Contribute
Register

Apple Reveals macOS 10.14 Mojave at WWDC - Available Fall 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
You make assumptions about other people’s systems so how is anyone supposed to take you seriously?

Post your firmware like the other user asked. Your system is an anomaly there are hundreds and thousands of Hackintoshes with APFS without any problems.

He asked not you right you went all salty and bully on me but it did not work so now you keep being salty ??

can you just post your firmware version, just to see which one you have, maybe you don't have none of those two and you have version 1 which is also good, install Mac OS on another drive then format Samsung 960 as Mac OS journal and run a benchmark a few times, Ajax or black magic speed test, then reformat the drive as APFS then run the benchmark again, it is weird. I had 960 and they never gave me a problem with APFS, are you sure you are using the same APFS.efi that comes with the Mac OS system that you are using, what I'm trying to say is you are not using APFS.efi a few version behind in a newer os, if you are using a patched version, try with a none patched APFS.efi maybe the one that is patched is causing you the problem, but if you have the bad firmware then that is the problem, because that is the symptoms of the bad firmware, it throttle all the way down to a crawl

About This Mac - System Report - NVMExpress -
look at revision ??????
what is the number there

ok you see you mentioned that you updated the firmware to the latest, I just check Samsung web site and the latest firmware is the bad one, I really don't understand why Samsung hasn't pull that bad firmware, for what I know maybe they update the nvme driver to work with that firmware but that is windows driver only, it will not work with Mac OS, the other only possibility is that you can update to a higher firmware that is available at Samsung web site if you their software something magician I just don't remember the name right now, maybe they don't have the new firmware available for download but you can update to the latest firmware if you use Samsung magician software, if you have the bad firmware there is no way around, Mac OS journal, APFS, ex fat, NTFS what ever you choose it will be the same story all over again, unless there is a new firmware with the fix, bad firmware sysptom after a minute the drive will go down to 300 mbs, the problem is not APFS unless you are using an old version in a newer system or whatever the reason might be, please post a screenshoot of your firmware

I am on 3B7QCXE7 Firmware

Maybe. Apple are selling external SSDs in their store, probably Sandisk inside. They have similar offerings to Samsung.

And historically they also use Hitachi and Toshiba drives. I’ve got 4 sandisk SSDs and they never give me any problems.

This NVMe SSD issue is very interesting. Some people swear that APFS causes all sorts of trouble and some swear it doesn't.

My personal experiences:
  • I'm still on High Sierra and have not tried Mojave yet.
  • I have done two builds for friends (one Asus Z170 system and one Asus Z370) using Samsung 960 EVO and neither have experienced any problems on APFS with Trim enabled.
  • On my own build, I recently upgraded from an old Samsung SM951 AHCI to 970 EVO NVMe and have experienced zero problems on APFS with Trim enabled.
  • On my HP 8300, I use a Crucial 2.5" SSD. APFS and Trim enabled. Zero problems
  • All the above systems have been on APFS since High Sierra was installed.
  • I have never run any of these SSDs with Trim disabled.
  • I have never tried to force HFS+ on High Sierra on these systems.

Since, with the same SSDs, not everyone can reproduced the described problems (slow booting, slow performance), I don't think Samsung or APFS can be blamed. Aside from the batch Samsung SSDs with bad firmware and considering that Apple ships with APFS as default, I suspect that something else is the root of the issues. Perhaps hackintosh installation method? Perhaps motherboard BIOS versions? I don't know... But I'm definitely not convinced that APFS and/or Trim can be blamed.

Well put, and I’ve been reading up a bit on this issue and it also seems there are also software compatibility issues. Steam, Adobe and a few other Pro apps that are not very compatible with apfs most of which have been updated to be more compatible. It’s a new system and there are a lot of variables to consider but in general it has worked well for most users and programs. I think trim is the key. If you dont clean it up it can get messy or if you interrupt a trim shutdown by cutting power then your asking for trouble IMO.

Maybe. Apple are selling external SSDs in their store, probably Sandisk inside. They have similar offerings to Samsung.

Apple uses Samsung in most of their Macs afaik

The iMac pro uses raid 0 samsung afaik

Last edited:
This NVMe SSD issue is very interesting. Some people swear that APFS causes all sorts of trouble and some swear it doesn't.

