print saying that if you used the included 10G card it disables the Thunderbolt. Had my focus been on video production and not audio I would have been substantially more disappointed in ASUS where they are using both of those features as a selling point for video producers, they would want both options available simultaneously, pcie gen 4 would likely have been able to accomplish it. The onboard 2.5G is still a step up from gigabit, or would be for someone with the hardware.
The real disappointment for me with the board though is both of the DisplayPorts on the back are inputs only direct to the Thunderbolt and the board only has a single HDMI out so for me to continue using a multi monitor setup I will have to put in a video card, great option for getting multiple high resolution sources in for the video guys, not for us that need multiple outs.
Other than that I am looking forward, once again, to getting it completely finished and running in the studio with my new Apollo now that I have managed to get Catalina installed on it.

Hi Steve, thanks for your Hackintosh build with ProArt Z490. I am gonna try it on my build tonight. Speaking of using TB3 and 10GBE simultaneously, I put my 10GBE on the second PCE slot instead of the third one. And it worked for both. I am a heavy TB3 user that basically connects all my I/O devices and displaying to my CalDigit TB3 dock. If you don't need a second slot, you can definitely try my solution.

Hi Steve, thanks for your Hackintosh build with ProArt Z490. I am gonna try it on my build tonight. Speaking of using TB3 and 10GBE simultaneously, I put my 10GBE on the second PCE slot instead of the third one. And it worked for both. I am a heavy TB3 user that basically connects all my I/O devices and displaying to my CalDigit TB3 dock. If you don't need a second slot, you can definitely try my solution.

normally putting something in slot two makes slot one run at 8x instead of 16 decreasing your GPU performance

Just injected the FakePCIID_Intel_HDMI_Audio, FakePCIID_Intel_I225-V and FakePCIID kexts and rebooted and am using Safari on the machine to post this and system sounds are playing out of the Samsung TV I have it plugged into so Intel HD audio and I225-V ethernet are working. About to reboot and turn the ThunderBolt back on and hope it is natively supported as it is supposed to be.
BTW here is the config .plist I installed with. Also have yet to try all the USB ports however only one of the two USB ports is working at the moment and it is plugged into the USB 3.2 get 1 header on the board.
normally putting something in slot two makes slot one run at 8x instead of 16 decreasing your GPU performance
That is only partially true. If you Google some experiments and research, you will find that PCIe 3en 3 X8 provides enough bandwidth for most of GPU use, like gaming or video editing. It only shows 1% difference, which can be considered as a margin of errors. And, if you use computing card, that is another story, and I think most of us would not be this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back