Contribute
Register

ALC888 32/64-bit AppleHDA.kext (10.6.3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: New ALC888 32/64-bit AppleHDA.kext!

Ok, I will try and clarify some issues.
- This kext is tested for ALC888, not ALC888b. Not saying it won't work with others, just that I have no access to the other variants.
- HDAenabler.kext is actually bundled into the AppleHDA.kext. To remove it simply show package contents Contents/PlugIns. I labelled it red for easy recognition. I also labelled the AppleHDA.kext red as well for the same reason.
- The reason I recommend manually removing AppleHDA and HDAenabler kexts is that often Kext Utility will only overwrite the files that need to change to reflect the Kext that it's changing to. (ie if HDAenebler is bundled into my AppleHDA.kext it will remain in plugins, even if you use Tony's 10.6.2 AppleHDA easy installer). Removing these Kexts manually then dragging the new Kext onto Kext Utility to install, is just a little safer. And yes, set and repair permissions after any Kext install. Again this is just playing it safe. Booting -v -f -r also sometimes resolves issues.
- The version of your BIOS may prevent things from working correctly as well.

With regards to the "hardware sound ok but no sound coming out of speakers" issue.

I've had this too and was very confused. Two things:

1) Open System Preferences -> Sound. In the first tab there'll be a drop down menu titled "Play sound effects through:"; in my case this was set to "Selected output device" change that to internal speakers or headphones depending on the audio slot you've inserted your speakers' jack in. Also move on to the Output tab and select a device for output sound.

2) If that does not fix it then do the following. Get on youtube and play a random video. Naturally you'll have no sound. What I did was I went on the back of my pc tower and tried the speakers' jack into all different audio card slots. I found one that actually gives sound. This is how I fixed it. It seams that the osx sound drivers divert sound to an audio card port that is different from windows.

Hope it helps.

khushiyal said:
chico_stang said:
khushiyal said:
Well, I have a strange problem - installed the kext exactly as mentioned. And now system profiler shows perfect HDA configuration, sound is enabled in Preferences BUT no actual sound output!!!

Anyone else having this issue?

Yep. I have the same problem. System Profiler shows everything, as well as System Preferences, but there is no sound (volume icon is grayed out). For now I went back to VoodooHDA which works well, although does not show correct info in System Profiler ("No Built In Audio").

@Chico_stang - well, the difference is that my volume icon is enabled!!! And yet no sound... cant be hardware since it works fine under Ubuntu & Win7!

Hi I followed your instructions but still no sound, the only change is that I now lost my USB keyboard and mouse :banghead: The only way to get keyboard and mouse to work is to use iBoot as boot disc and with that of course I get sound too.

So I have two options as I see it, keep booting with iBoot and have usb and sound or trying to fix these issues, any suggestions how to fix this?

Cheers

Bansaku said:
HDAenabler.kext is actually bundled into the AppleHDA.kext. To remove it simply show package contents Contents/PlugIns. I labelled it red for easy recognition. I also labelled the AppleHDA.kext red as well for the same reason.

Do I need to remove HDAEnabler then? I installed as-is but got no sound output. If I get rid of HDAEnabler, will it work or is it necessary? By the way, I am talking about the HDAEnabler included into AppleHDA, like you just mentioned.

pederb said:
Hi I followed your instructions but still no sound, the only change is that I now lost my USB keyboard and mouse :banghead: The only way to get keyboard and mouse to work is to use iBoot as boot disc and with that of course I get sound too.

So I have two options as I see it, keep booting with iBoot and have usb and sound or trying to fix these issues, any suggestions how to fix this?

Cheers

Well I was able to fix both my USB and Boot problem, but still no sound w/o using the Booth disc?

Cheers

ALC888 - FINALLY GOT IT TO WORK! I've had all sorts of problems that have been posted here, like seeing audio in system profiler but no sound in the system prefs, etc. Here is what I did to get it to work.

