Contribute
Register

AMD vs Intel 2019 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 3950x is suffering from a lack of supply as the 3900x did. Its a good thing for them but it also hurts them to lose sales. I still see the 3900x in limited supplies at micro center. If they had more stock there would be more sales. I'm toying with picking up the 3900x or 3950x but I really don't need one for production or work use. It would just end up with my son for gaming and gabbing like my 2700x and Radeon Vii system, but at least id gets that back, lol.

I worry though for AMD that once Intel and Nvidia get 7nm it will be game over again for AMD. Like a 90 YD kickoff return down by 3 points and then spiking the ball at the 7 yard line and it rolls out of bounds with 0 seconds left on the clock. I can see it now.

Yeah, I know they are having supply issues. Some retailers are even price gouging...

Yeah, I'm a little tempted to build a virtualization server based around a Ryzen 9 but I'm trying to watch my spending...

AMD innovates and others take that tech to higher levels ie..X86 and Intel. Its good to have them back in a competitive mode which keeps prices down for everyone, but it would be better if they could hit a grand slam.

I expect the next top of the line Navi GPU to make some really huge jumps in performance. There's been rumors that HBM may return. That's the GPU I'm waiting for.

This may have been true for the first gen Threadrippers but they have earned a reputation and are gaining ground. Why buy one when you can have two for the same price? This is the area where AMD is gaining marketshare where it had none. On the consumer side AMD is gaining ground from Intel especially in Europe where sales have overtaken Intel.

They are making better graphics cards with cutting edge tech like HBM memory, and the first 7nm tech but as with the CPUs they seem to miss the mark IMO. Nvidia kills it with 12nm, and Intel is still competitive with 14+++. This is sad because 7nm should be smoking the rest but it isn't.

AMD innovates and others take that tech to higher levels ie..X86 and Intel. Its good to have them back in a competitive mode which keeps prices down for everyone, but it would be better if they could hit a grand slam.

They are gaining ground because intel is letting them IMO, Pastry does not really agree with that assertion and say intel has nothing to battle with but what they already have. But I would be seriously surprised that when intel gets around to 10nm that it will not drop AMD like a bad habit. Intel is chilling right now IMO but shoot maybe I am wrong. History tells me that I am not though. I am not debating that they are gaining ground I am only saying if and when intel gets off the 14nm train the speed will be such an improvement for intel that they will crush AMD.

They are gaining ground because intel is letting them IMO, Pastry does not really agree with that assertion and say intel has nothing to battle with but what they already have. But I would be seriously surprised that when intel gets around to 10nm that it will not drop AMD like a bad habit. Intel is chilling right now IMO but shoot maybe I am wrong. History tells me that I am not though. I am not debating that they are gaining ground I am only saying if and when intel gets off the 14nm train the speed will be such an improvement for intel that they will crush AMD.

Why would they let a competitor gain ground??? That makes no sense!

The above happened before the latest Threadrippers and Ryzens were released. The situation has worsened for Intel since then.

Why would they let a competitor gain ground??? That makes no sense!

The above happened before the latest Threadrippers and Ryzens were released. The situation has worsened for Intel since then.

Let them gain ground spend on RND steal their RND do it better and win the war again. Part of winning a war sometimes requires that you allow the enemy to gain ground.

Last edited:
Yeah, I know they are having supply issues. Some retailers are even price gouging...

Yeah, I'm a little tempted to build a virtualization server based around a Ryzen 9 but I'm trying to watch my spending...

I expect the next top of the line Navi GPU to make some really huge jumps in performance. There's been rumors that HBM may return. That's the GPU I'm waiting for.

I was hopeful the Navi 12 would be out by now. That might be a 2080 competitor at least in windows but I’m sure Apple will dull it down a bit.

Let them gain ground spend on RND steal their RND do it better and win the war again. Part of winning a war sometimes requires that you allow the enemy to gain ground.

As far as I know, Intel has committed to "stacking":

Whereas AMD has gone to a "chiplet" design:

With the launch of the new ThreadRipper 3 CPU's AMD has processors that match and in most cases beat Intel by a large margin in all sectors, Desktop, Extreme Desktop, High End and Server.

More cores for less money with better features such as more PCIe lanes, PCIe V4 .. etc
One important factor to consider is that motherboards for AMD CPU's are cheaper than the equivalent Intel counterparts.

Intel currently has not got an answer .. just look at their latest ED CPU launch .. yet another X299 refresh based on Skylake .. how long can you flog a dead horse .... right now AMD has the high ground.

The only area where Intel beat AMD is in Single Core/Single Thread performance with the i9 9900 KS .. but these days that is not enough as just about all software (games included) have moved to multi-threaded architecture.

