Contribute
Register

Are You Still on Snow Leopard? Why or Why Not?

Are You Still on Snow Leopard?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in Snow. Reason is PTL9 can't work in Leon.

At work I run SL because of legacy apps. At home I'm also running SL, but bought a new HDD and will go dual boot for a while to see if I like it.

Im on lion and I started hackintoshing with lion

I considered using hackintosh before lion but my board was a bit tricky with snow leopard and leopard as I read here and from other hackintosh communities also was too lazy to get a snow leopard dvd.

lion installation with usb stick looked easier to me, then i tried installing lion and successed at first installation. getting work properly with display and sound took my time a bit but it worths.

I have both installed (Lion on external). I use SL daily. I hate the IOs look and feel of Lion. I will hold off until I absolutely have to move on, but I won't like it. How long til we see 27" ipads? Isn't that what Lion forces on our desktops anyway? To me Windows 8 takes it even one step further. I hate the direction we're moving!

Built system that boots into Lion, SL or Win7, but am in SL the majority of time (ie. 98% of time). Everything works without a hiccup, and prefer SL as a system. May slowly tryout apps in Lion, but prefer SL as a solid system and am non-plussed about the look of Lion - ie. the new features do nothing for me and in fact, have a negative impact on my productivity.

Eco

Snow Leopard......

I still use Appleworks :D

I also believe Snow Leo will be significantly usable for several more years.

Moving forward - Now that they have more of the bugs fixed in Lion, I have made a partition to install it and give it "more of a look".

Well after a weekend of messing around and a few days getting settings how I like I'm taking 10.7.4 for a test drive.

Not a big fan of some of the changes, but I did notice a definite increase in CPU and GPU performance. Not sure if this is due to a brand new install or just updated software, but the Cinebench scores reflect it. Even some HD recording software that did not function well under 10.6.8 performs much better so I plan to give it a fair shake.

Time will tell. ;)

Currently running ML, as I love to test out the latest software and see how everything runs on my 2012 MacBook Pro 13 inch. I personally just enjoy trying out operating systems before they're publicly release and trying out all the new features first to become familiar with them. As the release of ML is coming closer, I still feel that there is a lot of tweaking to be done to the operation system as I have come to encounter random restarts and frozen screens on my new macbook pro. I do have the base model 13in pro with upgrade 8GB of ram, although that should be more than enough to run this system smoothly and with no issues, especially with the new Ivy bridge CPUs. It to soon to tell though as I am on a DP and these little glitches are expected!

The only thing which I appreciate in Lion is the management of the video (a bit better on my monitor).
The worst thing with Lion is the difficulty to organise App and Utilities folders like you want (I organised these folders by putting the Lion drive in target mode with Snow Leo).

And, the most important for me, Pro Tools HD is unstable in Lion, even with the 10.7.4 version.

So, as a professional sound designer and composer for film and TV, I return to Snow Leo 10.6.8, the most stable and open system for my everyday works.
(and I think Apple are no longer interested in providing systems for professionals).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back