Contribute
Register

ASRock Deskmini 110 issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am having issues with Kaby Lake UHD 630 graphics on mojave. Things render ok but the screen flickers when graphics acceleration activates ( I am guessing).

Does anyone have any tips?
Are you using a 4k monitor now? This issue occurred when I changed to a new 4k monitor from 1080p, only getting either random flickers with graphics acceleration or no flickers with no acceleration. It has been described in one of my threads but no answer yet.

Are you using a 4k monitor now? This issue occurred when I changed to a new 4k monitor from 1080p, only getting either random flickers with graphics acceleration or no flickers with no acceleration. It has been described in one of my threads but no answer yet.
Yes 4k monitor....

Hi,

My os is 10.14.2, when I use 1080p monitor, everything is fine except sleep(which I don't care). But after I upgrade to 4k monitor, I can get the 3840x2160@60hz, HD630 @1536m via dp, but it will randomly black out and come back in few seconds. I tried to set dvmt bigger and hd630@2048m, but nothing change. I did some research and cannot see any method to fix this. Please help with this. Appreciate!

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    35.2 MB · Views: 471
Hi,

My os is 10.14.2, when I use 1080p monitor, everything is fine except sleep(which I don't care). But after I upgrade to 4k monitor, I can get the 3840x2160@60hz, HD630 @1536m via dp, but it will randomly black out and come back in few seconds. I tried to set dvmt bigger and hd630@2048m, but nothing change. I did some research and cannot see any method to fix this. Please help with this. Appreciate!
Yes 4k monitor....

Edit: @Wenda Since our machines are different(110w and 110/COM), it's risky to try my EFI folder, maybe you could change the ig-platform-id alone according to my worked config.plist.

Hi all, I'm using Deskmini110 with i5-7600T and a 4k monitor which works well in 10.14.4. As in my previous thread, I met the same issue when I switch to a 4k monitor at the beginning, and got the worked plist file by chance. However, the config.plist worked, but only when I placed it with other .plists and it didn't work alone, which is so strange that I give up to fix it. Anyway, my 4k monitor works smoothly in 4k@60Hz with a DP cable, even I have to choose the correct plist in every booting. Maybe you could try my config 4k test.plist alone or the Whole EFI folder (Tips: Backup first before trying is always right), so that we could get a fully worked EFI folder to help the others who are using Deskmini110 and meet this issue.

Here is the EFI folder attached below and wish it could be useful:

Note: Maybe you could find that the device ig-platform-id 0x19120000 in my plist file belongs to a Skylake CPU, it's not a spoofing since the system freeze at boot with lilucpu=8 spoofing bootflags. Besides, I couldn't get the "correct" ig-platform-id (belonging to Kabylake CPU, for example, 0x59120000)worked with a 4k monitor, not to mention bufferframe patch to get 2048MB mem.

Attachments

• EFI.rar
    21.4 MB · Views: 315
Last edited:
Edit: @Wenda Since our machines are different(110w and 110/COM), it's risky to try my EFI folder, maybe you could change the ig-platform-id alone according to my worked config.plist.

Hi all, I'm using Deskmini110 with i5-7600T and a 4k monitor which works well in 10.14.4. As in my previous thread, I met the same issue when I switch to a 4k monitor at the beginning, and got the worked plist file by chance. However, the config.plist worked, but only when I placed it with other .plists and it didn't work alone, which is so strange that I give up to fix it. Anyway, my 4k monitor works smoothly in 4k@60Hz with a DP cable, even I have to choose the correct plist in every booting. Maybe you could try my config 4k test.plist alone or the Whole EFI folder (Tips: Backup first before trying is always right), so that we could get a fully worked EFI folder to help the others who are using Deskmini110 and meet this issue.

