Contribute
Register

Anybody with the "Essentials.pkg" Error

Status
Not open for further replies.
-no-zp doesn't do it for me... :(

Not sure what's changed exactly but Mavericks and Yosemite seem to be a lot more problematic to install than previous versions of OSX.

For Yosemite I first got the Install.esd error when trying to create the Unibeast USB. Re-downloading the OSX installer seemed to fix that.

Once I've got my Unibeast USB set up I've had no issues whatsoever getting the installer to boot (no extra boot flags needed) it just always throws up the the "essentials.pkg" error during the install.

I'm now on my 4th download of Yosemite and have tried 3 different USB sticks so far...:(

I'm wondering if its possibly something to do with the size of the USB stick?
Seems to me like its trying to decompress the file and maybe running out of space on the USB drive...?
Similar to the recent issues some people experienced when trying to update to iOS8 on an almost full 16gb iPhone.

Has anyone with this problem tried a 16GB USB drive instead of an 8GB?
(I don't have a 16GB drive to test this myself)

My pendrive is 16GB and i have the same error. I don't know what more to try.

Going to get a brand new USB stick this weekend and give it another go.

If I have no luck then I think I'm just going to wait it out a little bit, hopefully a later version of Unibeast will fix things.

After all (and I suspect the same may be true for a lot of you) I don't actually need Yosemite right now! My Mavericks install is working just peachy and judging by the amount of issues people are having after installing Yosemite I think it might just be better to stick with my nicely working system for now... :)

strange, had this issue on my very 1st attempt as well, simply started over without changing anything (except for enabling the Yosi install log) and kept the system active by clicking with the mouse from time to time - and the install went through...

strange, had this issue on my very 1st attempt as well, simply started over without changing anything (except for enabling the Yosi install log) and kept the system active by clicking with the mouse from time to time - any the install went through...

Interesting... going to give that a go now with my existing Unibeast USB. Maybe there's something going on with the system becoming idle, trying to sleep or something along those lines...

Will report back here shortly!

Hehe, thanks for crossed fingers but I'm afraid they didn't help! I'll try my original plan and get a new USB stick in the next day or two.

Out of interest the log shows the following:

Operation: Install packages failed, Failure Reason: Error Domain=PKInstallErrorDomain Code=110 "An error occurred while extracting files from the package “Essentials.pkg”." UserInfo=0x7fc4f6f1da80 {NSUnderlyingError=0x7fc4f6f190e0 "archive verify failed", NSFilePath=/Volumes/Yosemite/.OSInstallSandboxPath/Root, NSURL=Essentials.pkg -- file:///System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg#Distribution,
The "archive verify failed" seems to be the main indication of what's causing the problem. I guess it must be corrupted after all...

Oh well, I can live without Yosemite for the time being. :)

So, a fresh install with Unibeast 5.0.1 to a 8GB stick did it! i used another stick as before....

i think the stick was the fault, because i did everything as in my first attempt of installation with Unibeast.

Good Luck Guys!

YEESS, finally achieved !! I try with another usb pendrive and there was not problem at all. Only need to put GraphicsEnabler=Yes, nothing more !!

Very thanks to Fa90 for sharing his experience.

Had same problem. Tried around 4 or 5 downloads of Yosemite and had same problem would fail install at 10 mins with essentials.pkg error. Download Yosemite again this mounted the image from installer. Show package contents resource folder and double clicked dmg. It verified ejected disk. Ran unibeast again and it installed first attempt. One happy bunny at long last.

So, a new USB did the trick and got rid of the Essentials.pkg error.

Still took a few attempts though, as despite not ever showing an error, it seemed to hang at the same point (10-11 mins remaining) even after I left it to do its thing for over 1.5 hours... When I checked the log again there was no error but the last entry was concerning with decompressing essentials.pkg.

Anyway, in the end I disconnected my existing Mavericks system drive, (which I was keeping as a back-up anyway and not upgrading), then I connected my blank Yosemite SSD in its place. This basically meant that the Yosemite SSD was now on P0 instead of P1 in the SATA boot priority/bios settings...
I assume that must be what made the difference as the installation completed after I did this.

There's probably a guide from TM himself somewhere that recommends disconnecting all other system drives before installing a new version OSX, but to be honest I've never had issue with this in the past.

So, yea if anyone else is still getting the Essentials.pkg error, try a fresh USB even if you think you're existing one is 'good'! :)

I even went back and redownloaded and used the 5.0.1 unibeast that is in the downloads section. Who knows what is going on.

Hi, Whilst installing onto an EX58-UD3R this particular error was showing again and again. Redownloaded as you did too and this seemed to fix the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back