Contribute
Register

Apple's Policy on Apple File System (APFS) for High Sierra

Oh I'm an idiot. Fresh install is the problem. Gotcha.

Rehab, do we still know if the weekly EFI check will screw up even drives with HFS+ and go ahead and auto convert, or, do we have to wait for the first week or two of release for results?

Automatic APFS conversion outside of the installer seems rather unlikely (Internet FUD).
Converting requires doing so from a recovery environment and usually doesn't work anyway.

But the installer itself can be used reliably to convert to APFS if you didn't do it at upgrade time (startosinstall --converttoapfs YES).

AFPS doesn't auto encrypt if file vault wasn't already enabled, if it was, then yes it does. If not, first time you boot up on APFS it will actually give you a prompt asking if you would like to enable encryption or not, if you choose no it remains an unencrypted APFS volume.

So at the end of the day, where does everyone stand, relative to using APFS on a new install? I have a Samsung 960 Pro NVME drive that I'm hoping to use without concern for less reliability than HFS+. Is the performance on non-apple hardware/firmware significantly better?

Going to wait until 10.13.2 or so to even look at upgrading. 10.13.1 dev beta was dropped today.

Has anyone seen the EFI check do anything yet? Any signs of disabling it?
There's a kext that loads on the LPC device, matching on a list of ids, and a launchd plist somewhere...

So it will for sure fail our EFI partitions?
Not sure. Doubt Apple engineers would waste their time building crippleware into their OS. Pike R Alpha has blogged about it.

Last edited:
I have 2 partitions on my SSD, first with macOS, second with User data.
When I do a update to High Sierra what will happen to the second partition with the User folder data,
will the second partition also be converted to APFS ?
So some interesting observation from my upgrades (3 very different machines, all with primary SSD, same results)
I partition OS and User separately on all my hacks (too many reinstalls in the early days). I upgraded with APFS ... but it only upgraded the OS partition to APFS. It left the user partition untouched as HFS. It created an APFS container and stuck the converted OS partition inside and left the user partition outside by itself. The option "convert to APFS" is greyed out (I assume lack of space). Either would need some serious re-partitioning or a fresh install to fix. Interestingly I have a spinner drive where the option "convert to APFS" is available ...
Are there guidelines from Apple on partitioning with APFS?

upload_2017-9-28_12-24-49.png

Successfully installed 10.13 from the App Store yesterday on one of my two SSDs (both Samsung 850 EVO 256 MB) with no problems; I did need to use Toleda's script to renew audio. Today I independently installed (again from the App Store) 10.13 on my second SSD; same result. Both SSDs are on APFS with no problems so far. I found that Multibeast 9.2.1 does not recognize either my "Sierra 0" or my "Sierra 1" SSDs, but no problem since I didn't need to use it anyway.

No change in graphics performance from 10.12.6 on HFS+. Running "The Witness" video game on 10.13 looks and sounds the same, although I got a "spinning rainbow" for a few seconds when first opening it under HS. (Change in filesystem?)

Haven't done a lot other than run "Heaven," "Valley," and "The Witness" just to verify graphics and sound. Got e-mail, ran Safari, etc.

Back