CPU
Intel i7-3770K
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
So I have just build my first hackintosh, and am booting off a 120gb SSD that will also be used for applications. I have a 3tb HDD that I have also installed for file storage.

The installation guide tells what to format the boot drive to, but I can't seem to find anything on what to format additional drives to. Logically I would assume that I could use the same format I use for my external drives and that this is not as big a deal as the boot drive.

Another thing I was wondering about the formatting is for the possibility of dual booting in the future. For all my external drives I use exFat so that I can use my drives on both Windows and OS X. If I dual boot my hack, I would like to be able to access my storage drive from either OS, and it seems like this would work, but I'm wondering if anyone out there already does this, and any advice you may have for format.

Thanks!

So I have just build my first hackintosh, and am booting off a 120gb SSD that will also be used for applications. I have a 3tb HDD that I have also installed for file storage.

The installation guide tells what to format the boot drive to, but I can't seem to find anything on what to format additional drives to. Logically I would assume that I could use the same format I use for my external drives and that this is not as big a deal as the boot drive.

For OS X access, HFS+J (same as boot drive).

Another thing I was wondering about the formatting is for the possibility of dual booting in the future. For all my external drives I use exFat so that I can use my drives on both Windows and OS X. If I dual boot my hack, I would like to be able to access my storage drive from either OS, and it seems like this would work, but I'm wondering if anyone out there already does this, and any advice you may have for format.

exFAT is reported to be quite buggy in OS X, so you might want to rethink that...

I use bootcamp drivers for HFS+ in Windows to access (readonly) HFS+J volumes. That way, OS X has readonly access to NTFS and Windows has readonly access to HFS+J which works for me. You might have different requirements. There is third party software that allows read/write HFS+J access on Windows too.

For dual-boot, you might review this guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/multi-booting/96000-guide-dual-booting-mountain-lion-windows-8-a.html (Win7 is the same as Win8)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back