Contribute
Register

Apple Reveals macOS 10.14 Mojave at WWDC - Available Fall 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please work on making coherent sentences because your run-on sentences make my head spin :crazy:

As far as the 960 Evo and APFS, I used that same exact drive (1TB version) for almost 1 month daily with ZERO problems. The drive had 700GB of data on it and it worked flawlessly.

I returned it because the 970 Pro came out and I purchased that instead and I prefer longevity and faster speeds that the Pro version provides.

Maybe your NVME is faulty. Is TRIM enabled? You should enable it either via Terminal or via Clover patch.

You're telling me that Apple made APFS (which took years) and that when all of their machines out there (many many millions) use NVME (they use Samsung controllers and NAND) that no one has noticed issues with APFS?

C'mon, when you make an argument, present facts instead of some random opinion.:beachball:
it sounds like he has one of the drives the bad affected firmware
this is old news in Samsung forum dating all the way back to December of last year
I received one of those drives that's why I find out everything about it
I returned that drive and got a full refund
no way to downgrade the firmware
Samsung really screw up there
many people just made the mistake of updating to the new "bad" firmware
other simply bought a new drive that came with the new firmware already installed
that is what happened to me
the drive came with the bad firmware installed from factory

then I also find out about the controller difference between the drives
many people made it seems like the only difference was just the speed
the PRO being just a bit faster
but it was more than that
EVO = MLC
PRO = TLC
that's why the PRO can sustain writing speed longer and the EVO drops after writing just a few GIGS

Last edited:
I had 8 samsung 960 EVO, used them individually, used all of them in raid0, created 2 raid0 arrays of 4 disk each, never had a problem with none of the drives, the only problem was the drive that came with the bad firmware, I used any of the 960 in HFS+ and/or APFS never had a problem, your problem has to be the bad firmware or a bad drive

it sounds like he has one of the drives the bad affected firmware
this is old news in Samsung forum dating all the way back to December of last year
I received one of those drives that's why I find out everything about it
I returned that drive and got a full refund
no way to downgrade the firmware
Samsung really screw up there
many people just made the mistake of updating to the new "bad" firmware
other simply bought a new drive that came with the new firmware already installed
that is what happened to me
the drive came with the bad firmware installed from factory

then I also find out about the controller difference between the drives
many people made it seems like the only difference was just the speed
the PRO being just a bit faster
but it was more than that
EVO = MLC
PRO = TLC
that's why the PRO can sustain writing speed longer and the EVO drops after writing just a few GIGS

I had 8 samsung 960 EVO, used them individually, used all of them in raid0, created 2 raid0 arrays of 4 disk each, never had a problem with none of the drives, the only problem was the drive that came with the bad firmware, I used any of the 960 in HFS+ and/or APFS never had a problem, your problem has to be the bad firmware or a bad drive

That sounds about right. I've always purchased Samsung SSDs for years and never had a problem. They make their own NAND and Controller and it's always been stable with no issues.

I couldn't be happier with the 970 Pro (I moved up from an older SM951 AHCI, which was still good/solid).

The 970 Pro that just came out is an industry standard top performing leader, zero issues here.

That sounds about right. I've always purchased Samsung SSDs for years and never had a problem. They make their own NAND and Controller and it's always been stable with no issues.

I couldn't be happier with the 970 Pro (I moved up from an older SM951 AHCI, which was still good/solid).

The 970 Pro that just came out is an industry standard top performing leader, zero issues here.
hi I also had sm951 but that was ahci and green color pcb drive
i don't remember if a nvme version of that drive came out or maybe it was the sm961 the one that was nvme
at that time there was no support for nvme drives on os
support for nvme m.2 came later
I basically went from
sm951 to sm961 then 950 pro
960 evo and now 970 pro
love those m.2 drives they are super fast, make everything smooth and responsive
:headbang:

hi I also had sm951 but that was ahci and green color pcb drive
i don't remember if a nvme version of that drive came out or maybe it was the sm961 the one that was nvme
at that time there was no support for nvme drives on os
support for nvme m.2 came later
I basically went from
sm951 to sm961 then 950 pro
960 evo and now 970 pro
love those m.2 drives they are super fast, make everything smooth and responsive
:headbang:

I think there was an NVME version of the SM951. I had the AHCI version because I didn't want to deal with Sierra's NVME "hacks" so it worked OOB.

But then I moved that drive to this x299 build and it worked well for months, now moved from 512GB to 1TB 970 Pro and super happy. Big files open in seconds and saving in Photoshop on big files is so fast.

Please work on making coherent sentences because your run-on sentences make my head spin :crazy:

As far as the 960 Evo and APFS, I used that same exact drive (1TB version) for almost 1 month daily with ZERO problems. The drive had 700GB of data on it and it worked flawlessly.

I returned it because the 970 Pro came out and I purchased that instead and I prefer longevity and faster speeds that the Pro version provides.

Maybe your NVME is faulty. Is TRIM enabled? You should enable it either via Terminal or via Clover patch.

You're telling me that Apple made APFS (which took years) and that when all of their machines out there (many many millions) use NVME (they use Samsung controllers and NAND) that no one has noticed issues with APFS?

