Contribute
Register

Anybody with the "Essentials.pkg" Error

Status
Not open for further replies.
*Sigh*

So I got Yosemite up and running on a 128GB SSD and have been happily tweaking things the last few days to get a nice stable system - even got speed-stepping working nicely etc, etc.

I then thought well, now I've 'tested' it, its time to do a fresh install on my main 500GB System SSD and install just the things I need plus my tweaked SMBIOS and SSDT files.

Turns out I can't get the Yosemite installation to complete again!

I'm getting the Essential.pkg error again even with the same USB stick that previously worked. (This was also a brand new USB drive I might add).

So then I tried the usual time consuming steps... re-download OSX installer, re-create Unibeast USB, and I still get the same problem. Occasionally it fails on the BSD.pkg instead of the Essentials.pkg.

This is driving me nuts, as there is seemingly nothing I can do about this.

I've got no issues creating or booting (no additional bootflags required) into the USB drive it just fails during OSX install in a way that suggests corrupted data is at fault.

I've downloaded the OSX installer and created a Unibest USB so many times now that I'm beginning to suspect it can't be explained away as 'corrupt data' every single time.

All out of ideas now.

Am looking into Clover but seems like there is a lot more for me to learn if I actually want to understand what exactly I'm installing on my system and why...

*Sigh*

So I got Yosemite up and running on a 128GB SSD and have been happily tweaking things the last few days to get a nice stable system - even got speed-stepping working nicely etc, etc.

I then thought well, now I've 'tested' it, its time to do a fresh install on my main 500GB System SSD and install just the things I need plus my tweaked SMBIOS and SSDT files.

Turns out I can't get the Yosemite installation to complete again!

I'm getting the Essential.pkg error again even with the same USB stick that previously worked. (This was also a brand new USB drive I might add).

So then I tried the usual time consuming steps... re-download OSX installer, re-create Unibeast USB, and I still get the same problem. Occasionally it fails on the BSD.pkg instead of the Essentials.pkg.

This is driving me nuts, as there is seemingly nothing I can do about this.

I've got no issues creating or booting (no additional bootflags required) into the USB drive it just fails during OSX install in a way that suggests corrupted data is at fault.

I've downloaded the OSX installer and created a Unibest USB so many times now that I'm beginning to suspect it can't be explained away as 'corrupt data' every single time.

All out of ideas now.

Am looking into Clover but seems like there is a lot more for me to learn if I actually want to understand what exactly I'm installing on my system and why...

Hi,

The problem you're experiencing is the same as what I'd experienced whilst trying to install Yosemite onto an EX58-UD3R Mobo. Creating another Unibeast USB seemed to fix the problem but the Unibeast USB wasn't corrupted as far as I'm aware as it was used to install Yosemite onto a Sabertooth X58 Mobo with no issues.

At a guess I'd try another USB Stick should the 'Essentials.pkg' error persist.
(failing that create the Unibeast USB on another USB Port - clutching straws though admittedly).

Hope this is of some help.

Thanks GadgeGuru,

I'm slowly pulling my hair out lol. To make matters worse now I can't even seem to create a new Unibeast drive! I'm repeatedly getting the old "error creating Unibeast drive: Couldn't mount Install ESD" message.

Based on every reply I've ever seen on the subject it's a corrupted OS X Installer download, the only solution being to re-download it. This 'appears' to be true as when I view the OS Installer package contents and navigate to the InstallESD.dmg and try to mount it... it will get all the way to the end of the verification then fail with a Checksum error.

In the past (I had a similar problems creating my Mavericks installer) a re-download or two would eventually solve it, but today I've downloaded the installer 4 times and cannot get Unibeast to complete an installation!

I've tried a few different USB ports now (on the back of the mobo, via header to front panel ports etc). I used a wired ethernet connection and even plugged that straight to the modem rather than via the router I have in case that was responsible for the download corruption.

Only other things I can think of is maybe the USB drivers and ethernet kexts are causing some problems. My current Yosemite system which I'm downloading the installer on and using to create the Unibeast drive has the hnack 1000e ethernet (highest version) and genericUSB3.0 kexts from the latest multibeast.