Note: Maybe you could find that the device ig-platform-id 0x19120000 in my plist file belongs to a Skylake CPU, it's not a spoofing since the system freeze at boot with lilucpu=8 spoofing bootflags. Besides, I couldn't get the "correct" ig-platform-id (belonging to Kabylake CPU, for example, 0x59120000)worked with a 4k monitor, not to mention bufferframe patch to get 2048MB mem.

Ok. I will try when I get home! Thanks for your comments. I will try to setup the config base on yours. Thanks again!

Also I found the other method almost same like you, he said fakeid to 19160000, change smbios to iMac 18.1, 4k@60hz no black out, just the hevc not working. Let me know if you have any idea how to do that, work with Lilu+whatevergreen or use other Kexts.

My DeskMini 110w setup is ~ finished. Whew! After an extended slog (literally years), I finally got this DeskMini 110w 'hacked', and even though I haven't yet checked EVERYTHING, I am satisfied it will now suit my purposes for a modern, inexpensive, powerful, yet energy-efficient 'Mac' which is actually (easily) PORTABLE. The DeskMini certainly fits the bill.

MY Hardware:
ASRock DeskMini 110 w (barebone)
WD Black NVME SSD (500 GB) [≥3400MB/s]AND a 'regular' Toshiba 250GB SSD
i3 7100 w/ Intel HD Graphics 630 [iGfx]
(2x) 4 GB DDR4 2400 MHz
(G Skill Intl--Part # F4-2400C16-4GRS).
I plan on upgrading this So-Dimm ^ to 2x 8GB ram.
I got all these items over time, and all on sale, for about $350 total, believe it or not.

Now, I typically don't DO super-techy/expert 'hax', but I have done a lot of different Hackintosh builds, with the aid of the community and the TonyMacx86 forums and software [ THANK you, all :wave:]. That said, although this ASRock DeskMini 110w 'hack' wasn't really difficult (with caveats), the worst part of this build was that I had to wait for both the OS (Mohave) and the hacking gurus to work out the bugs, to catch up to my hardware--That is, especially in order to [~easily] use both the NVME SSD and the Intel 630 integrated graphics on the i3 7100 that I bought ...

ANYWAYS, Here are MY tips and insight on 'hacking' this (now ~aged) system, based upon my abilities, my hardware (see above) and my personal preferences.

1) OS: Don't even bother doing this before OS X Mohave, unless you are a real guru, or you want to waste a whole lotta time and energy and/or perhaps if you enjoy frustration (like a masochist). I had a modicum of success, previously, using El Capitan, but it didn't like my NVME SSD at all. That was enough of a 'deal-breaker', but then the graphics were all glitchy too, and more. Also, being that Apple has transitioned to AFPS, I wanted that to be established and working well, going forward; that wasn't happening--yet (back then).

2) Install/pre-install: I (often, but not always [wth?]) had a lot of trouble getting the OS installer to load, and/or to sign in after "successful" install, which was due to the USB controllers cutting off either the USB installer (Unibeast) &/or the keyboard-mouse; they would [usually] either be unusable &/or unavailable after reaching the desktop login [can't navigate or input password, etc.]. Solution: add the latest USBInjectAll.kext to the installer USB's Clover folder

How I did it: 1. Download USBInjectAll.kext, then 2. use EFI Mounter v3 [etc.] to mount the USB installer's EFI, and then copy the kext from the downloaded ('release') folder, and paste(item) into the "Other" folder within Clover/kexts.

(ok, USBInjectAll is not recommended as a permanent solution, but...)