1.Go into Terminal
2.Delete all VoodooHDA.kext, LegacyHDA.kext, AppleHDA.kext, and HDAEnabler.kext from both Extras folder and System\Library\Extensions
3.Download attached AppleHDA.kext* and HDAEnabler.kext
4.Install both kexts by dragging them into Kext Utility (google for it if you don't have it).
5. reboot

*This is Tony's AppleHDA.kext modified w/out the AppleHDA.kext inside of it.

Hope this helps, worked for me!

Attachments

• AppleHDA.kext.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 245
  • HDAEnabler.kext.zip
    23.8 KB · Views: 228

@dpazdan - got KP when I used your kexts. Had to switch back to bansaku's!

@invisiblesurfer - I have tried all ports - nothing works... *sigh* will check my pin configs when I have more time!

For those who want to do this I just wanted to chime in as Devil's Advocate:

If you overwrite the AppleHDA of 10.6.3 you are no longer "Vanilla" even if you're using 10.6.2 AppleHDA since it was rewritten at the binary level. Since audio has dependencies you are risking all sorts of problems. I learned this after changing two digits in my Yukon2 binary in IONetworkingFamily.kext and my mouse and keyboard buttons stopped working completely.

While imperfect, Voodoo is technically just a plug-in and doesn't risk destabilizing your system like messing with system kexts would do.

I found a great app to keep audio after your system sleeps with voodoo since we all know how voodoo typically breaks when you sleep the system:

http://www.northernsoftworks.com/lightsout.html

It's a free trial but it's like $10 - show the developer some Hackintosh community love so he keeps it updated for us if you find it to be useful to solve this problem.

On the other hand if you are using a system with the 899a codec like I'm trying to configure now, I'm still working on this fix also (but with the 10.6.3 AppleHDA) :)

FatShenanigans said:

If you overwrite the AppleHDA of 10.6.3 you are no longer "Vanilla" even if you're using 10.6.2 AppleHDA since it was rewritten at the binary level. Since audio has dependencies you are risking all sorts of problems. I learned this after changing two digits in my Yukon2 binary in IONetworkingFamily.kext and my mouse and keyboard buttons stopped working completely.

So very true. One can easily mess things up just by entering just 1 digit. That's why myself never post "How to do it yourself" guides. In regards to my work, I never post anything that is still a work in progress, and never ask for testers. I am simply sharing with the community my work.
If I post anything, one can be assured that I have put it through all the tests needed to ensure it's 100% stable for my system specs, which in turn should work for others that have same, or even similar chipsets. ie. My friend's Hackintosh is an older AMD system which happens to use ALC888 sound like my P55-UD3R and likewise, my AppleHDA.kext works without any snags.
Simply put, I am giving people another option. Myself I cannot get LegacyHDA to work. Lord knows I have tried and have given up, hence why I am using what I use now. I know sometimes it may not always be 100% Vanilla, but if it works, yay! If not, that's what this awesome community is for. :)

Bansaku said:
FatShenanigans said:

So very true. One can easily mess things up just by entering just 1 digit. That's why myself never post "How to do it yourself" guides. In regards to my work, I never post anything that is still a work in progress, and never ask for testers. I am simply sharing with the community my work.
If I post anything, one can be assured that I have put it through all the tests needed to ensure it's 100% stable for my system specs, which in turn should work for others that have same, or even similar chipsets. ie. My friend's Hackintosh is an older AMD system which happens to use ALC888 sound like my P55-UD3R and likewise, my AppleHDA.kext works without any snags.
Simply put, I am giving people another option. Myself I cannot get LegacyHDA to work. Lord knows I have tried and have given up, hence why I am using what I use now. I know sometimes it may not always be 100% Vanilla, but if it works, yay! If not, that's what this awesome community is for. :)

I always say- whatever works! And this appears to work very well!

I'm a fan of LegacyHDA, because it's always worked so well. in 10.6.3, 888/888b/889 are going to have to figure something out long term- rolling back to 10.6.2 AppleHDA and continuing out current LegacyHDA solutions is fine, but it is no more vanilla than replacing your AppleHDA.

This is a strange time for audio- we'll probably come up with a plethora of solutions. The more the better I say. :mrgreen:

Regarding releases- that's a good way to be- I think I could learn a thing or two from following your advice... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back