Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> ASMedia 2142 USB only gets 5Gb/s, not 10GB/s

How is this relevant to the PXSX controller, though? :confused: Beside, there are two USB2.0 ports on the rear. All of the comments from the previous screenshot explain exactly where each port is from, but I'm pretty sure it's all mapped correctly. Check out the attached image.

Here's the breakdown:

HS01+02 = 2.0 personality from USB3_1 header (not used)
SS01+02 = 3.0 personality from USB3_1 header (not used)

HS03+04 = 2.0 personality from USB3_2 header (two front panel Type-A ports)
SS03+04 = 3.0 personality from USB3_2 header (two front panel Type-A ports)

HS05 = 2.0 personality from rear USB3.0 ports (four Type-A ports)
SS05 = 3.0 personality from rear USB3.0 ports (four Type-A ports)

HS07+08 = Rear 2.0 Type-A ports (these are the dedicated rear 2.0 ports)

HS09+10 = 2.0 USB2_1 header (not used)
HS13 = Internal BT module

Total = 15 ports.

Hang on...

That graphic is not of an Asus ProArt Z790 Creator - which as @Edhawk said, does not have any external USB2 ports, only two 9-pin headers.

This confusion can easily happen when you are working on hardware not in your Profile! :)

The ASMedia 2142 USB chipset will operate in piggy-back mode with the X299's USB ports. It does not count as a part of the Intel setup. Also your motherboard has a Realtek USB3 "hub" on the back panel and the Thunderbolt 3 controller. Quite an array of hardware, difficult for macOS to make sense of.

You can see the confusion in your last Hackintool screen. For example how many HS01 ports are there? What is it's port ID? Well, it's port 0x01 on Intel and TB controllers, but 0x03 on ASMedia.

This is an example of the mixed messages macOS is getting.

So, what to do?

My first test would be to remove the PXSX ports from my USBPorts.kext and run a test to check what speeds you get then. On these older boards you don't always need to configure third-party chipsets.

Also bear in mind you will not get any great speed if you connect to the Realtek Hub on the bac panel.

:)

P.S - Forgot to mention. Support depends on which version of macOS you are using.

Thanks @UtterDisbelief , but I stated the model of my motherboard at the very top of my first post... :problem: If I could include two setups in my profile, I would. I have two machines, and I ask for support on both of them on occasion. I've now been called out for asking support on both of these due to my profile not matching with my post... Is the expectation is that I update my profile every time I need to ask for support for a particular machine? Seems like a questionable design on the part of the website itself...

Anyway, back to the issue at hand. It has been happening for several versions of macOS, dating back at least to to Monterey. I'm currently on Sonoma. ASMedia ports are 5Gb/s regardless of whether I have PXSX ports mapped. Even USBToolBox displays the PSXS ports as operating at 3.0 speeds instead of 3.1 when running through the mapping process (i.e. prior to mapping any ports), while the TB3 ports are properly listed as 3.1. See attached screenshot.

Isn't the point of USB mapping to allow macOS to correctly determine the paths & specs/drivers for each port? If you're suggesting that my current mappings are incorrect, I'd like to fix them, but.. how??

Again, I don't think it's a mapping issue... could anything else here be at play? I've seen several other threads related to ASMedia issues, but the only solution has been to use an ASMedia.kext, which A) doesn't do anything, and B) shouldn't be necessary.

Btw, I just tried updating to the latest capsule BIOS to resolve the issue and now I can't boot into macOS or Windows (yay), so I've got to fix this issue now. Wish me luck...

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-09 at 12.14.11 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-09 at 12.14.11 PM.png
    96.5 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
If you have an error in your USBPorts.kext, it will affect all the USB ports. That is why this is relevant for your XHCI ports to be correct, as they will impact on the PXSX controller.

Check this image, make the changes highlighted.

Screenshot 2023-10-09 at 12.35.22 AM.png

You need to remember the following:

Any port served from a physical USB3 (Type-A or Header) should be set with connector type USB3. This goes especially for the virtual USB2 ports served from the USB3 ports/headers, as the virtual ports need to match the parent/physical port characteristics.

Same goes for Type-C virtual USB2 ports, these need to match the parent/physical port Characteristics, i.e. Type-C with or without switch.

