Contribute
Register

Apple Cube 2.0 - i5-2500T - GA-H67N-USB3-B3 - 16GB RAM - SSD

Joined
Jan 28, 2012
Messages
37
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77N-WIFI
CPU
Intel Core i7-3770T
Graphics
ASUS EAH6670/DIS/1GD5, Radeon HD 6670, 1GB GDDR5
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Android
frisco said:
What I meant is the power brick (AC to DC) the one that you plug the wall and the pico unit, did you purchase the pico psu that comes with the power adaptor or do you use the power adapter from the old cube system?

Thanks so much for the guide man, I really appreciate it. This is my first build so I want to make sure I got everything working and you are really helpful.
The PicoPSU needs a 12V input and the original cube power adapter has 28V. I bought a 192W on amazon.de in a bundle with the PicoPSU 160W.
 
Joined
Oct 17, 2011
Messages
15
Motherboard
Z68X-UD3H-B3 (EUFI)
CPU
Intel 2500K
Graphics
XFX 6870
Mac
MacBook Air
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Sleppek, awesome work, when I saw this I knew I was going to make one and luckily my university's 'surplus' store was selling a fully functional g4 cube with 10.3.9 for $40 USD, already have gutted it to its barest form. Waiting on Novus #1 and #2 Plastic Polish to come in tomorrow (couldn't find a US store that sells Xerapol). Super excited to start on the project, but being in university means I have class and no extra money at the time, but this will be a nice side project for the time being until I can fully devote time and energy (and money!) to the project.

Quick Question, how did you remove the spot welded metal on the bottom panel of the cube, what I think was the motherboard support bracket, did you drill it out? or Dremel with a cutting wheel held very carefully? Or some other method? I have a dremel, I just would like to know how you approached it so I can minimize any damage.

Also, can you give us the name of the proximity sensor you used? I still would want to keep the original button if possible, but your solution looks just as good. Also, did you have to modify your inner frame to compensate for the custom sensor? or does it just perfectly fit?
 
Joined
May 27, 2010
Messages
2,430
Motherboard
Dell Optiplex 9030 All in One
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD 4600
Mac
Mac mini
Classic Mac
iMac
Mobile Phone
iOS
theyangster said:
Waiting on Novus #1 and #2 Plastic Polish to come in tomorrow (couldn't find a US store that sells Xerapol).
I find that good old "Brasso" is cheaper and works better than the Novus stuff. At least over here in the UK the Novus pricing is outrageous for a tiny bottle.

Good luck.
 
Joined
Jan 28, 2012
Messages
37
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77N-WIFI
CPU
Intel Core i7-3770T
Graphics
ASUS EAH6670/DIS/1GD5, Radeon HD 6670, 1GB GDDR5
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Android
theyangster said:
Quick Question, how did you remove the spot welded metal on the bottom panel of the cube, what I think was the motherboard support bracket, did you drill it out? or Dremel with a cutting wheel held very carefully? Or some other method? I have a dremel, I just would like to know how you approached it so I can minimize any damage.
I don't know exacly which part you mean. But the best tool for all the metal work is definitely the Dremel. You need a Dremel with power (mine has 125W which is enough). The noname things you can get very cheap always have around 30W which is not enough for that strong Apple steel :D


theyangster said:
Also, can you give us the name of the proximity sensor you used? I still would want to keep the original button if possible, but your solution looks just as good. Also, did you have to modify your inner frame to compensate for the custom sensor? or does it just perfectly fit?
The touch sensor is called "MT0.2-ST-NR-N" (and cost about 25$) from Edison Sensor Systeme which is a german company. You just need to connect the three calbes to the 5Vstandby and the power connector of your mainboard. That's it! I think the company does not ship these sensors to the US. (But I will be in the US next week: Washington, New York and Boston :) )

Yes. I had to modify the inner frame because the sensor is rectangular and not round. You see it on that picutre:

 
Joined
Oct 17, 2011
Messages
15
Motherboard
Z68X-UD3H-B3 (EUFI)
CPU
Intel 2500K
Graphics
XFX 6870
Mac
MacBook Air
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Thanks for the info Sleppek!

Novus 1 and 2 was $10 shipped here in the US from amazon, but I'll take a look at brasso too, I have 'bluemagic' metal polish compound as well, maybe you can get some novus you come by the states :D, Novus 2 is working, just takes a while, I learned the hard way with using a Dremel too fast, melted the plastic by accident :(, oh well, its on the back anyway.

