Contribute
Register

AMD RX550 cant install

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm very sorry, I made a mistake. The macOS shows me this GPU like 4GB, but this is 2GB.
Gigabyte GV-RX550D5-2GD rev. 1.0

I am very grateful for the hints and once again I apologize for the mistake in the first post.

Can you recommend some cheap graphics which will work by default? It is intended only for displaying a music program, not for games or other more demanding work.

Hi there

Depending on how much you want to spend there are probably three options:

1) The RX560 and RX570 are known to work with minimal tweaking, just standard configuration. As the RX560 is no longer being pushed by the big companies they are harder to find new, and second-hand ones are holding their value.

2) You could still find an older Nvidia card, as long as it is one of the natvely supported models. However bear in mind these may lose support from macOS 10.16.0. We don't know for sure yet. Obviously these are usually on the second-hand market. Check out this list:

3) Otherwise, as your RX550 is by Gigabyte it is well-made and might be worth persisting with, given your usage scenario. Try as @Gigamaxx suggested and use a fake ID if necessary. It may well be that as a Lexa core it will be tricky to fool into working, but if you don't want to spend more money, costs nothing to try.

@Gigamaxx shows you an easier method for injecting the Device ID than the original poster, in his post.

Out of interest take a look here at what the OP did to fake the Device ID:

g.jpg

Not so straight-forward, but educational. That is what Hackintoshing is all about :thumbup:

Last edited:
There seems to be mixed results. Sapphire also made a cut down Polaris card but others are reporting the Lexa working. Initially Apple didn’t support it but I believe the device ID is in the Kexts now. But, there may be vbios issues depending on brand.

I tried use exactly this thread, but I have problem with it. I will try to do it again

Thanks!

Can you recommend some cheap graphics which will work by default? It is intended only for displaying a music program, not for games or other more demanding work.
The DDR3 versions of the GT 710 will work for basic graphics. We don't know if 10.16 will have support for it but it works in Mojave and Catalina now if you plan on using either of those longer term. EDIT: Looks like the 2nd Gen Kepler 700 series cards will still have support in Big Sur 11.0 ! After that, it's likely they'll get dropped and only AMD graphics or Intel igfx will work.

Last edited:
unfortunately without success :(

What do you think about:
AMD Radeon RX480 PowerColor Red Devil 8GB 256bit
or
Radeon RX 570 ASUS Expedition 4GB OC

- the price is equal with RX560.

?

Attachments

• config.plist
    9.2 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
When I tried to install RX550 and I don't know what I exactly changed but my backup (which normally work) and current file config.plst stopped working.

I got an error:
Error allocating 0x12b50 pages at 0x0000000004aa3000 alloc type 2

Does anyone have some tips for it?

When I tried to install RX550 and I don't know what I exactly changed but my backup (which normally work) and current file config.plst stopped working.

I got an error:
Error allocating 0x12b50 pages at 0x0000000004aa3000 alloc type 2

Does anyone have some tips for it?
Solved - BIOS required flashing again. I don't know why ... But I couldn't load the Windows installer either

unfortunately without success :(

What do you think about:
AMD Radeon RX480 PowerColor Red Devil 8GB 256bit
or
Radeon RX 570 ASUS Expedition 4GB OC

- the price is equal with RX560.

?
Red Devil!

Just a quick story: I bought 4 Yeston RX550 4GB cards. 2 of the cards were proper Polaris while the other 2 appeared to be something else (I assume Lexa) with lower memory speeds. macOS worked fine with the proper Polaris cards while the others would not function with macOS. It's a big gamble to trust these discount cards.

Just a quick story: I bought 4 Yeston RX550 4GB cards. 2 of the cards were proper Polaris while the other 2 appeared to be something else (I assume Lexa) with lower memory speeds.
Were these all from different sellers ? Which sellers sold the Polaris versions ?

Sounds like they are intending to sell them for Windows use only. Then it makes no difference whether they Lexa or Polaris cores inside. Either will work for basic gaming in Windows 10.

I was able to get my RX550 2GB Lexa based card working on Big Sur. I had to use fake device-id from Buffin.
My card is lexa based too i cant make it work, can u share your efi folder pls? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back