Z170i Pro Gaming 3401
CPU
i7-6700
Graphics
HD530
Mac
  1. iMac
Dear tonymacx86 Community,

I need some advice before I take the big shot in upgrading my OSX in dual boot (osx & win10 on separate SSDs) system from Sierra to Big Sur.
First things first: Is a direct update possible without out a complete reinstall?

Hardware wise: I presume that I won't be able to use my GTX960 anymore and have switch back to on-board Intel® HD-Grafik 530? Can this support a WQHD monitor over the Z170i Display port in Big Sur?

Software wise: I have my clover boot loader updated to v5144. Is this enough or I need something else?
The Current KEXT i see in my EFTI/CLOVER/kexts/others are just AppleALC, HDMIAudio & Lilu.
Do I need to do any BIOS update/changes appart from maybe activating the Internal GPU?

Any recommendation for the config.plist or System Definitions(current ist iMac (27-inch, Late 2013))? Kexts or latest Tonymac tools that I might require?

At the moment I have a Catalina Appstore Installer but App store does not allow me to download Big Sur. Maybe due to my system definitions. Is it better first to upgrade to Catalina or get Big sur (maybe using gibMacOs or change system definition using Multibeast-Sierra or Catalina)?

I found a few threads in the forums regarding a sierra to big sur update and I am trying to consolidate it depending on my setup. In case you need further system infos let me know.
Meanwhile thanks a lot for any advices/hints or tried&tested upgrade recipes.

Dear tonymacx86 Community,

I need some advice before I take the big shot in upgrading my OSX in dual boot (osx & win10 on separate SSDs) system from Sierra to Big Sur.
First things first: Is a direct update possible without out a complete reinstall?

Hardware wise: I presume that I won't be able to use my GTX960 anymore and have switch back to on-board Intel® HD-Grafik 530? Can this support a WQHD monitor over the Z170i Display port in Big Sur?

Software wise: I have my clover boot loader updated to v5144. Is this enough or I need something else?
The Current KEXT i see in my EFTI/CLOVER/kexts/others are just AppleALC, HDMIAudio & Lilu.
Do I need to do any BIOS update/changes appart from maybe activating the Internal GPU?

Any recommendation for the config.plist or System Definitions(current ist iMac (27-inch, Late 2013))? Kexts or latest Tonymac tools that I might require?

At the moment I have a Catalina Appstore Installer but App store does not allow me to download Big Sur. Maybe due to my system definitions. Is it better first to upgrade to Catalina or get Big sur (maybe using gibMacOs or change system definition using Multibeast-Sierra or Catalina)?

I found a few threads in the forums regarding a sierra to big sur update and I am trying to consolidate it depending on my setup. In case you need further system infos let me know.
Meanwhile thanks a lot for any advices/hints or tried&tested upgrade recipes.
See here, same chipset but networking and USB configuration will probably be different. He is using OpenCore which I highly recommend you use doing forward.

Thanks a lot for the above Link Leesureone.

Although I did not directly copy the EFI folder contents straight away(then i will never learn it that hard way), but I used it as a reference to update open core USB installer for my build.
So I downloaded the latest Open Core Debug Release v0.7.8 and created a USB installer with Catalina. I kept the ACPI/Drivers/Tools etc to a minimum.

The Initial USB boot got Stuck due to wrong settings in MISC->Security->Vault and ScanPolicy and SecureBootModel settings. After correcting this I could get to the install screen and start installation on my Sierra Partition.

Unfortunately after a automatic Reboot during Installation the screen is now stuck at "apfs_module_start:1683" and I can't proceed the install and niether can I get to my EFI folder. Also my boot screen still shows Clover, I expected its something like Open Core. How can I get to my EFI to change/delete any necessary stuff.

Thanks for any hints.

Thanks a lot for the above Link Leesureone.

Although I did not directly copy the EFI folder contents straight away(then i will never learn it that hard way), but I used it as a reference to update open core USB installer for my build.
So I downloaded the latest Open Core Debug Release v0.7.8 and created a USB installer with Catalina. I kept the ACPI/Drivers/Tools etc to a minimum.

The Initial USB boot got Stuck due to wrong settings in MISC->Security->Vault and ScanPolicy and SecureBootModel settings. After correcting this I could get to the install screen and start installation on my Sierra Partition.

Unfortunately after a automatic Reboot during Installation the screen is now stuck at "apfs_module_start:1683" and I can't proceed the install and niether can I get to my EFI folder. Also my boot screen still shows Clover, I expected its something like Open Core. How can I get to my EFI to change/delete any necessary stuff.

Thanks for any hints.
No need for the debug version but your choice. You are trying to update an existing install right? You may have remnants of Clover left on your hard drive to remove

If Clover shows on your boot menu something is wrong, you can try clearing NVRAM if you can see that option at boot.
Did you save a bootable USB drive with Clover on it?

I feel like loosing track after reading a lot of threads related to to the 1683. I dont understand what this problem is related to whether CPU, iGPU, USB or something else.

Yes I was tryin to update from Sierra to Catalina. In clover world that would mean creating a USB installer using Unibeast. Instead I chose the OpenCore USB installer made one for Catalina (https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/config.plist/skylake.html#starting-point). I thought it would overwrite the Clover/EFI to OpenCore/EFI and upgrade Sierra to Catalina. At the clover boot screen I see both my SSD and USB installer. Choosing either gets me only until "apfs_module_start:1683". Therefore I am not able to make any changes to EFI or config.plist.

I tried pressing F11 at Clover boot screen and restarting the system. But not sure if that cleared the NVRAM. Or where do i find this option? I have my old Sierra USB installer Key but not sure how I can get to my SSD EFI folder.

