Contribute
Register

Advice direct update from Sierra(10.12.6) to Big Sur/Catalina

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Feartech Yes that at the least, I was aware from the begining. Initially I just left it in its Physical Slot thinking one can ignore it through some settings. Now just to be on the safer side, I have removed it physically. But no change in boot behaviour.

I am now attaching my USB Installer EFI folder. It is same as the EFI here in post https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/success-big-sur-10-11-4-ga-z170n-wifi-samsung-860-evo-rx550.313767/ (intel only version)
But this was not the one I used during Install but similar using OC v0.7.8
please update your hardware profile to allow others to help you easier

you need to remove:
SSDT-GPU-SPOOF.aml

no need for:
SSDT-i7-6700.aml

probably don't need:
CpuTscSync.kext

remove:
FakePCIID
FakePCIID_Intel_HD_Graphics.kext
as they have not been needed for a few years

probably do not need:
FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext

your CPU is supported so there is no need to fake the CPU:
Code:
<key>Emulate</key>
        <dict>
            <key>Cpuid1Data</key>
            <data>4wYFAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA==</data>
            <key>Cpuid1Mask</key>
            <data>/////wAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA==</data>
            <key>DummyPowerManagement</key>
            <false/>
            <key>MaxKernel</key>
            <string></string>
            <key>MinKernel</key>
            <string></string>
        </dict>

the only boot arguments you should need:
-v keepsyms=1 debug=0x100 alcid=1

@Feartech Thanks a lot for taking time and effort. Yes I dint have all these config settings before, during and after installation. I started fresh with the installer. This is why I took the @Middleman EFI only as a reference. Since I did not succeed after trying a lot I copied everything from @Middleman fearing that missed something really critical. However I noticed a lot of these SSDT are set as False or disabled in the config.plist.

Okay I will give it a try by cleaning up the Plist. But do you understand what this 1683 is complaning about, which part of the system? In that way it would be easier to find the error source and fix it.

@Feartech Thanks a lot for taking time and effort. Yes I dint have all these config settings before, during and after installation. I started fresh with the installer. This is why I took the @Middleman EFI only as a reference. Since I did not succeed after trying a lot I copied everything from @Middleman fearing that missed something really critical. However I noticed a lot of these SSDT are set as False or disabled in the config.plist.

Okay I will give it a try by cleaning up the Plist. But do you understand what this 1683 is complaning about, which part of the system? In that way it would be easier to find the error source and fix it.
i can only comment on the files you upload and trying to use :)

@Feartech Sorry, dont get me wrong. That was not meant be mean. I really appreciate all this support, without which I would be going crazy here.

I removed the unecessary SSDTs and defaulted to a default Emulate section. Changed boot options too. No Luck.
Is there something like a safe Mode or something to debug more. I also noticed im my posted Boot Log Picture some AHCI exceptions/Errors thrown like AE_ALREADY_EXITS etc. Does that sound fishy?

Attachments

• 04_result_choose_installer_partition.jpg
    04_result_choose_installer_partition.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 29
@Feartech Sorry, dont get me wrong. That was not meant be mean. I really appreciate all this support, without which I would be going crazy here.

I removed the unecessary SSDTs and defaulted to a default Emulate section. Changed boot options too. No Luck.
Is there something like a safe Mode or something to debug more. I also noticed im my posted Boot Log Picture some AHCI exceptions/Errors thrown like AE_ALREADY_EXITS etc. Does that sound fishy?
i can only go by the files you upload, you have not uploaded your new updated EFI

i can only go by the files you upload, you have not uploaded your new updated EFI
I am attaching the cleaned up EFI below.

Meanwhile, I found a Unibeast Catalina Installer (which was what I had planned to do an year ago but forgot + never change a working system). At the Clover Boot screen I see among others "Boot FileVault Prebooter from Preboot" (APFS) and Boot from MacOS (APFS). It looks like the the installation changed my Sierra file system to the required APFS format. Does that mean installation went well but something else is wrong?

EDIT: One thing I noticed always in Clover boot was that the boot options also has OC arguments in it. In case of OC boot screen I could not find a way to see what is being used apart from knowing what I put in config.plist

Attachments

• EFI_aftr_cleanupv1.zip
    11.3 MB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Strange that Unibeast Catalina Installer ist also getting stuck at 1683. So it seems nothing to do with the USB installer content. I am not sure what this else could be. Most of the thread related to 1683 Issues talks about the EC. Especially EC_USBX. Not sure if I need to generate one specifically to my setup or any Z170i eg @Middleman should have worked. Or ist not injecting it or something? During Install I remeber I had swap the USB installer from my front side USB3.0 to Back side USB2.0 to get it running. Things are getting more murkier or missing a big critical point.

Strange that Unibeast Catalina Installer ist also getting stuck at 1683. So it seems nothing to do with the USB installer content. I am not sure what this else could be. Most of the thread related to 1683 Issues talks about the EC. Especially EC_USBX. Not sure if I need to generate one specifically to my setup or any Z170i eg @Middleman should have worked. Or ist not injecting it or something? During Install I remeber I had swap the USB installer from my front side USB3.0 to Back side USB2.0 to get it running. Things are getting more murkier or missing a big critical point.

@Feartech Thanks again for the Link. I am wondering how I can get all this system Information, create any necessary files or copy something to somewhere without being able to boot to my OSX Desktop or a shell?

The only think working now is my old Sierra Unibeast Installer. Here I can get to the Installation screen and either start a Sierra Installation (I am not sure if this is a good Idea)or choose utility like Terminal.

So now I took the way with Terminal, Mounted my SSD and went to /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER and I can see the Sierra Clover Stuff but nowhere anything related OpenCore. Now I am not sure how to proceed so that may be I get restore my Sierra in case it was not thrashed completely by OC Catalina Installer. If I can get back to Sierra, I might be able to take another Catalina Update Route or atleast prepare/gather all system relevant Data.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back