Graphics
RX 560
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi !

After being really happy with my mHack, I think of building a little media center. So I come for advice :)

My main concerns are to keep it small, quiet, with low power consumption and sleep/wake functioning properly (as it will almost never be shut down). It will be use to store & play music over itunes, and movies with VLC. It will be plug over HDMI to my TV, and for the sound to my HIFI system. I will use teamviewer to control it, and Bluetooth keyboard/mouse when needed for heavier tasks (like maintenance).

So after some thought, here is what I think could do it :

Case : SilverStone SST-ML08B

CPU : Core i3-6320
is the built-in graphic is sufficient to flawlessly display any 1080p movies ?

CPU cooler : Silverstone AR06
I'd like a quieter one but can't seem to find one with the case specification, any idea ? Or is it silent enough ?

Power supply : be quiet! SFX Power 2 400W
I think 400w is largely sufficient as I don't plan on a graphic card, am I right ?

Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170N-Gaming 5

RAM : Crucial Ballistix Sport LT (8GB)
Is one memory stick will work ? I thought you needed those by pair, but I can be wrong. 8 GB will be more than enough, right ?

HD will be an old Samsung 840 EVO 250Gb & a 3.5 HD 3TO to stock music & movies. I don't need a DVD drive as DVDs/blueray will be played on the internet box, and CDs will be ripped on my main computer.

I don't think I need WIFI as it will be plugged into the internet box over ethernet, but I need Bluetooth. Any advice on this ? If I want to, does the case accept PCI wifi/bluetooth card or is it too small ?

Thanks for any insight !

Case : SilverStone SST-ML08B

CPU : Core i3-6320
is the built-in graphic is sufficient to flawlessly display any 1080p movies ?
More than enough

CPU cooler : Silverstone AR06
I'd like a quieter one but can't seem to find one with the case specification, any idea ? Or is it silent enough ?
Check http://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-cooler-retail
A i3-6320 is not gonna produce much heat to begin with so ...

Power supply : be quiet! SFX Power 2 400W
I think 400w is largely sufficient as I don't plan on a graphic card, am I right ?
Yes, 400W is overkill, yoour powerdraw should be about 140W .. a 200W PSU could be sufficient, 250W if you are looking for headroom, 300W if you want have the option to add a very nice GPU for games.

Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170N-Gaming 5
Overkill, this is an overclokcable motherboard..wasting money... I would use Gigabyte GA-H170N-WIFI or any H170 in the buyers guide that meets your audio requirements

RAM : Crucial Ballistix Sport LT (8GB)
Is one memory stick will work ? I thought you needed those by pair, but I can be wrong. 8 GB will be more than enough, right ?
8GB is enough for what you want to do with it, 2x4GB will perform better then a single 8GB stick. That being said, it will perform better with 16GB (2x8GB) has there will be more memory to preload the movies. I would go for 16GB for the added performance and to ensure that a OS upgrade would not throw the build into oblivion.

but I need Bluetooth.
You can use a USB IOGear Bluetooth 4.0 Adapter

Last edited:
Check http://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-cooler-retail
A i3-6320 is not gonna produce much heat to begin with so ...

OK, thanks, as the case only allow less than 60mm, I think this one http://noctua.at/fr/products/cpu-cooler-retail/nh-l9i/specification

Yes, 400W is overkill, yoour powerdraw should be about 140W .. a 200W PSU could be sufficient, 250W if you are looking for headroom, 300W if you want have the option to add a very nice GPU for games.

I don't think I will game with it, and the GPU space will be used by an HD 3.5, but ... so I will take the same one but 300w ( http://www.bequiet.com/en/powersupply/494)

Overkill, this is an overclokcable motherboard..wasting money... I would use Gigabyte GA-H170N-WIFI or any H170 in the buyers guide that meets your audio requirements

Dammit, I thought the only difference was the WIFI, that is not recognized by os X, that's why I took the gaming, but there's almost 40€ less on the WIFI one so, yes, I will choose the WIFI version ! But why the H170 instead of Z170 ?

8GB is enough for what you want to do with it, 2x4GB will perform better then a single 8GB stick. That being said, it will perform better with 16GB (2x8GB) has there will be more memory to preload the movies. I would go for 16GB for the added performance and to ensure that a OS upgrade would not throw the build into oblivion.

OK, so 2x8GB is the way to go. It's not what cost most so I will go for that.

You can use a USB IOGear Bluetooth 4.0 Adapter

Is the Bluetooth on the MoBo recognized by os X or the dongle is really the way to go ?

Thanks A LOT for your time

[edit] incorrect comment about Mobo Price

Last edited:
But why the H170 instead of Z170
$$$.. the only meaningful difference is that a Z170 enables you to overclock if you have a CPU that can be overclocked ... i3 can't so ...that money will be better spent elsewhere
Is the Bluetooth on the MoBo recognized by os X or the dongle is really the way to go ?
CORRECTION BLUETOOTH ON THE MOTHERBOARD WILL WORK, WIFI WILL NOT.

You could also consider Silverstone own SFX PSU but make sure you get a v2.0

Last edited:
OK, thanks a lot ! I thought the overclock stuff was between gaming and wifi version, but it's between H & Z instead ! But why the WIFI version as WIFI is not recognized by os X ?

For the Silverstone PSU, I've seen it was a bit louder, that's why I went for another brand, but I can be wrong.

Thanks again for your time, really appreciate !

But why the WIFI version as WIFI is not recognized by os X ?
Because Gigabyte doesn't use the same chips Apple uses

For the Silverstone PSU, I've seen it was a bit louder, that's why I went for another brand, but I can be wrong.
I was a possibility, you looked into it; that is good

Because Gigabyte doesn't use the same chips Apple uses
Sorry, I didn't explain myself well enough :). I was wondering why we would use WIFI version instead of gaming ones, as the WIFI is not recognized by os X :). I know that Apple use specific chips for WIFI, I have a really nice PCI card in my mHack for WIFI & continuity & handsoff :)

Hey !

Just an update as I start my order to build my mediacenter. The motherboard in H version seems to only recognise RAM at 2133 Mhz max, and the Z version is able to recognise 3200 Mhz. As the RAM is 2400mhz, seems more interesting to go for the Z in the end (if I'm correct !), and there's only 15 euro between the two (again, if I'm correct).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back