I still think Apple may well be looking at AMD TR 3 CPU's for some version of the new MacPro, there is high speculation that AMD will release a 64 core 128 thread, ThreadRipper 3 CPU early next year ... An Apple Mac Pro with that CPU would be un touchable using an Intel CPU .. Apple could still charge the same but increase their profits as TR 3 is half the price of equivalent Intel parts ... more so given Apples buying power with AMD.

It would make sense as PCIe V4 would really allow the new MacPro to stretch those fancy new dual Vega GPU's, add in RAID 0 PCIe V4 NVMe SSD's and it will be one hell of a system ... that Intel parts would have no answer to.

I wondered why the new MacPro has been delayed for so long since it was announced ... maybe Apple where waiting for the new AMD ThreadRippers ... probably not but it is a possibility ...

Just my two cents ...

Cheers
Jay

With the launch of the new ThreadRipper 3 CPU's AMD has processors that match and in most cases beat Intel by a large margin in all sectors, Desktop, Extreme Desktop, High End and Server.

More cores for less money with better features such as more PCIe lanes, PCIe V4 .. etc
One important factor to consider is that motherboards for AMD CPU's are cheaper than the equivalent Intel counterparts.

Intel currently has not got an answer .. just look at their latest ED CPU launch .. yet another X299 refresh based on Skylake .. how long can you flog a dead horse .... right now AMD has the high ground.

The only area where Intel beat AMD is in Single Core/Single Thread performance with the i9 9900 KS .. but these days that is not enough as just about all software (games included) have moved to multi-threaded architecture.

I still think Apple may well be looking at AMD TR 3 CPU's for some version of the new MacPro, there is high speculation that AMD will release a 64 core 128 thread, ThreadRipper 3 CPU early next year ... An Apple Mac Pro with that CPU would be un touchable using an Intel CPU .. Apple could still charge the same but increase their profits as TR 3 is half the price of equivalent Intel parts ... more so given Apples buying power with AMD.

It would make sense as PCIe V4 would really allow the new MacPro to stretch those fancy new dual Vega GPU's, add in RAID 0 PCIe V4 NVMe SSD's and it will be one hell of a system ... that Intel parts would have no answer to.

I wondered why the new MacPro has been delayed for so long since it was announced ... maybe Apple where waiting for the new AMD ThreadRippers ... probably not but it is a possibility ...

Just my two cents ...

Cheers
Jay

AMD has even caught up on single core performance. The disparity in performance between AMD CPUs and Intel CPUs makes it impossible for PC makers to ignore AMD any longer. Apple included.

It will be difficult for marketing to taught the Mac Pro's performance when AMD systems can easily dwarf them.

I'd also really like to see Apple use some AMD mobile CPUs to produce sub-$1000 laptops to address the education market. Apple's current offerings price out a lot of kids.

The disparity in performance between AMD CPUs and Intel CPUs makes it impossible for PC makers to ignore AMD any longer. Apple included.

@pastrychef,

I completely agree AMD's CPU (and GPU) launches in 2019 have been the most exciting and refreshing thing that has happened in computing in the last five years.

It will be difficult for marketing to taught the Mac Pro's performance when AMD systems can easily dwarf them.

Indeed ...if Apple want to push the new MacPro as the ultimate high end work station then it's hard to imagine them not considering AMD's new TR 3 CPU's or even possibly AMD Epyc CPU's.

Given the close working relationship Apple have with AMD i'm surprised it hasn't occurred already, although to be fair Apple did not really have a need to switch. But with the New MacPro AMD's TR 3 seems like a match made in heaven, more cores, better performance and PCIe V4 ... AMD TR 3 is exactly what Apple need ... and all the while increasing their profit margins on what is going to be a fairly niche product.

I'd also really like to see Apple use some AMD mobile CPUs to produce sub-$1000 laptops to address the education market. Apple's current offerings price out a lot of kids.

Microsoft recently launched a new Surface Book with AMD Ryzen 3 5 CPU's with intergraded Vega 9 or Vega 11 GPU, at its price point its a very compelling product .. the CPU out performs the similarly spec'd Intel version and of course the Vega GPU trashes the intel IGPU.

Releasing a AMD Ryzen CPU based MacBook (non pro ?) would open the lower end of the laptop market to Apple, getting kids and students into the Apple Mac eco system while still at school ... so it makes a lot of sense.

I guess time will tell ... Apple have enough money to do what ever they want.

Cheers
Jay

As far as I know, Intel has committed to "stacking":

Whereas AMD has gone to a "chiplet" design:

Nvidia is talking about 7nm multi chiplet design GPUs coming out next year. They say they are solving the multi core GPU/software issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back