Contribute
Register

Apple Reveals macOS 10.14 Mojave at WWDC - Available Fall 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dives work fine as long as you don't force APFS on them but after APFS boot time drops to 1to 2 min and speeds are abnormal never stable it can drop from 1500mb to 300 while using apfs and i thing i updated the firmware to the latest samsung offers it works just fine with every other filesystem except APFS
can you just post your firmware version, just to see which one you have, maybe you don't have none of those two and you have version 1 which is also good, install Mac OS on another drive then format Samsung 960 as Mac OS journal and run a benchmark a few times, Ajax or black magic speed test, then reformat the drive as APFS then run the benchmark again, it is weird. I had 960 and they never gave me a problem with APFS, are you sure you are using the same APFS.efi that comes with the Mac OS system that you are using, what I'm trying to say is you are not using APFS.efi a few version behind in a newer os, if you are using a patched version, try with a none patched APFS.efi maybe the one that is patched is causing you the problem, but if you have the bad firmware then that is the problem, because that is the symptoms of the bad firmware, it throttle all the way down to a crawl

About This Mac - System Report - NVMExpress -
look at revision ??????
what is the number there

ok you see you mentioned that you updated the firmware to the latest, I just check Samsung web site and the latest firmware is the bad one, I really don't understand why Samsung hasn't pull that bad firmware, for what I know maybe they update the nvme driver to work with that firmware but that is windows driver only, it will not work with Mac OS, the other only possibility is that you can update to a higher firmware that is available at Samsung web site if you their software something magician I just don't remember the name right now, maybe they don't have the new firmware available for download but you can update to the latest firmware if you use Samsung magician software, if you have the bad firmware there is no way around, Mac OS journal, APFS, ex fat, NTFS what ever you choose it will be the same story all over again, unless there is a new firmware with the fix, bad firmware sysptom after a minute the drive will go down to 300 mbs, the problem is not APFS unless you are using an old version in a newer system or whatever the reason might be, please post a screenshoot of your firmware

Last edited:
i don't know about 970, for me 960 is just fine..
You're the only one with a problem here with APFS.

Please stop coming to this site, you don't know much.
I am gonna come where and how I like you don't come, is your problem you to much of noob to say to people what your opinion is its site where people share there Hackintosh problems and there experience you don't like it jump off a cliff we don't need people who only pretend and are trolls like you so go away no one cares what you think anyway..

And go read before trash talk!

can you just post your firmware version, just to see which one you have, maybe you don't have none of those two and you have version 1 which is also good, install Mac OS on another drive then format Samsung 960 as Mac OS journal and run a benchmark a few times, Ajax or black magic speed test, then reformat the drive as APFS then run the benchmark again, it is weird. I had 960 and they never gave me a problem with APFS, are you sure you are using the same APFS.efi that comes with the Mac OS system that you are using, what I'm trying to say is you are not using APFS.efi a few version behind in a newer os, if you are using a patched version, try with a none patched APFS.efi maybe the one that is patched is causing you the problem, but if you have the bad firmware then that is the problem, because that is the symptoms of the bad firmware, it throttle all the way down to a crawl

About This Mac - System Report - NVMExpress -
look at revision ??????
what is the number there

ok you see you mentioned that you updated the firmware to the latest, I just check Samsung web site and the latest firmware is the bad one, I really don't understand why Samsung hasn't pull that bad firmware, for what I know maybe they update the nvme driver to work with that firmware but that is windows driver only, it will not work with Mac OS, the other only possibility is that you can update to a higher firmware that is available at Samsung web site if you their software something magician I just don't remember the name right now, maybe they don't have the new firmware available for download but you can update to the latest firmware if you use Samsung magician software, if you have the bad firmware there is no way around, Mac OS journal, APFS, ex fat, NTFS what ever you choose it will be the same story all over again, unless there is a new firmware with the fix, bad firmware sysptom after a minute the drive will go down to 300 mbs, the problem is not APFS unless you are using an old version in a newer system or whatever the reason might be, please post a screenshoot of your firmware

Yeah I will check I will post later..

i don't know about 970, for me 960 is just fine..

I am gonna come where and how I like you don't come, is your problem you to much of noob to say to people what your opinion is its site where people share there Hackintosh problems and there experience you don't like it jump off a cliff we don't need people who only pretend and are trolls like you so go away no one cares what you think anyway..

And go read before trash talk!

