Contribute
Register

ASRock H77M-ITX Owners Page

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey man - thanks so much for that link! I actually posted my request after having spent about an hour racking my brain & doing a bazillion searches for "Apple IR" and just "infrared" - but for some reason, the search engine wasn't giving me much love. So I stepped away & came back an hour later.

I finally found the "live" post in the new forum (vs the one you posted in the legacy forum). Here's the link for others who might also want to go this route:
Apple IR USB Header

Now to answer your question: I've got an Early 2008 MacBook Pro (4,1) that I use for my live music gigs. I've never EVER used the IR function on this machine (nor will I ever) so I got the brilliant idea to rob the IR sensor from my old laptop! It's an 820-2306-A

Once I busted it out of the MBP, I realized I must be doing something right, as the wires were black, red, white, and green (yellow) - the same colors as the leads for the USB header jumpers in my case! From what I understand, using standard wire color coding is rare for Apple.

I bought a Silverstone USB/FW/Audio front panel that fits into a floppy drive bay for my G5 case mod project. I still had 2 USB header leads left over.
DSCN1211.jpg
Long story short, I was able to figure it out after all - just matched up all the colors, solder, wrap in electrical tape, then mount the sensor in the little IR window already built into my Wesena HTPC case!

Works like a CHAMP!!!! Now when I press the Menu button on my 1st gen (white) Apple Remote, Plex launches automatically!

Thanks VERY much for getting back with me so quickly. Appreciate your leadership & this great thread of yours!
:headbang:

Hello guys, sorry but I have to come in here with a more basic problem again. I have a very similar machine like yours, Asrock h77m-itx, Gigabyte Geforce 660Ti, i5 3470. I already had this working perfectly, but hell I don't know how I got there anymore and after every OS update it's the same frustrating week of hoping for some kind of wonder: Reinstalling the Realtek Audio drivers and being unable to boot afterwards whatever I do.

So, I'm using Mountain Lion and just updated to 10.8.4, first with Software update, later I even made a Stick with the latest complete installation from the App Store again and ran that over my old installation.

The boot process always stops at or closely after "Sound Assertion in AppleHDACodecGeneric at Line 360" and the only way to get into the system and make any changes is Safe mode (-x).

So I'm trying to start at the basics again:

Here's what I have: I use a patched BIOS as linked here, as well as the DSDT in the first post (I believe I had another one too, no idea where I found that one).
But this is already where I'm a bit confused, on the one hand I thought the modified BIOS wouldn't need a dsdt anymore. That leads to the question of at what point to place the dsdt file into the /Extras - Before using Multibeast, with Desktop-Installation, after the installation, do I let Multibeast patch it or not, and do I use the Realtek drivers with or without DSDT? I think I tried every possible combination by now with no luck at all and I'm getting completely frustrated because none of the combinations seem to work, I don't even get a bootable system without Audio.

Really, any hints on what I'm doing wrong would be highly appreciated.

Edit: Maybe I should add that I had it working perfectly with an AMD 6850 before, but I already had the same sound driver problems with that card. I changed it for the Geforce at the time I updated the system, but I can't see anything of this being related to the GF card.

With the modified BIOS, you don't need the DSDT. I used a raw extracted DSDT file, sorted the Audio portion out so that you could use there was no reason to use the HDAEnabler, and fixed one line that kept the machine from waking. I should really clean up the whole first post. Are you deleting the AppleHDA.kext before inserting the new one? I run all my updates off Software Update. The only issue I have had besides sound was the weird FakeSMC mess around 10.8.1 or 10.8.2 and the iMessage stuff, but that has been fixed though chimera updates as well. I am off work today, so I can help you. But not with an AMD card.

Boot from unibeast thumb drive. Before installing, open Disk Utility and reformat the drive. That way you get rid of all remnants from before. install Mac. Reboot from Unibeast and choose your installation. Complete all the updates. Reboot from Unibeast. Put the DSDT from the first post on your Desktop, run MultiBeast, and select the ALC892 with DSDT option as well as the opthers selected in the picture on the first post.

Hey, thanks for the reply. I'm currently in the process of reinstalling everything for the 2nd time, I got totally frustrated yesterday and wiped out the drive, even reflashed the board with the exact ROM you use (I was using a v.1.30 ROM from some other post before), just to be on the exact same sheet.

What really helps me now is that you said when exactly to place the DSDT file where it belongs, that's one thing (I'm sure I tried this sequence, but I've lost track of how many times I tried how many variations).

One more thing though, do you have the Geforce card in during installation and your monitor connected to it, or are you using the Intel VGA during installation and change it later? So far for all my attempts since I got the Geforce 660 Ti I started with the monitor connected directly to it (via Display port), simply because it seems to work fine this way. Right after the installation though and before even installing Multibeast I already have to boot in safe mode to go on (using the Unibeast stick as primary boot device to boot into the fresh OS X installation).

Did you change anything in the BIOS regarding Audio, disabling the mainboard HDMI audio or such? I can't believe I'm the only person ever who runs into this permanent issue with the Audio drivers. I might just do something horribly stupid.

Edit: I'll go step by step through each stage of what I'm doing right now, updating the post until the installation is done:

1. Board is using the ROM linked on page one. Display is connected to 660 Ti via DisplayPort. Booting from USB thumb drive (latest Unibeast, latest Mountain Lion 10.8.4 fresh from the App store). Zero problems starting the installation, native monitor resolution too. Wiped drive completely, fresh install proceeding right now.

2. Upon reboot, boot from USB, choose my Fresh installation, first try without any tricks like safe mode or anything. Using verbose mode though to see where it goes.
Result: Hanging here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2358045/Step1.JPG

Note: I've always seen that NTFS/Windows notification, even when OS X booted fine and I'm sure it's unrelated, "BOOTCAMP" is my 2nd hard drive with Windows on, not another partition on the same drive.

3. Next step, simply adding GraphicsEnabler=No.
Hmm, hanging at the exact same spot as in the picture above. Now using -x and GraphicsEnabler=No, hoping to get somewhere. :(

4. Getting to the initial OS X setup using Safe mode, but okay, I'll reset out of here and actually try unplugging my 2nd hard drive to see if it helps (but I repeat, I've seen that exact same message even back when my OS X was working... I'd bite my rearside if this was related!). This should be fun...

Hanging at the exact same spot as above, just ignore the NTFS stuff. The NTfS stuff always used to show up in the exact same millisecond as the other messages, sometimes before, sometimes after. I'll keep the drive unplugged for now and reboot in Safe mode, then start the Multibeast installation.

5. Went through initial OS X setup, Graphics work fine, 660 Ti card is recognized, comp is reported as Mac Pro 2008, internet works, downloading multibeast and placing the dsdt.aml from page 1 on my desktop, then proceeding with multibeast (attached screenshot, this is 5.3.1 so some things have changed).

Oh, hold on: Should I delete AppleHDA.kext at this point already? I will just do that before the Multibeast install, this is something I haven't tried yet.

6. Here we go again, endless spinning wheel. Using verbose, grabbing camera. :(
Good old Sound Assertion Line, how have I missed you. This is the same I've seen ever since the update, and always had trouble with in the past.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2358045/Step2.JPG

7. Unplugged all unnecessary devices, unplugged front audio, used nullcpupowermanagement.kext, nada.

Attachments

• Multibeast.jpg
    Multibeast.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 215
Good to know, yes, I've been using GraphicsEnabler=No. Please see my post above if you still have the patience, I'll update my process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back