Do Mohave install using your Unibeast [latest], and [hopefully], you will get to the desktop after the setup process*. In my experience, this doesn't always happen <sigh>. If so, I would recommend using Multibeast to first install only the most basic Quick Start option, plus the Drivers>USBInjectAll option, and perhaps the IntelMausiEthernet v2.20 option, if you must have access to ethernet immediately on the build, itself. YMMV, but it will allow you to finish up in steps; i.e., sound and enhanced graphics are secondary, and can follow later...IMO

After initial setup (see^) via Multibeast, my usual method is to download and install most up-to-date kexts, using Terminal, Kextbeast, &/or other utilities, and to be sure to clear caches and rebuild permissions afterwards [I use KextBeast & follow-up (clear/rebuild) with Kext Utility]

3) Sound: This unit has a 'tricky' audio setup and/or codec, so either use a USB sound[card] device (personally, NOT.) OR Multibeast Audio options OR manual installs. Easiest method is using Multibeast:
(Multibeast) Drivers>
√ AppleALC
√ 100/200/300 Series Audio Support (HDAS=>HDEF)

-- I typically mount the EFI first, before using Multibeast. YMMV.
This may no longer be a necessity...Regardless, after using Multibeast, I advise you clear caches and rebuild permissions [I use KextBeast to install & follow-up (clear/rebuild) with Kext Utility], before restarting.

4) Graphics: Regardless of your install preferences/method, and as per other posts in this thread you will need to install:
Lilu & WhateverGreen kexts by whatever preferred method.

Easiest method is using Multibeast:
(Multibeast) >Customize> Graphics Configuration:

√ Core Graphics Fixup

(installs both Lilu & WhateverGreen to /Library/Extensions)

5) Other/misc:
a) System Definition:

using Multibeast:
(Multibeast) >Customize>System Definitions

√ iMac 18,1

(this is best for this particular setup, i.e., i3 7100, per my researches, and works like a charm!) Other CPUs/iGfx likely a bit different...

b) Rehabman's CodecCommander(kext) for certain stabilizing factors dealing with sound, sleep, etc... See link in this thread or look it up on GitHub...
(Again, follow the install procedure with rebuilding caches/permissions noted above, before restart)

If you have similar hardware, you should have an excellent-running unit with good performance and no 'deal-breaking' problems... Good Luck and thanks to the folks here who spent much time/effort making it ~ easy for me and my little DeskMini build--I'm well-pleased.
GT
(warmgeoff)

@lightingmac

I only revised the ig-platform-id 0x19120000, and I get the 4k@60hz not any black out! I found your config/device ig-platform-id is wrong. You should make it 00001219, not 00001912. I think you can boot from this! I am working on the 2560x1440 hidpi now. I will keep you updates.

@lightingmac

I only revised the ig-platform-id 0x19120000, and I get the 4k@60hz not any black out! I found your config/device ig-platform-id is wrong. You should make it 00001219, not 00001912. I think you can boot from this! I am working on the 2560x1440 hidpi now. I will keep you updates.
After correcting ig-platform-id from the old one to 00001219, it works! I can get a worked 4k resolution with the .plist file alone now. Thanks for your advice! It helps me a lot.

Besides, I'm using Lilu+WhateverGreen, too. And the VideoProc test results are as follows:

You can catch some logs like "cannot config graphic hardware, fallback to ....balabala" on the -verbose boot mode. To some extent, the issue of HEVC unavailable may have something to do with the "spoof" platform id which we use now. I have used the 0x59160000 id, patched the IntelBufferFrame and got 2048MB graphic memory successfully on my previous 1080p monitor, but forgot to test whether the HEVC works at that time.

After correcting ig-platform-id from the old one to 00001219, it works! I can get a worked 4k resolution with the .plist file alone now. Thanks for your advice! It helps me a lot.

Besides, I'm using Lilu+WhateverGreen, too. And the VideoProc test results are as follows:
View attachment 404104
You can catch some logs like "cannot config graphic hardware, fallback to ....balabala" on the -verbose boot mode. To some extent, the issue of HEVC unavailable may have something to do with the "spoof" platform id which we use now. I have used the 0x59160000 id, patched the IntelBufferFrame and got 2048MB graphic memory successfully on my previous 1080p monitor, but forgot to test whether the HEVC works at that time.

I would like to ask if your sleep can work or not? I tried many way but just can't make it work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back