Contribute
Register

AMD vs Intel 2019 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the thing... The 10980XE IS Intel's bleeding edge. It's brand new. It's more expensive than AMD's offering. It needs more cores to compete with the 3950X.

Intel has no answer for the 3960X and 3970X.

$50 price drop.
View attachment 437878

I always am willing to pay more for consistency AMD has proven to me over the years they are inconsistent. Intel is not selling bleeding edge tech currently they are selling 4 year old tech and saying this is our new generation of our old stuff. No they do not have an answer for those CPU's but do they really need one is that market really that big to justify the existence?

Regarding the I did not in my last post the base model iPhone the XR is getting the discount the pro models are the same as last year.

I always am willing to pay more for consistency AMD has proven to me over the years they are inconsistent. Intel is not selling bleeding edge tech currently they are selling 4 year old tech and saying this is our new generation of our old stuff. No they do not have an answer for those CPU's but do they really need one is that market really that big to justify the existence?

Regarding the I did not in my last post the base model iPhone the XR is getting the discount the pro models are the same as last year.

Although the AMD consumer level CPUs don't destroy Intel as badly as on the HEDT level, they do have compelling CPUs that compete extremely well with Intel. Do a search for "i9-9900K vs Ryzen 9" and you will see how they compare. Also, PCI-e 4 and more PCI-e lanes are available while Intel still limits us to very few lanes.

No business wants to cut prices by 50% to remain competitive. Intel did it because they have no other alternative. I can't recall any other time Intel cut prices by 50%. They are not staying on 14nm++ because they believe it can remain competitive, it's because they don't have anything else to offer.

Since Intel had no answers for the Threadrippers, in October, they were forced to lower prices. Previously, their top of the line 18 core/36 thread CPU was priced at $1979 and they had to cut by 50% to compete.

Also, Intel still doesn't have PCI-e 4 while it's already widely available on AMD.

So now they are selling them for 250% profit since the RND is 4 years old instead of at 500% profit. Still a good profit margin. I am glad to see that someone is stepping up against intel after a decade, but let's see how long it lasts. I can not predict the future but I can look at the past to make an educated guess. You keep bringing up new tech AMD is using that intel is not and keep furthering my assertion that Intel is keeping up with old tech while AMD is using bleeding edge.

No business wants to cut prices by 50% to remain competitive. Intel did it because they have no other alternative. I can't recall any other time Intel cut prices by 50%. They are not staying on 14nm++ because they believe it can remain competitive, it's because they don't have anything else to offer.

Well if this is in fact true then it is good for everyone. It will either cause intel to innovate or their prices will become more competitive either way the consumers win. More cores less money!

So now they are selling them for 250% profit since the RND is 4 years old instead of at 500% profit. Still a good profit margin. I am glad to see that someone is stepping up against intel after a decade, but let's see how long it lasts. I can not predict the future but I can look at the past to make an educated guess. You keep bringing up new tech AMD is using that intel is not and keep furthering my assertion that Intel is keeping up with old tech while AMD is using bleeding edge.

Intel is not keeping up with PCI-e 4 with PCI-e 3. It's not by choice. They just don't have an answer.

Well if this is in fact true then it is good for everyone. It will either cause intel to innovate or their prices will become more competitive either way the consumers win. More cores less money!

It's definitely a good thing for consumers. Intel needs to get off their asses and get to innovating.

It's definitely a good thing for consumers. Intel needs to get off their asses and get to innovating.

I am still on Intels Team for CPU but I do not need huge processing power my 6/12 is plenty. Only time will tell if the server segment will buy into AMD but I bet the early adopters at the corporate level are given their new AMD hardware because the exposure far outweighs the cost.

I am still on Intels Team for CPU but I do not need huge processing power my 6/12 is plenty. Only time will tell if the server segment will buy into AMD but I bet the early adopters at the corporate level are given their new AMD hardware because the exposure far outweighs the cost.

On the server side:

This may have been true for the first gen Threadrippers but they have earned a reputation and are gaining ground. Why buy one when you can have two for the same price? This is the area where AMD is gaining marketshare where it had none. On the consumer side AMD is gaining ground from Intel especially in Europe where sales have overtaken Intel.

They are making better graphics cards with cutting edge tech like HBM memory, and the first 7nm tech but as with the CPUs they seem to miss the mark IMO. Nvidia kills it with 12nm, and Intel is still competitive with 14+++. This is sad because 7nm should be smoking the rest but it isn't.

AMD innovates and others take that tech to higher levels ie..X86 and Intel. Its good to have them back in a competitive mode which keeps prices down for everyone, but it would be better if they could hit a grand slam.

The 3950x is suffering from a lack of supply as the 3900x did. Its a good thing for them but it also hurts them to lose sales. I still see the 3900x in limited supplies at micro center. If they had more stock there would be more sales. I'm toying with picking up the 3900x or 3950x but I really don't need one for production or work use. It would just end up with my son for gaming and gabbing like my 2700x and Radeon Vii system, but at least id gets that back, lol.

I worry though for AMD that once Intel and Nvidia get 7nm it will be game over again for AMD. Like a 90 YD kickoff return down by 3 points and then spiking the ball at the 7 yard line and it rolls out of bounds with 0 seconds left on the clock. I can see it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back