Contribute
Register

Are You Still on Snow Leopard? Why or Why Not?

Are You Still on Snow Leopard?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
4 Macs in the house, one old PPC Mac Mini on 10.5, two Intel Mac Mini's on 10.6.8 and my i7 Hackintosh on 10.6.8. So three possible machines could run Lion, just no real reason to.

All of them are working perfectly (knock wood) so I see no reason to give myself an updating headache getting all of them and their applications all working in Lion. (assuming they all have updated versions).

No compelling features or applications in 10.7 I see are really necessary. Maybe 10.8 will have something more desirable. But the 'iOS' integration on a desktop OS is not something that appeals to me.

Still Running SL 10.6.5 and still very happy with this breed of cat (nothing beats the desktop of a stealthy, spotty beast padding across a ridge high in the Himalayas). :cool:

Also agree with fwood and others that SL is still the best for DAW use.
I'll take compatibility and smooth-running horsepower over gimmicky hypermarketing cheeseware anyday. Let iPods be iPods, and Hac Pros emulate Mac Pros. Just don't feel any pressing need to force the two to smoosh together yet.
Didn't feel any pressing need to await a 1GB download to go to 6.8, just for the 'upgrade' to running Crappstore for 24/7 hypermarketing 'functionality' either.

Is anyone else disturbed by Apple trying to herd all customers online for the Lion release, as opposed to just stopping by your friendly local shop and picking up an SL retail DVD? Reminds me of another nasty recent trend, where some newer games attempt to force the buyer online to their servers to even install a perfectly legally purchased retail DVD. So you can't even install it to your offline machine? Time to call total BS on this kind of stuff; I vote No with my $$, and buy something else.

It's reached the point where some hosers in Ottawa have decided they're going to phase out coins altogether, and force-herd the whole country into some kind of 'e-money' scheme(??) Oh OK then, answer me this Mr. prime Big brother eh- what about junior's allowance?("honey- I chipped the kids").
So I'm with Craig Ferguson and his robot pal on this one: "You can take take our pennies away, maybe even our loonies, but you'll have to pry that nickel-plated shiny beaver out of my cold, dead hands eh!"

Haven't made the jump yet on my main computer, a late '09 24" iMac, mostly because I have a large collection of PPC-only games I still want to finish that will no longer work under Lion.

That said, I have Lion installed on my Hackbook and my dev box at work and like it far more than I thought I would. I'm in the process of setting myself up an old PowerMac G4 as a dedicated PPC/OS9 box, so when that's done I might finally take the plunge after all. ;)

Still on SL as I'm not able to fully get into Lion Installer using UniBeast. It gives me the "still waiting for boot device" and I have not had a chance to research to the fullest.

I'd love to go to Lion and try the new features on my hack. On the 13" MBP I have, it's working out great!

Im still on snow as it works flawlessly now like a real mac with dual monitors and is lighting quick and everything works. I see no real reason to upgrade to lion except from the fact that you can download the latest xcode and other apple apps. however i have also yet to find a good guide for upgrading as well so....

Running Snow Leo Because the better support stability for pro Apps
I'm a video editor using Adobe PS Premiere After effects & FCP 7 & X.

We'll give Lion some more time then move to a more stable ver.

i have snowleo and lion installed on different hard discs on my Hackintosh.
both systems runs in the same way.
lion install was a little bit easier than SL.
Preparing the USB-stick for my Board takes more time than the installation on SSD.

By the way i don't need the new features from Lion.

My wife and I each have recent MBP's that we use daily; both still on 10.6.8 .
We have a 10.6.8 server on a core2duo Mini, and older mini's on SL each running a TV.

The office has the Hackintoshes, and 2 of them have Lion boot drives, ( along with Windows 7 drives when needed ), but their main boot drives are all Snow Leopard.

My main customers have just moved to Lion, so I will probably move my MBP to Lion soon to get more comfortable with the changes. I don't like the lack of 'Save As' within apps that I use heavily like Pages ( for documentation ) as that is a primary part of my workflow - but I know that I will have to bite the bullet and get used to the changes at some point.

My usual frame of reference is: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

But I know I have at most a year left of security updates from Apple left on Snow Leopard.

If I used an iPhone and had to sync, I am sure I would have moved to iCloud and Lion much faster... But cell phones don't work well at all where I live, so it has not been pressing... I still have an old junk Samsung phone... and it is hardly ever on!

Rx4Mac

Screen shot 2012-04-17 at 7.09.54 AM.png

I have 10.6.8 on both my macbook pro and desktop hackintosh. I installed Lion 10.7.0 on my macbook pro when it first came out, well before I built the hackintosh. I ended up reverting back to snow leopard because I disliked Lion so much. They screwed up the finder again. The reverse scrolling is horrible. Incompatibility with existing software. Mission control is a mess. If I hadn't read the technical release notes on internal features like Grand Central Dispatch, I'd think this was a completely useless 'upgrade'.

For what it's worth, this is the first time in my history as a computer user that I have not used the latest OS (both in the windows and mac worlds) - but as another person here has said: OS X Lion is simply not compelling.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-04-17 at 7.09.54 AM.png
    Screen shot 2012-04-17 at 7.09.54 AM.png
    27 KB · Views: 208
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back