Contribute
Register

AMD RX480 - Sierra 10.12.6 (almost) working out of the box

Status
Not open for further replies.
First poster here.

Did a fresh install of Sierra 10.12.6 Using an external USB Disk via Unibeast.

The AMD RX 480 works out of the box albeit with some caveats:

1. Need to select internal GPU (IGPU) in Motherboard settings/BIOS. Will not work with Initial graphics from PEG.
2. HDMI cable must be connected to the RX480 (PEG), from power on.
3. Because of above issues, no monitor/display until midway through boot, until MacOS takes over the Graphics.

My question is if anyone knows of a workaround or solution to the above issue?
I have a dual boot system, being able to see the clover boot screen would be amazing.

System Specs:

MSI H110I PRO Motherboard (100 Series)
Intel i5 6500 CPU (Skylake)
AMD RX 480 8GB GPU (Sapphire Nitro)
8GB DDR4 2133 Memory (Kingston HyperX Fury)

If you're interested in a full explanation of how I got this system working (Sound, IGPU, USB3.0 etc.) let me know, happy to write it up.

Would like to thank the forums for all the invaluable information!

----
UPDATE: Explanation of how I got this system working

Installed using Unibeast Software.
Then used Multibeast to install the boot loader to my Hard Drive.
Certain features/drivers needed to be added later (using Multibeast) to support all the features of the motherboard (MSI H110I PRO):

In Multibeast enable:

Audio: VoodooHDA - Realtek ALC887 driver was not working for some reason. VoodooHDA solves this.
Network: RealtekRTL8111 - Motherboard's Ethernet
USB: Increase Max Port Limit 100 Series - This also enables USB2.0 + USB3.0 support (MSI H110I PRO is a 100 Series)
Video: Intel HD 5xx - to enable the IGPU of the CPU (Intel i5 6500 "Skylake" HD 530 Graphics)

Later installed Clover configurator to customise my bootloader - Clover Configurator has little to no documentation. there are however a couple YouTube video available where some dude explains a lot of the functions.

Last edited:
Good to hear you've got some early success there. My experiences vary from you, but I've got also a working RX480.

My Asus RX480 8gb doesn't need to have HDMI connected from get go nor bios se to primary onboard graphics. It boots just fine even if I dont have any cable connected during boot and connect it just for login screen. Problem I've got is that my Displayports are not working, and I'd like to use 'em more than HDMI, cause they work exactly I like 'em to on Windows side with my 1 widescreen display at office + TV on living room configuration.

I copied Lilu and Whatevergreen kexts to Clover efi etc. and it was all what was needed.

For me Motherboard Asus Z170 Pro Gaming with graphic card MSI Radeon RX 470 to log in with graphic acceleration using lily und whatevergreen kext on OS X 10.12.6. Just a black screen appears after a while of booting.

With graphics-injector and fakeid 0x12345678 log in is possible, but then there is no graphic acceleration.

For me Motherboard Asus Z170 Pro Gaming with graphic card MSI Radeon RX 470 to log in with graphic acceleration using lily und whatevergreen kext on OS X 10.12.6. Just a black screen appears after a while of booting.

With graphics-injector and fakeid 0x12345678 log in is possible, but then there is no graphic acceleration.
I added Lilu and Whatevergreen kexts by hand to clover AND also installed 'em with kextbeast. Then it took around 3 minutes to boot up for first time, and by even then it decided to not use Displayport, which was the only port connected.

So:
- Wait a while longer while waiting for login screen.
- Try different video outputs on your video card.

AND also installed 'em

What do you mean with "'em" and in which folder to install (S/L/E or L/E)? Ahhh...ok understand, AND installed them ...ok in SLE...

------------

Ok, I tried it ...no success ...copied Lilu and Whatevergreen.kext with kextbeast to SLE. Controlled folder, kext files were copied to that folder. Restarted and booted up again, black screen ...waited for 5 minutes or more, nothing happened...switched cable to the 2nd hdmi pcie port ...the same ....just a black screen ... I am so disappointed about that, can't use FCP or play mkv-videos :( No-one could help me till then.

Is there a comparable graphic card which is 100% working with this motherboard using OSX 10.12.6?

Last edited:
Lilu (consists of two files) and Whatevergreen, they should go in the kext folder of you clover installation.
for me this was in my efi partition: /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/other/
the "other" folder is loaded for all versions of Mac OS X. you may decide to place it in your system version's folder in case you decide to upgrade later and am not sure whether the kexts are compatible.

Hello! I have same configuration: Asus z170 + MSI Gaming 470 x. Have you able to fully run the graphics card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back