Contribute
Register

Apple Announces M1 Ultra CPU, Mac Studio and Studio Display

The fact that the bottom can be removed relatively easily (only 4 screws) is a huge plus in terms of dust cleaning. The intake is where clogging would occur most.

That being said, I'd be loath to go much further than removing the bottom plate.

Despite what anyone may think about upgradability or price, having watched this video my admiration for Apple engineering has just gone up a level. This machine is a thing of beauty. It's complex and it's fiddly but what other computer company matches this sheer quality of build?

Despite what anyone may think about upgradability or price, having watched this video my admiration for Apple engineering has just gone up a level. This machine is a thing of beauty. It's complex and it's fiddly but what other computer company matches this sheer quality of build?
It is definitely a tedious assembly process with great attention to detail. Any idea where these are assembled?

Screen Shot 19.jpg

Its a process to go beyond that for sure, I wouldn't want to go there either unless I was trying to upgrade the SSD too. I'd also want to be able to replace the circular adhesive strip after although it seemed to come off it one piece, might halfway stick back on or you could probably add a releasable adhesive to make it stay.

Edit: Thinking about this some more, you could leave off the circular seal altogether and buy some low profile self adhesive rubber feet to use. That way the screws would always be accessible and make regular cleaning a little easier.

I would either (1) just peel back the rubber a bit where the screws are or (2) cut off bits of the rubber where the screws are so that I'd always have easy access to them.

I see no reason why 3rd parties can't produce compatible SSDs. I'd love to have two SSDs internal.

Someone will eventually. Long before any EOL occurs on the included one anyway. :thumbup:

This means that the Mac Studio is a keeper. With that quality of build and replaceable SSDs all you need do is ensure you have enough RAM at the time of purchase.

If I had the free cash I'd order one in a blink.

:)

all you need do is ensure you have enough RAM at the time of purchase.

This is the key. My current daily driver, an Asus Z370-G, has RAM slots but I have never had the need to upgrade the RAM from the time I built it 4.5 years ago. It would not have made any difference if the RAM had been soldered to the motherboard.

I see no reason why 3rd parties can't produce compatible SSDs. I'd love to have two SSDs internal.

Something just occurred to me after watching the video trs96 linked to...

The SSD doesn't contain any controller chip... I'm assuming the T2 does the controlling. I don't know how difficult it would be for 3rd parties to produce compatible SSDs. On the other hand, it should be a lucrative venture since they wouldn't have to include any controller chip...

No. I've never tried them but I've watched videos and read reviews. They look good.
They are, I read where one reviewers says they can reuse them and they like that feature because it makes it easier for them switching out CPU's. I was only able to reuse one three times before it ripped and became problematic. At around $18 for the size of a 12th Gen Intel Processor I'm not sure I'd go that route again unless there were special circumstances.

Back