Contribute
Register

AMD R9 290X on Yosemite

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do have a monitor with dual-link DVI (2560x1440) that I can test it with tomorrow.

It worked. At least, it did until I plugged in a second monitor to the other, single-link DVI port on my card. That caused a crash. YMMV.

Many real Mac owners are having various graphics issues since updating to 10.10. 10.11 should fix it. I'm using R9 290 and it worked great in 10.10 with Ironslug's modified kexts. The problem I had was using migration assistant to import all my programmes and docs from Mavericks from a time machine backup.

I checked the Mac forums and a few people who did a clean install were having trouble with restoring their info after the update to Yosemite.

I'm going back to Mavericks until 10.11. But it was good to know the R9 290 is a goer in Yosemite.

does anybody have any information about the 295x2?

I use my hackintosh only for Davinci Resolve editing and grading for Canon Magic Lantern RAW´s. Currently i have a 770 4gb gigabyte but i only reach about 20 fps without color correction...

Was hoping and waiting for the 295x2 become useable in Yosemite to have D700 like performance with the 8Gb of Vram? And with a price of about 900$ it becomes really attractive i would say?!?!

Many real Mac owners are having various graphics issues since updating to 10.10. 10.11 should fix it. I'm using R9 290 and it worked great in 10.10 with Ironslug's modified kexts. The problem I had was using migration assistant to import all my programmes and docs from Mavericks from a time machine backup.

I checked the Mac forums and a few people who did a clean install were having trouble with restoring their info after the update to Yosemite.

I'm going back to Mavericks until 10.11. But it was good to know the R9 290 is a goer in Yosemite.

Off topic

10.11 ??? Do you want to omit Yosemite?

I am using the Gigabyte Radeon R9 270X with one monitor. Works ootb. Two monitors not tested.
It is recognized as an AMD Radeon HD 7xxx 2048 MB graphics card.

does anybody have any information about the 295x2?

I use my hackintosh only for Davinci Resolve editing and grading for Canon Magic Lantern RAW´s. Currently i have a 770 4gb gigabyte but i only reach about 20 fps without color correction...

Was hoping and waiting for the 295x2 become useable in Yosemite to have D700 like performance with the 8Gb of Vram? And with a price of about 900$ it becomes really attractive i would say?!?!

I'm not sure it would work like that. The 295x2 is just a crossfire version of the 290/290x at different clock speeds, on a single card, with different cooling. The 8GB is a misnomer-- it's really just 2x 290 4GB. So you can't load 8gb of stuff into the VRAM... you load the same 4GB twice so the cards can work in concert on the same data. That's how crossfire/SLI has always worked. The VRAM isn't additive in the sense that you can load 8GB of unique data... you add the same 4GB twice/in parallel.

That said, there are 8GB 290x cards coming. Conceivably you could buy two of these at around the price of a single 295x2, and you'd get the full 8GB (twice). And if your cooling/PSU is up to it, those individual 290x cards will probably be running at higher frequencies to the slightly down-clocked 295x.

I'm using display port and no flicking. Just switch on and all working. But not dual monitors.

Hi about 4k monitor? I'm thinking about buying this beast http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1838713 and I would like to know, if someone has 4k display with this graphic card connected via DP.

I don't think anyone has tested the DisplayPort 1.2 support yet. But DisplayPort is what Apple uses, so I'd be surprised if it didn't work. Try it out, and report back here! Be sure to check that you're getting 60 Hz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back