Contribute
Register

Are You Still on Snow Leopard? Why or Why Not?

Are You Still on Snow Leopard?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
fwood said:
Already told you !At the moment Snow leopard is the best OS for a professional Digital Audio Workstation (i think maybe also the best for a graphic workstation) ! About audio,for example, snow give you the best compatibility on audio plugins.

yeh Tonymacx86, i have to agree with fwood.

Many Audio PlugIn software makers have done a great job keeping upto date and compatible with Windows XP, Vista, 7 and Mac OS X Snow Leopard as those OS's support 32bit Apps. DAW users and music producers have invested a lot of time and creativity on these trusty Apps and want to incorporate them in the latest OS's but Lion (or is it Mountain Lion) drops that support for 32bit.

I'm not sure the Audio PlugIn software makers have the resources to get up to speed with the pace of Apple's release of Mac OS X Lion and soon Mountain Lion so Snow Leopard still wins for the Hackintosh Audio Workstation IMO :shifty:

I was on snow leopard long enough to download the Lion OS install from the app store to port it on uni beast,, so I could follow the Lion install guide.... I kept it on a second drive just in-case I eff.d up something and I've only booted into Snow Leopard once since I installed Lion

For me :
Mac mini G4 with Tiger
iMac with Snow Leopard
Lenovo x121e with Lion

each one works properly

I have three hackintoshs and they are all still on Snow Lepoard - Originally I didn't upgrade because the features offered were'nt worth the effort - I still don't see the point, though up until Snow leopard I could see operating system improvements, now its just about driving income revenue streams - I think Apple are no longer interested in providing systems or software for professionals (just look at Aperture and Final cut X and the lack of upgrades for the Mac Tower)

I mostly use Lion. I might have stuck with Snow Leopard if there was a way to use my GTX 570 video card with full functionality.

But on occasion, I still use a Mac Mini which has Snow Leopard.

2 laptops (mbp and mba)
2 destktops (mac mini and i5 hack)

All on snow leopard,
front row for the home theatre, and the mbp is core duo (32bit)

Don't really see any OS enhancements-
10.4- spotlight!! , Automator!! , dashboard..(meh), front row
10.5- Time machine, 3d dock... (really- but time machine was great!)
10.6- More stability!! (ok but the next one should show these off)
10.7+ (ipad takeover) launch control??, Full screen apps?? (gatekeeper is good), (gimmie zfs, SIRI..., bring quicktime X up to quicktime 7 standards. I like OS X and don't want my computer to be an appliance)

I only wish Apple will allow 10.6 to run as VMs inside Lion, so I can use it to run programs that require Rosetta.

I don't get it when people complain about 10.7 being ipad like. It's not like Apple is forcing you to use the Launchpad.

Love the 10.7 Mail program. I spend a lot of time dealing with emails throughout the day. Mail occupies one monitor screen almost constantly.

No complaints with Lion here. Seems just as stable as previous OSX versions for me.

Macbook still running 10.6, and an iMac 27" is still running 10.6.?
Don't have a real need to upgrade them.

I have LION on my Hackintosh and an iMac. Haven't updated my MacBook Pro, but will be soon. I use a Mac Mini with 10.6.8 for support. (I still get calls from old customers)
Features I like on LION is mail, resume and change in scrolling direction. For overall productivity, I don't see a lot of difference.

me to, Snow Leopard, because RAID0 on my computer. Methods used for creating RAID0 install on Lion are to buggy, to out off to try. I need RAID0 for video, 3D creation.

Still on Snow Leopard because I use a 32-bit Core Duo.

I will try Lion on a PDC T2390 loaner soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back