You make assumptions about other people’s systems so how is anyone supposed to take you seriously?

Post your firmware like the other user asked. Your system is an anomaly there are hundreds and thousands of Hackintoshes with APFS without any problems.

Samsung makes the best SSDs by far in terms of reliability and speed.
Maybe. Apple are selling external SSDs in their store, probably Sandisk inside. They have similar offerings to Samsung.

Yeah I will check I will post later..
ok here is the deal, yesterday I was at work and I got a little mix up with the numbers, Samsung did pulled the bad firmware from their web site, they had to, the only firmware available is 2B7QCXE7 for the EVO at this time, the same goes for the 960 PRO 2B6QCXP7 I don't even know if the problem was ever fixed or if a firmware update was ever release to fix the bad firmware, another thing is that if you need help you are going to have to open a help threat, is not that I don't want to help you but this is not a help threat and I have to follow the rules, how hard can it be just to check and post your firmware version.

you never mentioned was OS you were referring to, so if the OS is Mac OS Mojave then that is a beta OS to be more specific is not even in public beta yet so we can't talk about it or provide help, you have to wait till PB1 is out to then open a help threat I'll be more than happy to help
best of luck

Last edited:
Think i'll just avoid Samsung in general.
hi vulgo i understand you're feeling that way and I don't blame you, I'm not going to defend Samsung, that's why is good to always check before updating any firmware, all companies make mistakes every once in a while, it is unacceptable , yes totally unacceptable, yesterday I order another pair of Samsung 970 so I can make a raid0 with 4 Samsung 970, or 2 raid0 with 2 drives each, my drives are working good so I will not risk updating my firmware unless it been prove that is a good firmware than increases readability or performance, the problem was with the 960 that came with the bad firmware already installed from factory, I never updated none of my good drives with the bad firmware. I was able to find out before doing so, if not then that firmware would render all those drive useless as they will categorized as faulty or defective but they were good and I was able to sell them all then I bought the 970's PRO

This NVMe SSD issue is very interesting. Some people swear that APFS causes all sorts of trouble and some swear it doesn't.

My personal experiences:
  • I'm still on High Sierra and have not tried Mojave yet.
  • I have done two builds for friends (one Asus Z170 system and one Asus Z370) using Samsung 960 EVO and neither have experienced any problems on APFS with Trim enabled.
  • On my own build, I recently upgraded from an old Samsung SM951 AHCI to 970 EVO NVMe and have experienced zero problems on APFS with Trim enabled.
  • On my HP 8300, I use a Crucial 2.5" SSD. APFS and Trim enabled. Zero problems
  • All the above systems have been on APFS since High Sierra was installed.
  • I have never run any of these SSDs with Trim disabled.
  • I have never tried to force HFS+ on High Sierra on these systems.

Since, with the same SSDs, not everyone can reproduced the described problems (slow booting, slow performance), I don't think Samsung or APFS can be blamed. Aside from the batch Samsung SSDs with bad firmware and considering that Apple ships with APFS as default, I suspect that something else is the root of the issues. Perhaps hackintosh installation method? Perhaps motherboard BIOS versions? I don't know... But I'm definitely not convinced that APFS and/or Trim can be blamed.

This NVMe SSD issue is very interesting. Some people swear that APFS causes all sorts of trouble and some swear it doesn't.

My personal experiences:
  • I'm still on High Sierra and have not tried Mojave yet.
  • I have done two builds for friends (one Asus Z170 system and one Asus Z370) using Samsung 960 EVO and neither have experienced any problems on APFS with Trim enabled.
  • On my own build, I recently upgraded from an old Samsung SM951 AHCI to 970 EVO NVMe and have experienced zero problems on APFS with Trim enabled.
  • On my HP 8300, I use a Crucial 2.5" SSD. APFS and Trim enabled. Zero problems
  • All the above systems have been on APFS since High Sierra was installed.
  • I have never run any of these SSDs with Trim disabled.
  • I have never tried to force HFS+ on High Sierra on these systems.

Since, with the same SSDs, not everyone can reproduced the described problems (slow booting, slow performance), I don't think Samsung or APFS can be blamed. Aside from the batch Samsung SSDs with bad firmware and considering that Apple ships with APFS as default, I suspect that something else is the root of the issues. Perhaps hackintosh installation method? Perhaps motherboard BIOS versions? I don't know... But I'm definitely not convinced that APFS and/or Trim can be blamed.
exactly :thumbup::clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back