Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> AMD Radeon RX5700 or 5700XT

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to get my 5700 XT running with Catalina and getting no love whatsoever.

I have an old GTX 760 lying around, so I used that to upgrade to Catalina and make sure everything was running smoothly, but when I swap in the 5700 I get a gIOScreenLockState error and can't boot.

I'm on Catalina 10.15.3 and am using the latest version of Clover, Lilu, and Whatevergreen. I've tried it with and without the adgpmod=pikera boot arg. I've used older versions of the kexts. I've tried other people's config.plist and EFI folders. I've tweaked the BIOS settings. I've tried different system definitions in the SMBIOS settings. I've done everything I could think of. Other people with similar hardware seem to have been able to get it working, so it must be possible, I just don't know what to even try anymore.

Anyone have any ideas?

Links:
config.plist
EFI Folder

I'm trying to get my 5700 XT running with Catalina and getting no love whatsoever.

I have an old GTX 760 lying around, so I used that to upgrade to Catalina and make sure everything was running smoothly, but when I swap in the 5700 I get a gIOScreenLockState error and can't boot.

I'm on Catalina 10.15.3 and am using the latest version of Clover, Lilu, and Whatevergreen. I've tried it with and without the adgpmod=pikera boot arg. I've used older versions of the kexts. I've tried other people's config.plist and EFI folders. I've tweaked the BIOS settings. I've tried different system definitions in the SMBIOS settings. I've done everything I could think of. Other people with similar hardware seem to have been able to get it working, so it must be possible, I just don't know what to even try anymore.

Anyone have any ideas?

Links:
config.plist
EFI Folder

I have the same graphics card and it's working, but with a different iGPU
I'm fairly a novice, but there may be issues with the iGPU. Also looking at your config.plist there's no board serial number, and other items missing from the SMBIOS section.

I've also tried disabling the iGPU in the BIOS, so I doubt that's it.

I edited my details out of the config.plist before uploading it. I have a working serial, etc. Like I said, Catalina is working fine with my other GPU. I'm using it right now, in fact.

Anyone have any ideas?

Links:
config.plist
EFI Folder

I saw your config, I found something different from my config.

"inject Intel" enabled
SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 (i saw that recommended for this card.)

and on my motherboard BIOS setting,
if disabled internal graphic, could not boot.

the setting is internal graphic enabled but OS is working fine with AMD card.

i am not sure it works for you but hope it helps.

Code:
    <key>Graphics</key>
    <dict>
        <key>Inject</key>
        <dict>
            <key>ATI</key>
            <false/>
            <key>Intel</key>
            <false/>
            <key>NVidia</key>
            <false/>
        </dict>
    </dict>
Inject Intel isn't enabled... AppleIntelCPUPM is under the Kernel and Kext Patches section, if that's what you mean. That has nothing to do with graphics, though.

I've tried it with the IGPU enabled and disabled. Same problem.

I've tried a number of different definitions... I suppose I'll give iMacPro1,1 a shot too, but it's quite different from my hardware, so I'm a bit worried on the off chance it does actually work there will be a lot of other problems.

edit: Unsurprisingly, the iMac Pro definition didn't work either. It did manage to disable the DisplayPort port on my GTX 760, though. *shrug*

Last edited:

Anyone have any ideas?

Links:
config.plist
EFI Folder

Try your config with this modified efi, let me now if work correctly

Attachments

• EFI_RX5700.zip
    3.3 MB · Views: 312
yes...as you say update to 10.15.2 needed. now shows GPU name correctly on system profile! thanks :)
Could you share your Clover folder it did not work on the one you shared before? I have a near-identical setup to you and I cannot for the life of me get my RX 5700 to work.

Question in regards to using the AMD 5700 XT with an OS that doesn't have native drivers for it (say 10.13 or 10.14).
Would there be actually something displayed on screen (like Windows would if there wasn't any drivers installed, setting the system in VGA mode only).

While my mac has 10.15.3 installed, I do have to use macos 10.13 from time to time; but those tasks do no involve any graphic work.

Thanks
JY

Yesterday I bought Sapphire Nitro+ RX 5700 XT Special Edition and Installing on Catalina 10.15.3
Everything is fine, but sometimes it goes screen after an hour working
The screen is not completely black, But nothing is displayed

Use Whatever Green kext 1.3.6 and Lilu 1.4.1

Any Idea?

Thanks

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back