Contribute
Register

Apple Cube 2.0 - i5-2500T - GA-H67N-USB3-B3 - 16GB RAM - SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blah101 said:
This is truly an amazing mod! Nice work, I can't believe all that fits in that tiny box!

Yep, I think this is on the bleeding edge of what will go in there.......and I can't see anyone else ever doing a more comprehensive job on the Cube.

Having said that I can't imagine that it could be both cool and quiet at anything over idling performance. If it achieves either one of those things then it is amazing.....and in fact even if it achieved neither the engineering and craftsmanship is still stunning! If both cool AND quiet then this really is the gold standard of Cube mod.s

Whatever, it is definitely hats off to you sir. :eek: :thumbup:

minihack said:
I can't imagine that it could be both cool and quiet at anything over idling performance.

Why not? There's less than 100W total max system TDP to dissipate, with an efficient heatpipe cooler and two exhaust fans to do so. More than doable.

ectoplasmosis said:
minihack said:
I can't imagine that it could be both cool and quiet at anything over idling performance.

Why not? There's less than 100W total max system TDP to dissipate, with an efficient heatpipe cooler and two exhaust fans to do so. More than doable.

Just because I have done a couple of Cubes myself and know how tight it is in there.

Air coming in from the bottom has a narrow difficult entry path and then everything is very much up close and personal especially when full. A mostly closed up acrylic square with a metal box inside it is not the most user friendly environment for keeping things cool. Fans can be up against flat surfaces rather than actually having room around them to move air.....so my guess (and you are right it is a guess, albeit based on a little experience) is that it'll be tough keeping it both cool and quiet.

But, like I said, I really admire and like what has been done here. I truely think it deserves huge congratulations for engineering excellence, innovation and imagination. Love it to bits.

tviolation said:
Does the graphics card work properly even with the PCIe extension cable? I remember reading something about the latency causing issues for graphics cards, but if it doesn't... that's a great solution!
The graphics card works perfekt. Full HD movies are no problem. I haven't tested games on it so far. First I planed to turn the card 180° round so I would need more than about 15cm of the extension cable. I asked the guy on eBay if two riser cards in a row are possible. He said that it "should" be possible...

minihack said:
Having said that I can't imagine that it could be both cool and quiet at anything over idling performance.
Yes, you're right. But when the two 40mm are off (just for testing) you nearly can't hear the big 92mm fan and the two 50mm for the graphics card. The loudest fans are the 40mm in my system. They are okay with 7V but the voltage is too low to start them up. I ordered 40mm from "Noiseblocker" which should be better.

But remember the size is just about 170x170x170mm. The case has a empty volume of only 0.005m³. Both 40mm fans are able to move 12m³/h air outside. The air of the complete case is exchanged every second if the components need 50% space of the case volume. Not bad,..hmm?

sleppek said:
But remember the size is just about 170x170x170mm. The case has a empty volume of only 0.005m³. Both 40mm fans are able to move 12m³/h air outside. The air of the complete case is exchanged every second if the components need 50% space of the case volume. Not bad,..hmm?

Yes, I know. My comment was not meant to be a criticism.....

But knowing how building any computer inside this Cube case is really a choice of "which" compromise to make I was just sort of wondering out loud about the balance you have struck with your mod.

As you'll have gathered though, in my mind this is a stunning build simply for the thought and great care and skill that has gone in.

PS I'd still love to see the underneath picture though!

sleppek - again I really appreciate your selection of devices and your engineering this solution. This is from having done a few cubes in the past. And thank you for the illustration of the fans and locations.

However we are still waiting to see your cube from the bottom.

Keep up the good work.
neil

Here is the image I wanted to share with you.

Cube15.jpg

It looks not really good but it's the bottom side and you don't see it while it stands on the desk. ;)

I got the two Noiseblocker fans yesterday and installed them this morning:
Cube14.jpg

The 1x1x4cm plexiglas block is illuminated while the Cube is running. In "white" because red, green or blue has everyone!!!

And this is looking like that...
Cube16.jpg

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
I... only can say GREAT !!!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
10 points , mod !!!

Hi Sleppek,

I am very impressed with what you have crammed into your Cube. I am about to start building one and had a quick question for you. I am using the DH61AG mobo that neilhart used and wanted to try to keep the original Cube heatsink intact and use it to dissipate heat. I am looking to go fanless. No discreet graphics card for me, just onboard i3 HD3000 is all I am looking for. I notice that your Samuel 17 oops like it is about to where the heat sink would be had you not removed it. Is this so? Is it a little past that edge? It is my understanding that the Samuel is 45 mm tall. Would the Sctthe Kozuti which is 40 mm be a better bet? Also, what is the top of the Samuel like? I would plan to leave off the fan and have it in direct contact with the Cube heatsink. Is the top flush? Would it make good enough contact to transfer the heat? Is this a terrible idea? Again congrats on the great build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back