NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey all,

I got ASUS K95VM laptop with Core i5 Ivy Bridge, Intel HD Graphics 4000 and nVidia GT 630M video.
I successfully installed my first hackintosh on it using Unibeast and now I'm trying to solve various problems with my installation step-by-step.
One of the issues is display backlight - I can't control it. Earlier I was unable to activate my Intel HD Graphics and I thought it's because of that. But then I solved that problem, found appropriate EFI string for org.chameleon.Boot.plist. Still, no backlight control. After applying MacBook Pro 9,2 system definition to smbion.plist I've got 'brightness' slider in display preferences, but there's not effect changing it. The interesting thing is that if I don't use EFI string, I of course don't have full graphics acceleration, but I'm able to set brightness initially before system boots, I mean on bootloader screen, I use my native Fn+F5/F6 keys and backlight changes and remains that until shutdown. But if I use EFI string, then graphics works well, but when login screen appears, backlight is automatically set to about 50-60% of full, which is not optimal for me, I'd like 70-80%. And yep, Fn keys stop working immediately after system boot starts and previously set backlight doesn't affect the backlight set by video driver.

I've used ACPI Backlight Driver kext with all mentioned DSDT edits and I see PNLF device in ioreg and it has some values, but that doesn't seem to work. I even tried GenericBrightness kext with same result. I played with my DSDT in various ways, no success.

So, I have few questions regarding that:

1. Maybe you are familiar with ACPI Backlight Driver and can give me a hint what I possibly did wrong.
2. Is there any other ways to control backlight? If I can do that on boot scree, then probably I can somehow bypass OSX 'superstructure' over it. I mean control brightness directly. Some ACPI direct communication maybe possible? Also I heard SMC chips on real macs have some relation on it, maybe I can use FakeSMC for that somehow?
3. Is there any way to debug DSDT? I saw some lines of code like Store(Arg0, Debug) or DBGR('debug string') in the other people DSDTs, but I don't know how to get the output. If I would be able to debug it, I probably could solve the problem.

Here's my DSDT.

Hey, just wanted to write that I solved the issue, maybe it will help someone else.
The problem was as stupid as possible, I just didn't need any of additional kexts, just PNLF device and AAPL,* strings in DSDT.
With ACPIBacklight.kext it didn't work but when I removed it, backlight slider in display prefs just started working! I'm very happy.

lease help ASUS K95VM laptop backlight issue

please help for install asus r900vm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back