The only port(s) that should be set with Connector Type 'USB2' are physical USB2 (Type-A) ports on the rear I/O plate, those with a Black tang.

Any port (BT or case front) served from an internal USB2 header should be set with connector type 'Internal' not USB2.

I've now been called out for asking support on both of these due to my profile not matching with my post...

I did not call you out at all. I just explained why I think that @Edhawk explained what he did. It's an easy mistake to make when a thread gets longer and the change of hardware was mentioned many posts ago.

Isn't the point of USB mapping to allow macOS to correctly determine the paths & specs/drivers for each port? If you're suggesting that my current mappings are incorrect, I'd like to fix them, but.. how??

Gosh no (again) I didn't suggest any such thing. All I did was offer my take on the hardware and problems involved. I know nothing about USB after all... You will note I just suggested removing a port conflict to see what affect that had.

I'm currently on Sonoma.

I'm not there yet myself, but I would wonder if ASMedia 2142 drivers are included any more in macOS Sonoma. It was old tech that Apple hasn't used in a while. Hey but it's possible.

Isn't the point of USB mapping to allow macOS to correctly determine the paths & specs/drivers for each port?

Yes and no. You can't simply map a driver into existence. macOS includes Intel drivers and any third-party ones Apple things are relevant. For Sonoma that would be the earliest model MacPro it supports 2019 - because that model could theoretically accept add-on USB controllers. Maybe ASM2142 or more likely ASM3142.

If you're suggesting that my current mappings are incorrect, I'd like to fix them, but.. how??

I offered a suggestion but you say you've already tried.

You also say you have tried the ASMedia.kext. Did you check internally - i.e the Info.plist - to ensure it has your device-ID included? There are several versions of this kext and other similar ones available.

If you can boot Windows and get 10GBps then you know it is a macOS problem. There are always drivers for Windows, not so macOS.

This is turning messy, so, just for the sake of clarity and resolution, here are the latest updates and some necessary(?) in-line replies.

@Edhawk & @UtterDisbelief , I really appreciate the time you've taken to reply, but it's frustrating to be met with the same suggestions over and over. Again, this is not a mapping issue. How do I know?

Well, I managed to flash the 3142 firmware into the ASMedia 2142 controller, and I am now getting 10Gb/s speeds despite system information still reporting 5Gb/s (see attached image). The speeds on PSXS, which, by the way, are the only relevant controller in this thread – not sure why we're still talking about mapping XHCI or the TB USB-C ports – are now at 10gbps whether PXSX (or any other controller) are mapped or not, whether they are configured how @Edhawk is proposing or not. I repeat, the other ports have nothing to do with this, whether correctly or incorrectly mapped or not. Unfortunately The ASMedia controller no longer seems to work in Windows, but I'm ok with that.

Now, for some in-line replies:

Any port served from a physical USB3 (Type-A or Header) should be set with connector type USB3. This goes especially for the virtual USB2 ports served from the USB3 ports/headers, as the virtual ports need to match the parent/physical port characteristics.
This isn't clarified in any documentation or tutorial I've read thus far. I don't get it, but I understand what you're saying. I'll map my ports as such going forward, thank you.
Same goes for Type-C virtual USB2 ports, these need to match the parent/physical port Characteristics, i.e. Type-C with or without switch.
That's already the case, as stated earlier.
The only port(s) that should be set with Connector Type 'USB2' are physical USB2 (Type-A) ports on the rear I/O plate, those with a Black tang.

Any port (BT or case front) served from an internal USB2 header should be set with connector type 'Internal' not USB2.
Weird that USB2 headers should be mapped as internal. Again, I don't get it, but I understand. Thank you, and I'll proceed accordingly.

I did not call you out at all. I just explained why I think that @Edhawk explained what he did. It's an easy mistake to make when a thread gets longer and the change of hardware was mentioned many posts ago.
Is it really necessary, considering that I stated the motherboard in question at the very beginning of the thread? We're cluttering the thread with this matter now.