No worries, I forgot what the bracket was connected to, so I couldn't describe it, picture of it is attached, I was asking because it seemed like you took it off so cleanly. I have the dremel 3000, mid-range model, got to get all the accessories, cutting wheels soon, I just a got a starter kit.

Thanks for the picture and info on the sensor, I'm sure there is something similar here in the US. If not, I have relatives that live in Germany, so they might be able source one for me :)

IMG_8128.jpg
 

Attachments

Joined
May 27, 2010
Messages
2,430
Motherboard
Dell Optiplex 9030 All in One
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD 4600
Mac
Mac mini
Classic Mac
iMac
Mobile Phone
iOS
theyangster said:
Thanks for the info Sleppek!

Novus 1 and 2 was $10 shipped here in the US from amazon, but I'll take a look at brasso too, I have 'bluemagic' metal polish compound as well, maybe you can get some novus you come by the states :D, Novus 2 is working, just takes a while, I learned the hard way with using a Dremel too fast, melted the plastic by accident :(, oh well, its on the back anyway.

No worries, I forgot what the bracket was connected to, so I couldn't describe it, picture of it is attached, I was asking because it seemed like you took it off so cleanly. I have the dremel 3000, mid-range model, got to get all the accessories, cutting wheels soon, I just a got a starter kit.

Thanks for the picture and info on the sensor, I'm sure there is something similar here in the US. If not, I have relatives that live in Germany, so they might be able source one for me :)

IMG_8128.jpg
That's a bracket to fix an 80mm base fan......
 
Joined
Jan 28, 2012
Messages
37
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77N-WIFI
CPU
Intel Core i7-3770T
Graphics
ASUS EAH6670/DIS/1GD5, Radeon HD 6670, 1GB GDDR5
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Android
theyangster said:
Novus 1 and 2 was $10 shipped here in the US from amazon, but I'll take a look at brasso too, I have 'bluemagic' metal polish compound as well, maybe you can get some novus you come by the states :D, Novus 2 is working, just takes a while, I learned the hard way with using a Dremel too fast, melted the plastic by accident :(, oh well, its on the back anyway.
Okay. You polished your case with the Dremel? I did it by hand and the result is really good. (I had aching muscles afterwards *lol*)


theyangster said:
No worries, I forgot what the bracket was connected to, so I couldn't describe it, picture of it is attached, I was asking because it seemed like you took it off so cleanly. I have the dremel 3000, mid-range model, got to get all the accessories, cutting wheels soon, I just a got a starter kit.
Ah, yes. I remember this metal thing. A screw driver and brute force were enough for that part. You don't need your Dremel for this. I've only the Dremel 300 with original accessories and noname equivalent tools. The original ones are much better!


theyangster said:
Thanks for the picture and info on the sensor, I'm sure there is something similar here in the US. If not, I have relatives that live in Germany, so they might be able source one for me :)
No pronlem. If you need futher information just let me know. It would be nice to see picutures from your project! :)
 
Joined
Oct 17, 2011
Messages
15
Motherboard
Z68X-UD3H-B3 (EUFI)
CPU
Intel 2500K
Graphics
XFX 6870
Mac
MacBook Air
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
minihack said:
That's a bracket to fix an 80mm base fan......
DOH, no wonder I couldn't figure it out and yet the shape looked so familiar!

I will definitely post pictures of when my build is finally complete, it'll probably be a while though...

Thanks again for all the tips and tricks!
 
Joined
Jun 27, 2012
Messages
2
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Hi!
Really great work. I just won der how exactly you used the proximity switch. Which one did you use exactly? There are different versions on the homepage available. How did you do the shielding to the RAM? Could you also please explain how you exactly plugged the cables.

Thank you very much an advance!
Ellfie
 
Joined
Jan 28, 2012
Messages
37
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77N-WIFI
CPU
Intel Core i7-3770T
Graphics
ASUS EAH6670/DIS/1GD5, Radeon HD 6670, 1GB GDDR5
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Android
Ellfie said:
I just won der how exactly you used the proximity switch. Which one did you use exactly? There are different versions on the homepage available.
You can see it on my posted pictures. The touch sensor is located on the mainfraime of the Cube. I used the "Edison Sensor MT0.2N-NR-N" The NR means "Nicht rastend" (which means that it gives a trigger signal like a switch) and the last N that the signal is switched to GND.

Ellfie said:
. How did you do the shielding to the RAM?
I used a 0.5 and 0.3mm metal plate to cover the hole of the original sensor.

Ellfie said:
Could you also please explain how you exactly plugged the cables.
The following picture shows the wiring of the sensor:
 
Top