Contribute
Register

Apple Announces M1 Ultra CPU, Mac Studio and Studio Display

"can" doesn't mean you should. Apple's cooling solution will be good enough. Also check whether tearing this apart voids your warranty first.

I wouldn't do it because getting down that far looks like way too much work. But if I ever did, I'd def liquid metal it because it never "dries up" or "crusts up".

I wouldn't do it because getting down that far looks like way too much work. But if I ever did, I'd def liquid metal it because it never "dries up" or "crusts up".
Have you ever tried a Carbonaut pad instead of paste? I used one in a build and it did quite well.

Have you ever tried a Carbonaut pad instead of paste? I used one in a build and it did quite well.

No. I've never tried them but I've watched videos and read reviews. They look good.

Most likely a proprietary connection. Not your standard NVMe.
Definitely a proprietary connector, and not even the same as in the current MacPro. Also the module is very short, so it's not practical to have adapters for standard M.2 drives; a M.2 2230 may fit, possibly a 2242 but certainly not a 2280. Who'd like a small capacity DRAM-less M.2 2230 SSD, as typically found in cheap laptops, in his Mac Studio?

OWC may make suitable modules, but they will likely cost 150-200% the price of standard SSDs of the same capacity so it's still best to get the right amount of first-tier storage from Apple—and put the rest on Thunderbolt or in a NAS with 10G networking.

I want to see the video where they try to reassemble it. That would be entertaining.
I second that! Spending $17k on three Mac Studio (that's a lot of T-shirts to sell!), moving immediately from unboxing an Ultra to dismounting it without ever powering it up… All of that ungrounded, on a nice but not anti-static wooden table, and spreading the parts around in no obviously apparent order. Hmmm, let's hope he trains his memory as well as he trains his upper body in the gym.

So we know the Studio can be taken apart—tediously—, that ports can be replaced if damaged (good!), that storage could be upgraded (even though it would still be easiest to have it done by an Apple "Genius", at Apple price) or moved from one damaged Mac Studio to its replacement, and that there's an Apple logo well hidden where the sun never shines and no-one is ever supposed to look. :lol:
Still, better avoid dust in the first place!

Still, better avoid dust in the first place!

The fact that the bottom can be removed relatively easily (only 4 screws) is a huge plus in terms of dust cleaning. The intake is where clogging would occur most.

That being said, I'd be loath to go much further than removing the bottom plate.

Here's a comparison of the Mac Studio SSD to a standard M keyed NVMe SSD.

Screen_Shot_17.jpg

Screen Shot 16.jpg

The fact that the bottom can be removed relatively easily (only 4 screws) is a huge plus in terms of dust cleaning. The intake is where clogging would occur most.

That being said, I'd be loath to go much further than removing the bottom plate.
Its a process to go beyond that for sure, I wouldn't want to go there either unless I was trying to upgrade the SSD too. I'd also want to be able to replace the circular adhesive strip after although it seemed to come off it one piece, might halfway stick back on or you could probably add a releasable adhesive to make it stay.

Edit: Thinking about this some more, you could leave off the circular seal altogether and buy some low profile self adhesive rubber feet to use. That way the screws would always be accessible and make regular cleaning a little easier.

Last edited:
I'd also want to be able to replace the circular adhesive strip after although it seemed to come off it one piece, might halfway stick back on or you could probably add a releasable adhesive to make it stay.
CJ shows another way to remove the circular bottom base without scraping off the adhesive. Heat it up before removing it. Still would rather leave it alone though unless the SSD really needed to be replaced for some good reason.

Skip ahead to the two minute mark to see how.

Last edited:
Back