Gosh no (again) I didn't suggest any such thing. All I did was offer my take on the hardware and problems involved. I know nothing about USB after all... You will note I just suggested removing a port conflict to see what affect that had.
There'd be nothing wrong in suggesting such a thing, nor did I mean to imply any offense was taken in such a suggestion. I was seeking to fix an issue here after all, and what was implied might have very well been the source of my issue. I just didn't understand what the proposed solution was, given that I'd already tried many different iterations of USB maps, so I was asking how, exactly, to go about fixing it.

I'm not there yet myself, but I would wonder if ASMedia 2142 drivers are included any more in macOS Sonoma. It was old tech that Apple hasn't used in a while. Hey but it's possible.
I understand, but as I stated, this issue had been happening pre-Sonoma, so it's unlikely to be the source of the issue. Appreciate the thought, though.

Yes and no. You can't simply map a driver into existence. macOS includes Intel drivers and any third-party ones Apple things are relevant. For Sonoma that would be the earliest model MacPro it supports 2019 - because that model could theoretically accept add-on USB controllers. Maybe ASM2142 or more likely ASM3142.
I didn't suggest mapping a driver into existence. I was responding to the implied notion that the incorrect USB mappings could be the source of macOS's confusion in assigning/loading the correct drivers to the relevant controller/ports (PXSX, in this case). As I understand, ASM2142 is natively supported in macOS, so if the mappings were incorrect, that would explain the speed issues. Now with the ASM3142 firmware loaded into the controller, it seems like macOS is a bit happier, even without port mappings, which further supports my conclusion that this hasn't been a mapping issue after all.

I offered a suggestion but you say you've already tried.
Yes, I had been saying that I suspected an issue other than mapping, but folks didnt't seem to be carefully reading/thinking about the question at hand...

If you can boot Windows and get 10GBps then you know it is a macOS problem. There are always drivers for Windows, not so macOS.
Yes, I was finally able to test a drive in windows, and the speeds were indeed 10gbps, so definitely a macOS problem.

Anyway, we can consider this Solved

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-09 at 4.27.35 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-09 at 4.27.35 PM.png
    426 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Weird that USB2 headers should be mapped as internal. Again, I don't get it, but I understand. Thank you, and I'll proceed accordingly.

actually, they should be left as USB2.0 despite they are connected to an internal header

if for example you had an internal wifi/blueooth plugged into that internal header, then you would keep it as internal

if you had a usb3.0 connected to it, then set it as usb3

actually, they should be left as USB2.0 despite they are connected to an internal header

if for example you had an internal wifi/blueooth plugged into that internal header, then you would keep it as internal

if you had a usb3.0 connected to it, then set it as usb3
That's what I thought! As for the "virtual" USB 2.0 personalities that are attached to 3.0 ports, are those to be categorized as type 0 (2.0) or type 3 (3.0)?

That's what I thought! As for the "virtual" USB 2.0 personalities that are attached to 3.0 ports, are those to be categorized as type 0 (2.0) or type 3 (3.0)?

Type 3. It is a connector issue. More electrical contacts in a USB3 port.

By the way, saying we should read or think before trying to help is a bit of an insult to be honest.

Before you tried flashing your ASM 2142 firmware to 3142, who else had suggested you'd probably have more luck with that newer chipset?

Type 3. It is a connector issue. More electrical contacts in a USB3 port.
Understood, thank you.

By the way, saying we should read or think before trying to help is a bit of an insult to be honest.
Just as it is to be given the same suggestions again and again, and having important details in my carefully-drafted posts repeatedly ignored... while facing pedantic explanations on tangential subjects.

Before you tried flashing your ASM 2142 firmware to 3142, who else had suggested you'd probably have more luck with that newer chipset?
No one suggested the firmware update. The conversation here seemed to be going around in circles, so that was just my own, frustrated, last-resort attempt after the BIOS update failed. I didn't read your mention of 3142 until I had already flashed my controller, but I can see how that brief mention could have been a useful (though obtuse) clue.

Thanks for trying to help nonetheless.

Last edited:
@gabevf have you tried loading a codeless kext that was used to correctly call the ASMedia kext after it was relocated in Big Sur or Monterrey? I had to use it to precisely solve a similar issue with an USB 3.0 AIC which was also relying on the ASMedia 2142 controller?

Attachments

• ASMedia.kext.zip
    1.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Back