One of the mentioned solution is to put an SSDT_EC_USBX.aml to /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched but how do I get to this folder without booting?

--->
The only thing I can access/change at the moment is the EFI/OC Folder Contents on the OpenCore USB Catalina installer by plugging it into another system and mounting EFI. With that I tried to clean up config.plist(with help of Sanity checker although supported only until version 0.6.X) and some SSDT under ACHI folder. Then tried to boot off the USB installer (thinking openCore should be intakt here instead on the SSD)--> landed on OpenCore boot/Install menu(black shell like) but with having options only to boot from EFI (osx) or Windows but no install catalina option. Selecting Windows Works fine. But selecting EFI option lands me back to a Clover screen where only option choosing either install catalina or again Windows. Now choosing Install Catalina lands me again at error apfs_module_start 1683.

What am I doing/going wrong here.

Thanks again for any hints.

Last edited:
I feel like loosing track after reading a lot of threads related to to the 1683. I dont understand what this problem is related to whether CPU, iGPU, USB or something else.

Yes I was tryin to update from Sierra to Catalina. In clover world that would mean creating a USB installer using Unibeast. Instead I chose the OpenCore USB installer made one for Catalina (https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/config.plist/skylake.html#starting-point). I thought it would overwrite the Clover/EFI to OpenCore/EFI and upgrade Sierra to Catalina. At the clover boot screen I see both my SSD and USB installer. Choosing either gets me only until "apfs_module_start:1683". Therefore I am not able to make any changes to EFI or config.plist.

I tried pressing F11 at Clover boot screen and restarting the system. But not sure if that cleared the NVRAM. Or where do i find this option? I have my old Sierra USB installer Key but not sure how I can get to my SSD EFI folder.

One of the mentioned solution is to put an SSDT_EC_USBX.aml to /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched but how do I get to this folder without booting?

--->
The only thing I can access/change at the moment is the EFI/OC Folder Contents on the OpenCore USB Catalina installer by plugging it into another system and mounting EFI. With that I tried to clean up config.plist(with help of Sanity checker although supported only until version 0.6.X) and some SSDT under ACHI folder. Then tried to boot off the USB installer (thinking openCore should be intakt here instead on the SSD)--> landed on OpenCore boot/Install menu(black shell like) but with having options only to boot from EFI (osx) or Windows but no install catalina option. Selecting Windows Works fine. But selecting EFI option lands me back to a Clover screen where only option choosing either install catalina or again Windows. Now choosing Install Catalina lands me again at error apfs_module_start 1683.

Can you please upload your EFI contents less serial numbers so one of us can check it? Personally If you have irreplaceable data on your existing hard drive, and do not have a back up, I would remove it from your system and replace it with another drive and start fresh. You can import needed data from it later. I am guessing your hard drive is not formatted correctly, APFS, and the Big Sur install fails because of it.
Normally I would update from within Sierra itself instead of trying to load the installer from a USB stick. Maybe that is what you are trying to do but it doesn't sound like it. You should be able to boot form a correctly configured EFI folder on your USB Drive, like the ones I pointed you too, and then load Sierra from your hard drive then use software update from system preferences or from a downloaded version of Catalina to your hard drive.

Last edited:

--->

You are essentially double posting, looking for the same answer in two different threads. Pick one please

Can you please upload your EFI contents less serial numbers so one of us can check it? Personally If you have irreplaceable data on your existing hard drive, and do not have a back up, I would remove it from your system and replace it with another drive and start fresh. You can import needed data from it later. I am guessing your hard drive is not formatted correctly, APFS, and the Big Sur install fails because of it.
Normally I would update from within Sierra itself instead of trying to load the installer from a USB stick. Maybe that is what you are trying to do but it doesn't sound like it. You should be able to boot form a correctly configured EFI folder on your USB Drive, like the ones I pointed you too, and then load Sierra from your hard drive then use software update from system preferences or from a downloaded version of Catalina to your hard drive.
Initially I was planning Big Sur but I could not download it from Appstore due to system incompatibility, so thought Catalina(I had one ) should do and thought once there I can still move to Big Sur or Monterey later.

Yes the APFS Filesystem thing rang a bell in my head sometime while preparaing for this long journey. I was not sure if Catalina required that too. Due to my noobness I ignored. Now I guess I dint do my homework properly and possibly screwed up my working Sierra Installation. so nw I cant get anywhere.

Sorry for the double posts. I though of some response since I was using @middlemans setup. I shall move my questions to this one.

Initially I was planning Big Sur but I could not download it from Appstore due to system incompatibility, so thought Catalina(I had one ) should do and thought once there I can still move to Big Sur or Monterey later.

Yes the APFS Filesystem thing rang a bell in my head sometime while preparaing for this long journey. I was not sure if Catalina required that too. Due to my noobness I ignored. Now I guess I dint do my homework properly and possibly screwed up my working Sierra Installation. so nw I cant get anywhere.

Sorry for the double posts. I though of some response since I was using @middlemans setup. I shall move my questions to this one.
your GTX is not support on Mojave, Catalina, Big Sur or Monterey

@Feartech Yes that at the least, I was aware from the begining. Initially I just left it in its Physical Slot thinking one can ignore it through some settings. Now just to be on the safer side, I have removed it physically. But no change in boot behaviour.

I am now attaching my USB Installer EFI folder. It is same as the EFI here in post https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/success-big-sur-10-11-4-ga-z170n-wifi-samsung-860-evo-rx550.313767/ (intel only version)
But this was not the one I used during Install but similar using OC v0.7.8

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    11.3 MB · Views: 71
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back