Contribute
Register

Advice direct update from Sierra(10.12.6) to Big Sur/Catalina

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now Since I can access Terminal. Is it good idea to delete all EFI CLOVER data and just copy the OC installer EFI folder to OSX SSD EFI and reboot ? Will that work? On reboot should I choose OC USB Installer again?
sounds like a bad idea

setup an opencore usb installer correctly, boot from that, install macOS, keep booting from your opencore usb installer until you get to the desktop

mount efi from hard drive, remove any contents

copy efi folder from efi partition from usb to hard drive efi partition

Okay I will try to make a fresh OC USB installer either using Catalina or Big Sur. Do you know if at the installation screen should I use the Diskutlity to format my SSD to APFS explicitly or can continue I installtation like did last time without loosing Data?

Okay I will try to make a fresh OC USB installer either using Catalina or Big Sur. Do you know if at the installation screen should I use the Diskutlity to format my SSD to APFS explicitly or can continue I installtation like did last time without loosing Data?
it will automatically convert the partition to APFS

best to do Catalina first, then do:
and when that is done correctly, then you can upgrade to Big Sur / Monterey

it will automatically convert the partition to APFS

best to do Catalina first, then do:
and when that is done correctly, then you can upgrade to Big Sur / Monterey
Any particular version of Catalina?

I generated my Serials using genSMBIOS with imac18,3. The EFI folders from some Z170i users use imac17,1 So if use their EFI setup should I change the 17,1 to 18,3? does SystemProductName variable matter ? also ROM?

Any particular version of Catalina?

I generated my Serials using genSMBIOS with imac18,3. The EFI folders from some Z170i users use imac17,1 So if use their EFI setup should I change the 17,1 to 18,3? does SystemProductName variable matter ? also ROM?
latest version

your hardware is skylake so iMac17,1

also update your hardware profile please

Graphics should say:
Intel HD530

Using Munkis Script I downloaded both Catalina 10.15.7 and Big sur 11.6.2.
1. I hoped starting fresh using the latest OC version and creating an installer with standard settings would be enough to get the install done rather than copying someones setup not knowing what all the fuzz is about. I messed up somewhere which I still dont know exactly where. So I am afraid this time again.

2. Which OC version to use for Catalina?
2.1 Debug or Release? Does Release version with Boot argument -v suffice for most debugging?

3. To get new Serials now for iMAC17,1 do I need to run genSMBIOS from final system or can I use any?If Yes then I need to get to Terminal using Sierra Clover Installer.

4. Since I can access my Dual boot Windows, should I use SSDTTime to generate my SSDTs or rather use pre-built ones mentioned for Skylake on "Dortania"?

5. During my Binge Thread reading, I came accross the XCHI port Limitation stuff and USBmap.efi etc. Do I need to get something straight here before installation or ist this just a postinstall thing?

Thanks a lot for the continous support & Patience. Usually one learns from his mistakes, but unfortunately I dont know yet what my mistake was :p during first install.

Using Munkis Script I downloaded both Catalina 10.15.7 and Big sur 11.6.2.
1. I hoped starting fresh using the latest OC version and creating an installer with standard settings would be enough to get the install done rather than copying someones setup not knowing what all the fuzz is about. I messed up somewhere which I still dont know exactly where. So I am afraid this time again.

2. Which OC version to use for Catalina?
2.1 Debug or Release? Does Release version with Boot argument -v suffice for most debugging?

3. To get new Serials now for iMAC17,1 do I need to run genSMBIOS from final system or can I use any?If Yes then I need to get to Terminal using Sierra Clover Installer.

4. Since I can access my Dual boot Windows, should I use SSDTTime to generate my SSDTs or rather use pre-built ones mentioned for Skylake on "Dortania"?

5. During my Binge Thread reading, I came accross the XCHI port Limitation stuff and USBmap.efi etc. Do I need to get something straight here before installation or ist this just a postinstall thing?

Thanks a lot for the continous support & Patience. Usually one learns from his mistakes, but unfortunately I dont know yet what my mistake was :p during first install.
2. use latest release version

3. you can setup serials after installation

4. using SSDTTime may be better

5. as mentioned before, install Catalina first, setup usb and then upgrade to big sur

No wonder Dortania OC guide starts with those Wise words "[CRUCIAL] Time and patience."

Hope I made a better OC Catalina USB installer(latest OC, SSDTTime-> so i have separate SSDT_EC & SSDT_USBX) for my setup now. I can start install catalina every single time but problem starts after first reboot. so this is

Booted from OC Installer USB--> Started Catalina Installation-->Chose my Sierra SSD--> progress 5min --> 1st Reboot
Booted from OC USB --> choose EFI --> "OCB start image failed unsupported" baaam!!
Reason I believer: @Feartech your message "sounds like a bad idea" came a bit late. Dumb me, by then replaced the SSD EFI folder over Terminal with a another users Z170i EFI setup and I might have bricked something there. Maybe OC version of the OSX EFI not kompatible with OC USB? anyways

So went to Terminal & copied my new OC USB Installer EFI folder to OSX EFI. Rebooted -> started installation ->1st reboot-> Result on choosing EFI at OC picker was a Black Screen.

So went again to Terminal & replaced OSX EFI with old working CLOVER EFI. Same procedure & now on choosing EFI at OC picker lands me on a Clover screen but I have only "Install Catalina" & "Windows" boot options. Not my SSD to continue my Installation.

If i choose "Install Catalina" I believe i wil be simply looping this whole procedure again and again.

Thanks for any suggestions here

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    3.7 MB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Reason I believer: @Feartech your message "sounds like a bad idea" came a bit late. Dumb me, by then replaced the SSD EFI folder over Terminal with a another users Z170i EFI setup and I might have bricked something there. Maybe OC version of the OSX EFI not kompatible with OC USB? anyways

So went to Terminal & copied my new OC USB Installer EFI folder to OSX EFI. Rebooted -> started installation ->1st reboot-> Result on choosing EFI at OC picker was a Black Screen.
why are you doing this for? what part of any guide tells you to do this?

No wonder Dortania OC guide starts with those Wise words "[CRUCIAL] Time and patience."

Hope I made a better OC Catalina USB installer(latest OC, SSDTTime-> so i have separate SSDT_EC & SSDT_USBX) for my setup now. I can start install catalina every single time but problem starts after first reboot. so this is

Booted from OC Installer USB--> Started Catalina Installation-->Chose my Sierra SSD--> progress 5min --> 1st Reboot
Booted from OC USB --> choose EFI --> "OCB start image failed unsupported" baaam!!

So went again to Terminal & replaced OSX EFI with old working CLOVER EFI. Same procedure & now on choosing EFI at OC picker lands me on a Clover screen but I have only "Install Catalina" & "Windows" boot options. Not my SSD to continue my Installation.

If i choose "Install Catalina" I believe i wil be simply looping this whole procedure again and again.

Thanks for any suggestions here
you have a Skylake Motherboard...
why are you using this:
Code:
<dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>PMCR for native 300-series NVRAM</string>
                <key>Enabled</key>
                <true/>
                <key>Path</key>
                <string>SSDT-PMC.aml</string>
            </dict>

i already told you what smbios you should use and you have ignored that advice as well....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back