Contribute
Register

Asus P8P67-M PRO Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
here are the install notes:

This has to be done manually (from command-line):
The X is the drive identifier on which snow has been installed
and/or the one you 'd want to use for booting (e.g.: USB).
You can find that identifier with the diskutil list command.
sudo -s
newfs_hfs -v EFI /dev/diskXs1
fdisk -f boot0hfs -u -y /dev/rdiskX
dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXs1
mkdir /Volumes/EFI
mount_hfs /dev/diskXs1 /Volumes/EFI
cp boot /Volumes/EFI

If you have windows on another partition, do not follow those steps in blue
fdisk -e /dev/rdiskX
p
f 1
w
y
q
mkdir /Volumes/EFI/Extra
mkdir /Volumes/EFI/Extra/10.6/Extensions
mkdir /Volumes/EFI/.fseventsd
touch /Volumes/EFI/.fseventsd/no_log
Then, u 'd want to copy your extra kexts and/or kernel etc...
cp mach_kernel /Volumes/EFI/
cp Extensions.mkext /Volumes/EFI/Extra/10.6/Extensions/
cp *.aml /Volumes/EFI/Extra/
cp com.apple.boot.plist /Volumes/EFI/Extra/
cp smbios.plist /Volumes/EFI/Extra/
cp Themes /Volumes/EFI/Extra/
Finally you 'd need to unmount the EFI partition
umount -f /Volumes/EFI
rm -rf /Volumes/EFI
fsck_hfs /dev/diskXs1

thanks! alright well, eveything makes sense, except how do I copy over the kernel? Where is it located?

cp mach_kernel /Volumes/EFI/

Also, not sure what this line is supposed to accomplish

cp *.aml /Volumes/EFI/Extra/

Installing the bootloader to the EFI partition is not necessary in order to install a Chameleon branch such as AnVal's- and it will not affect the performance any differently from having Chameleon installed on your System partition.

Details here:

Tweaking Your System: Install Chameleon, DSDT, & Extras to EFI Partition
http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/01/ ... eleon.html

hey tony...
thanks for the link ;)
well i after editing the boot.plist under EFI/Extra and adding following kernel flags:
busratio=29 -force64 "Graphics Mode"="1650x1080x32"
my bootloader doesnt start anymore. I just can get into OSX by using the same kernel flags at the boot prompt when starting my computer. Is that a specific problem with AnVal or do I oversee anything?

Seems to be a bit of confusion for installing AnVal around here.

First, as Tonymacx86 stated, there is no need to complicate matters and attempt the EFI setup. This gives you no benefits other than confusing everyone.

So lets start fresh.

I am assuming everyone here has a WORKING OSX install with Chameleon installed such as Tonymacx86's using Multibeast to do it.

1. Go and download the latest AnVal ACPI loader release, currently 5.1.4
2. Unzip it, you should see a folder such as anVAL5.1.4

Now this is really easy, the only file your interested in is the file called boot.
This file will replace the currently installed Chameleon boot file on your system.

All we need to do is copy this.

3. Open Terminal (in your utilities folder)
4. Change directory to the anval folder, for example if yours in Downloads it would be:
cd /Downloads/AnVAL5.1.4

The next step is to copy the file, on my machine the boot drive is called "MacPro"
replace this name with whatever your boot volume is named.. note, commands are case sensitive.

5. Still in Terminal type: sudo cp boot /Volumes/MacPro
6. Enter your password

Your done!

Reboot

Look at the Chameleon release info on the top left of the screen when the boot-loader appears. It should say AnVAL.

Enjoy.

Thanks for all billabongo...ill try it tonight.. i just got my instructions from the official thread.....so right now for myself im just missing the QE support for my 570GTX :( But mostly everything else seems to work ;))

Alright, well, I've tried this and I believe it worked. However, I still get a black screen with GPU fans spinning to the max! This doesn't happen when I boot via CD. I don't think this has anything to do with AnVAL, but it would be nice to get this fixed.

kimmchee said:
Updates? Is everything perfect now? 64-bit ok?
For while... i´m living a dream... 64 bits, video, some audio, and a very fast machine...
dream.png

My build

MP: Asus P8P67-M Pro
Intel core i7 2600 Sandy Bridge
Nvidea 9500GT Graphics Enebler
4gb ddr3 1600mhz Kingston
500gb 7200rpm samsung
Voodoohda audio
Cosair PS 850 ATX
Cosair WaterCooler
OSX 10.6.6 with dsdt patched

Thanks very, very much to Tonymac... and all others!

That's great to hear! So, I still get a black screen and GPU fans spinning to the max when I boot from chameleon on my hard drive, but things work quite well when I boot from the CD. I was going to try and fix this problem, but with native support for sandy bridge coming so soon I figure I'd wait. Here's a list of things I'd like to get working:

- 64-bit support
- Sleep/wake support
- Non-staticy audio. After installing voodooHDA drivers audio is no longer jerky and crackly, but static remains that isn't there when I'm running ubuntu or windows.
- Booting from the HD instead of CD drive!

I'm also looking forward to clocking this thing at what it's supposed to be clocked at rather than 2.9gHz...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back