My personal experiences:
  • I'm still on High Sierra and have not tried Mojave yet.
  • I have done two builds for friends (one Asus Z170 system and one Asus Z370) using Samsung 960 EVO and neither have experienced any problems on APFS with Trim enabled.
  • On my own build, I recently upgraded from an old Samsung SM951 AHCI to 970 EVO NVMe and have experienced zero problems on APFS with Trim enabled.
  • On my HP 8300, I use a Crucial 2.5" SSD. APFS and Trim enabled. Zero problems
  • All the above systems have been on APFS since High Sierra was installed.
  • I have never run any of these SSDs with Trim disabled.
  • I have never tried to force HFS+ on High Sierra on these systems.

Since, with the same SSDs, not everyone can reproduced the described problems (slow booting, slow performance), I don't think Samsung or APFS can be blamed. Aside from the batch Samsung SSDs with bad firmware and considering that Apple ships with APFS as default, I suspect that something else is the root of the issues. Perhaps hackintosh installation method? Perhaps motherboard BIOS versions? I don't know... But I'm definitely not convinced that APFS and/or Trim can be blamed.

I can confirm slower booting on 1TB 970 Pro compared to an older SM951 that I had previously.

Trim is enabled by default on nvme drives in high Sierra.

I don’t mins the longer boot time as the system flies when it’s logged in. It’s only maybe a 20 second difference and my machine is on all the time.

Apple uses Samsung in most of their Macs afaik

The iMac pro uses raid 0 samsung afaik
iMac Pro iFixit teardown SSD:
Popping the shields off, we encounter some chips:
  • SanDisk SDRQF8DC8-128G (four per card, two top and two bottom, for a total of 512 GB × 2 = 1024 GB)
  • Apple 338S00285
They might use similar Samsung memory in other iMac Pros of course. There's no dedicated SSD controller, its handled by the ARM T2 chip.

I am on 3B7QCXE7 Firmware
hi sorry for the late reply I been very busy fixing the house painting and stuff like that, usually I use my computer everyday but I was very busy and tired and I didn't turn it on, there is your answer like I suspect it, it is the firmware, you might think that is only with APFS but if you have another spare drive, simply install windows on that spare drive, boot up then format the 960 in NTFS and run a few benchmarks then you will see that it will also happens on windows using NTFS, sorry for the bad news, you can contact Samsung and they can replace the drive for one with an older firmware or give you a credit for you to buy a new 970, simply use google and search for this

3B7QCXE7 crap

since I can provide a direct link outside the forum
sorry for the word , I didn't use the word but I was accepted in Samsung forum so I guess is not a bad word
is up to you now if you want to contact samsung, depending on how long since you have the drive
but I'm sure if you know what to say they will have to do something about it
like send you a 960 with a good firmware or replace the drive for something else

thank you for posting the firmware
try in windows and you'll see that it will happens in windows too
but really don't waste your time
simply read the messages in Samsung forum

Whoa that's a crazy setup. Extreeeeeeeeeme speeds :headbang:

You can always slap Time Machine on that 2TB RAID0 and you should be ok. (Or put in a 2TB internal HD to do daily/hourly backups with Carbon Copy Cloner, orrr....you can do it manually). The Samsungs (I was wrong on this) were not used on the iMac Pro actually, they use SanDisk NAND and T2 controller, but Samsung is pretty solid has a low failure rate. I must've bought more than 15-20 Samsung SSDs in the last few years, no problems. Your PRO versions are top tier NAND and Controller.

You might be saturating the PCIe lanes with so many NVMe's, but I think that's a good speed you have going. Are you doing capturing/editing?
I have a 40 lanes CPU, right now I'm only using three 4x pci-e adapters and one of the 970 is on the motherboard, my board support 4x m.2, it only has one slot for m.2 drive but that's enough to run the 4 drives setup, I had two 16x cards from amfeltec but I returned them, is really along story but I do not recommend that company at all, I just had a horrible experience dealing with them, I had 8 Samsung 960 EVO running 4 on each card and went all the way up to 18,000 but the Evo's drop speed very fast even if you use a single EVO, so it wasn't a raid problem, EVO's are just build like that, that's why I decided to go back to the PRO's and I changed my board for one that has at least one onboard 4X M.2 slot, my previous board has only one but at 2X that's why I was forced to buy an expensive card just to have the four drives, but now my system is back on business the way I like it, anyway thanks, just waiting for Mojave, just love the new dark theme and the features.

yes I have a Phantom 4 Pro drone and I do videos in 4K so I do editing and rendering AKA encoding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back