Contribute
Register

Apple's Policy on Apple File System (APFS) for High Sierra

Works great on my macbook pro but yeah, I'm holding on my hackintoshes right now. Waiting for a few more revisions.

And I say that APFS is not ready for "prime time". I upgraded a secondary system to High Sierra and I avoided it (APFS) on both SSDs in that system, and I'm glad I did. This file system (APFS) has a long way to go before it's worth using....

I mean, use it and your SSD disks are isolated to only High Sierra?? Forget it....

My nvme is only doing 170/1300 write/read. Is that because Apple screw-up high sierra by forcing us to convert to APFS without some specialized terminal hackery?

If you have a backup, you can upgrade that backup to Sierra using only HFS (rehabman identified a way, OR, if your backup is an HDD, then your upgrade will definitely be HFS, not APFS), and then do a restore to your nvme, and you will have upgraded without converting to APFS....or you can wait until Apple finishes APFS, which should be a few updates down the road (maybe 10.13.3 or 4?)

I think, for Apple, something is coming down the road for releasing APFS before they, and everyone else, were ready for all of the problems that come with releasing what is really beta software, unfinished, and in desperate need of refinement for compatibility and interoperability.

I think, for Apple, something is coming down the road for releasing APFS before they, and everyone else, were ready for all of the problems that come with releasing what is really beta software, unfinished, and in desperate need of refinement for compatibility and interoperability.
Apple's only mistake was HFS+ wasn't removed at the same time as 'classic mode'.

Apple's only mistake was HFS+ wasn't removed at the same time as 'classic mode'.

You don't think there aren't some issues with interoperability with APFS? How about the fact that APFS only works on SSD flash media and doesn't work on HDD media? Shouldn't some effort been put in by Apple to have a unified file system upgrade that works on both, and can be read by older OS and utilities?

I think I get what Apple is doing....it's a slow beta test of their new file system, and somewhere down the road, it might work across the board. But I think they could have been much more straightforward in their approach by making conversion optional, and warning about the incompatibilities that users will face if they upgrade and convert.

You don't think there aren't some issues with interoperability with APFS? How about the fact that APFS only works on SSD flash media and doesn't work on HDD media? Shouldn't some effort been put in by Apple to have a unified file system upgrade that works on both, and can be read by older OS and utilities?

I think I get what Apple is doing....it's a slow beta test of their new file system, and somewhere down the road, it might work across the board. But I think they could have been much more straightforward in their approach by making conversion optional, and warning about the incompatibilities that users will face if they upgrade and convert.
Not really. It's the default on millions of iPhones and Macs and seemingly no problems that app developers haven't had a reasonable amount of time to fix. Apparently the internal testing Apple has done has been extensive. If you want to use old software and incompatible hardware just use HFS+.

How about the fact that APFS only works on SSD flash media and doesn't work on HDD media?

If technically speaking, it makes no sense to run a certain filesystem on spinning disks because of how it functions, why should you (well, Apple) force it to work on those spinning disks. It will only be inviting a lot of headaches for no clear gain. Sometimes you have to break with the past to make strides forward. I agree it's a risky move by Apple to bring out a new filesystem. On the other hand, if it works, it works. I'll be sitting on the fence to watch it play out before I commit to it though...

Not really. It's the default on millions of iPhones and Macs and seemingly no problems that app developers haven't had a reasonable amount of time to fix. Apparently the internal testing Apple has done has been extensive. If you want to use old software and incompatible hardware just use HFS+.

Hah! I knew there was a reason I don't have an iPhone......:p (Sorry, vulgo, couldn't resist....)

Back