Contribute
Register

Anybody with the "Essentials.pkg" Error

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just wanted to chime in and say that this isn't a hackintosh problem, but a Yosemite problem, since i got the same error on my '09 macbook pro when trying to upgrade from Mavericks to Yosemite... doing a fresh install solved my problems. Make a time machine backup first though. ;)

I don't think so because i have the same error with a fresh Mavericks install. I have no problem at all with SnowLeopard / Lion / MountainLion.

-no-zp doesn't do it for me... :(

Not sure what's changed exactly but Mavericks and Yosemite seem to be a lot more problematic to install than previous versions of OSX.

For Yosemite I first got the Install.esd error when trying to create the Unibeast USB. Re-downloading the OSX installer seemed to fix that.

Once I've got my Unibeast USB set up I've had no issues whatsoever getting the installer to boot (no extra boot flags needed) it just always throws up the the "essentials.pkg" error during the install.

I'm now on my 4th download of Yosemite and have tried 3 different USB sticks so far...:(

I'm wondering if its possibly something to do with the size of the USB stick?
Seems to me like its trying to decompress the file and maybe running out of space on the USB drive...?
Similar to the recent issues some people experienced when trying to update to iOS8 on an almost full 16gb iPhone.

Has anyone with this problem tried a 16GB USB drive instead of an 8GB?
(I don't have a 16GB drive to test this myself)

I'm getting the same issues and my unibeast is on a 16 gb drive.

Same Error here. I am trying to update 10.9, but after a few minutes i get the "Essentials.pkg" Error. the -no-zp Flag doesn't work for me, too. Maybe it isn't upgradeable? only fresh install of OS X works? Poorly i have nothing for a TimeMachine Backup.

Ill try a fresh install on the USB stick with UniBeast. (8gb)

I have gotten the same error with fresh installs as well. I keep having to reinstall because something will go a miss with my multi beast or something. Normally my USB ports will crap out on me after running multi beast even if I don't use the generic 3.0 kext from them. So I am on my third instal (or trying to get back into it), and so far not getting anywhere.

It seems that my boot flags to get passed that point seem random and don't work the same over and over. Its to the point I can pretty much tell when i am going to get the error when he installer starts up. if it starts moving to quickly it will fail.

Edit: and I am trying again, that was a no go.

i just have used another USB-Port, a 2.0 instead of a 3.0. No Change.

Is there any Confirmation that the installer is working if doing a fresh install on the HDD (Format the HDD before install of OS X)??

I am having the same issue on Z97-A Haswell Refresh build. Works without any problems in Mavericks. So far i have tried these.

- Have tried booting with several different boot flags -> no luck
- Maxmem gives KP
- Have tried install it on 4 different SSD drives (2x Kingston 120GB V300 and 2x Samsung 120GB 840 EVO)
- Have tried 3 different USB sticks (2x 8GB and 16GB one)
- Have tried all USB ports in my mobo aswell

It just wont go past 10 min (goes between 11 and 10 then it gives Essentials.pkg error).

So, a fresh install with Unibeast 5.0.1 to a 8GB stick did it! i used another stick as before....

i think the stick was the fault, because i did everything as in my first attempt of installation with Unibeast.

Good Luck Guys!

So, a fresh install with Unibeast 5.0.1 to a 8GB stick did it! i used another stick as before....

i think the stick was the fault, because i did everything as in my first attempt of installation with Unibeast.

Good Luck Guys!

Hmmm, think I'm going to go out and buy a new stick and try that though I'm not holding out much hope.

The one I'm currently using had a Win7 installer on it before I wiped it, and has been used twice to install Windows and that's it. It really shouldn't have reached the end of its lifetime yet...

Anyway, thanks for the update and fingers crossed! :)

EDIT - Just to add to what others have said - I've been trying a fresh install every time onto a newly formatted 128GB Samsung 830 SSD.

I made the USB installation with GUID partition instead MBR and works for me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back