Contribute
Register

Apple's Policy on Apple File System (APFS) for High Sierra

Assuming I stay with 10.12.6 on both my Samsung 850 EVO SSDs in my Hackintosh, would there be any harm in adding the apfs.efi file into my EFI partitions' EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI folder (Just so it would be there before updating to HS)?

Assuming I stay with 10.12.6 on both my Samsung 850 EVO SSDs in my Hackintosh, would there be any harm in adding the apfs.efi file into my EFI partitions' EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI folder (Just so it would be there before updating to HS)?
Use the latest version when you update, the real beta has only just started.

So - I chatted with an advisor on Apple's Support site (in regards to a real MacBook with a 3rd party SSD), and they said (after researching the issue for a moment) you should be able to take it in to an Apple Store and have they check the drive for High Sierra readiness (general health and such). Obviously that'll be harder for us hackintosh folks, but I assume you might be able to just take in the drive itself with a SATA to USB reader and see what they say (which is what I'll be doing).

Really hope this whole data loss issue is just extra worry for nothing. At least High Sierra doesn't have much feature wise over Sierra - my biggest excitement was for the new Safari features and Sierra got them anyway.

So - I chatted with an advisor on Apple's Support site (in regards to a real MacBook with a 3rd party SSD), and they said (after researching the issue for a moment) you should be able to take it in to an Apple Store and have they check the drive for High Sierra readiness (general health and such). Obviously that'll be harder for us hackintosh folks, but I assume you might be able to just take in the drive itself with a SATA to USB reader and see what they say (which is what I'll be doing).

Really hope this whole data loss issue is just extra worry for nothing. At least High Sierra doesn't have much feature wise over Sierra - my biggest excitement was for the new Safari features and Sierra got them anyway.

The drive has to be internal and connected to a SATA bus. Apple’s diags won’t work with external drives.

So to make it clear if you use the "noconvert" (or whatever) flag on installation you're safe from the auto conversion?
If so, why the fuzz of so many users complaining about auto conversion and no alternative to skip it?

Back