So... I've somehow downloaded a copy of the Yosemite installer that doesn't appear to be corrupted!
I can mount InstallESD.dmg successfully and Unibeast is currently installing it on my USB drive.

I have a subscription to a proxy service so I changed my location to Germany before downloading the OS X installer this time, the theory being there may be a corrupted version of it on the nearest Apple server to me...

Whilst I think that's pretty unlikely IMO, I'm really grasping at straws at this point. Some folks on Apple support forums reported the same issue with the corrupted InstallESD.dmg and someone asked how they could try and download from a different server. I thought using a proxy was worth a shot!

So, I'm over the first hurdle (again)...

Fingers crossed the actual install will work this time though I'm almost certain it's not going to! (I've had a 1 in 20ish success rate so far!)

However, I also have a plan B, which is a MacBook Pro I've borrowed from work. Will try downloading OS X and creating the Unibest USB on that if I have no luck with this current attempt! :)

i just had the same problem and solved it by using another usb stick.
also i used another mac to create unibeast. did not redownload the image.

system update was successful afterwards.

Only thing what allowed for me to go through the installer was to remove all put one stick RAM, then installer went through on Z97 mobo, it seems there is some kind of hardware check in the installer (some people cant install Yosemite on their Macbooks because they have upgraded RAM :D).

I'm using Clover UEFI to install Yosemite onto my HP Probook 4540S, Intel 530 SSD. I kept getting the error even trying two different USB thumbdrives. For both thumbdrives, the file was not corrupted as I could copy it out with no errors.

I read this thread and tried to remove as many hardware as possible:

Removed 1 x 2GB RAM; left with 1 x 2GB to install Yosemite
Removed WiFi Half Mini Card

As there is nothing more for me to remove, I tried installation again... and amazingly... it worked!!! :D

I managed to boot and install with the following flags: -x -no-zp npci=0x2000 -f
I did not specify any flags on reboot (after install).

I'm having no joy getting Yosemite (10.10 - haven't tried 10.10.1 yet) to install properly, despite having a setup very close to the summer 2014 Customac mini (except having the GA-Z87N-WIFI as opposed to the H87N). My complete configuration is:

GA-Z87N-WIFI
i3-4360
Crucial Sport 8GB kit DDR3 PC3-12800
Samsung 840 EVO 120GB
TP-Link PCI Express Wifi

I have tried every boot flag I can think of, incl. all those suggested on this and other threads in as many combinations as possible. I've also removed 1 of the RAM sticks and the WIFI card to no avail, and tried both positions for the remaining DIMM. I always get the essentials.pkg error coming up :( I thought with a recommended system I stood a good chance of getting it working... any help appreciated.

(As an aside, I did get 10.9.5 to install and then boot, but with only 7MB for the on-board HD4600 graphics.)

I'm having no joy getting Yosemite (10.10 - haven't tried 10.10.1 yet) to install properly, despite having a setup very close to the summer 2014 Customac mini (except having the GA-Z87N-WIFI as opposed to the H87N). My complete configuration is:

GA-Z87N-WIFI
i3-4360
Crucial Sport 8GB kit DDR3 PC3-12800
Samsung 840 EVO 120GB
TP-Link PCI Express Wifi

I have tried every boot flag I can think of, incl. all those suggested on this and other threads in as many combinations as possible. I've also removed 1 of the RAM sticks and the WIFI card to no avail, and tried both positions for the remaining DIMM. I always get the essentials.pkg error coming up :( I thought with a recommended system I stood a good chance of getting it working... any help appreciated.

(As an aside, I did get 10.9.5 to install and then boot, but with only 7MB for the on-board HD4600 graphics.)

There have been many posts regarding this issue - Use Search for more info.

Some suggest redownloading the install app from the App Store and remaking the Unibeast Flash drive.

Others report success with the -no-zp boot flag.

Please add your system specs to your profile - It will help others to help you and is a requirement of the Rules.

Thanks in anticipation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back