C'mon, when you make an argument, present facts instead of some random opinion.:beachball:
what trim you dream off when mac os forces trim automatically ?? You just talk without any knowledge..

are you sure you don't have a 960 with the bad affected firmware, if your drive production date is after sept 2017 or if you upgraded to the bad firmware then that is the cost of the problem that you are describing, trust me I know about this problem, I had 8 Samsung 960 evo in raid0 and even I had the drives with the good firmware, I sold them all after I find out that the drives get very slow after you copied just around 15 to 20 gigs of data, my first Samsung m.2 drivers were the 950 PRO but at that time we only had the buggy kext from Mac vids cards so I returned both drives and got a refund then later rehabman found a solution to patch a file so we can use Samsung m.2 drives without any problem, this solution was better than the first one but it did requires to update the file after ever major system update, rehabman always kept the file updated, I made the mistake of buying all my drives EVO 960 then later apple added 3rd party m.2 support so we no longer has to patch the files, now I have 4 Samsung M.2 970 PRO and i don't have the performance drop that the EVO has after writing certain amount of gigs, I even had thermal pads in my 960 but it wasn't an overheating issue it was just the difference between the controller or memory type on the drive

ok if I remember correctly this is the bad firmware
keep in mind that the firmware number between the PRO and EVO might be different but it will start with #3 for the bad buggy firmware

960 PRO

2B6QCXP7 = good firmware
3B6QCXP7 = bad firmware

960 EVO
2B7QCXE7 = good firmware
3B7QCXE7 = bad firmware

I'm not sure if Samsung has resealed a new firmware to fix the bad firmware problem but many people was upset and they returned their drives, I was one of them and I had to buy drives with production date earlier than September 2017 just to finished my raid0 configuration, I was lucky enough to find the last 3 with production date July 2017, brand new sealed on the box, I used those drives for a few months then sold them all and bought the 970's I can confirmed no problem with Mojave because I installed Mojave and the drives work as advertise speed

make sure to check you firmware version
make sure the drive is not overheating
make sure the drive is not wear out

cheers

Dives work fine as long as you don't force APFS on them but after APFS boot time drops to 1to 2 min and speeds are abnormal never stable it can drop from 1500mb to 300 while using apfs and i thing i updated the firmware to the latest samsung offers it works just fine with every other filesystem except APFS

I'm 45. I wrote my first code when I was very young on a TRS-80. I wrote code to make money in high school. I had an internship my freshman year of college working with Oracle and the 1.0 version of MS Access connecting to Oracle on a VAX. I was the first and second WWW conferences talking about this strange idea of using a SQL database to provide content on the WWW via Mosaic. I worked at the #2 most traffic website (some say #3) in the late 90's. Then rebuilt all of a huge publishers website. Now I work for one of the largest software companies there is as a transformation architect. I've hacked and programmed computers people have never heard of - Imagination Machine anyone? I even have pretended to know what I am doing on a CM5 (looks it up).

The reason I never reply to this nonsense on Mac cost is that it is entirely what's wrong with civilization: inability to think through the cost of the entire lifecycle of choice. We do it with computers, infrastructure, in business...everywhere.

The bottom line is TCO is a thing, and while the upfront cost of an MBP might be high, I have to do anything to keep it running. This computer is my way of life - it helps me to feed myself. I cannot have a flaky computer if I do I don't get work done, and I don't get fed.

Why did I move to Mac way back when? Two things:

1 - I never had to mess with IPX/SPX drivers again (anyone old enough will get this one!), but seriously I turned it on, plugged in my phone, got all my contacts synced and could get to work.

2 - Del laptops were (are?) terrible. As a consultant, I travel a lot. Years ago I had to take my last Dell out of my bag. The DVD drive popped out of the chassis, hit the floor, slid across the floor, through the security line, and caused untold chaos. I was done.

Moreover, after that, I'll tell you what think is the final area of debate, which is just silly. Read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: some people want the least expensive way to do something. Some people want something beautiful. This is true of watches; as an example, my father is proud of his 1990's g-shock. He thinks my mechanical watch is absurd, "mine is more accurate and costs nothing" he always asserts. He will never understand that for me I look at my watch many times in a day and in a world of ugly Soviet-style utilitarianism I want to look at something pretty for 10 seconds.

If you do not care about aesthetes, you don't. If you do, you will pay not to have a cheap plastic thing.

Now some will talk about performance. You are right; I need the newest X to read my email and work on CAD. No. I don't. Maybe 5% of the user population does.

My brother is one of the worlds best-known CUDA programmers. He does it for a living. He cannot use a mac for work; he needs Nvidia chips. So he has a Razer or some other laptop to work on the go. However, he still has a mac to do his other work. This is a man who could have any computer he wants and has some that are one of a kind prototypes. However, he works on a mac because it just works, he says.

Finally, when I get a new MBP, maybe once in 3 years, I give my mom my older one, she drives them into the ground, and she loves them. Once I started to do this, I never got a call for tech support once. That alone might have saved my family! HAHA!

I think you're painting an inaccurate portrayal of Apple's machine reliability which has been slipping for years. I'd recommend you watch a youtube channel by Louis Rossman for an awakening. Sadly. Apple is no longer the company you portray them to be.

Dives work fine as long as you don't force APFS on them but after APFS boot time drops to 1to 2 min and speeds are abnormal never stable it can drop from 1500mb to 300 while using apfs and i thing i updated the firmware to the latest samsung offers it works just fine with every other filesystem except APFS

You're the only one with a problem here with APFS.

what trim you dream off when mac os forces trim automatically ?? You just talk without any knowledge..

Please stop coming to this site, you don't know much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back