Contribute
Register

Adding/Using HiDPI custom resolutions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the quick reply. Those two suggestions would fall under the "any methods in this thread" part of my post. Something appears to have changed in addition to the new file path and rootless=0 requirement. If anyone has successfully made 16:9 HiDPI work on a Mid-2012 rMBP with a U2515H please let me know.

Note post #62, where it was made to work...

Note post #62, where it was made to work...

I haven't try in recovery mode but i did made the files with terminal & nano in sudo mode and seem to write just fine since i can show the content in finder without problem and persist after a reboot...

But i have a lot of files in the directory and i'am unsure if the external ID is right or the converted resolution.

Waiting for more info from @trash80 who made it work before El capitan with same monitor..

I haven't try in recovery mode but i did made the files with terminal & nano in sudo mode and seem to write just fine since i can show the content in finder without problem and persist after a reboot...

But i have a lot of files in the directory and i'am unsure if the external ID is right or the converted resolution.

Waiting for more info from @trash80 who made it work before El capitan with same monitor..

10.11 does not allow modification of system files without rootless=0.

Did that already

Yup !
Screen-Shot-2015-07-16-23-52-42.png

In post #62 it was made to work on different hardware.

For Citizen, here is my plist file. Some (not all) resolutions in the plist show up when doing Option-Scaled in Display Preferences but they don't show (HiDPI) after the resolution even though the DisplayResolutionEnabled is set to 1. They can be selected but don't work on the rMBP Mid-2012 over DisplayPort. Don't know why, since the 16:10 resolutions like 1440x900 (HiDPI) will work all day long -- just not the 16:9 HiDPI modes. Note that my U2515H ProductID is d06f, not d06e like yours, according to IORegistryExplorer.

On a different OS config I tried a modified kext trying to get the OS to think the Dell U2515H was a Thunderbolt Display, but it still didn't work. Any suggestions are appreciated.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>DisplayProductName</key>
<string>Dell HiDPI U2515H</string>
<key>DisplayProductID</key>
<integer>53359</integer>
<key>DisplayVendorID</key>
<integer>4268</integer>
<key>scale-resolutions</key>
<array>
<data>AAAMgAAABwg=</data>
<data>AAAGQAAAA4Q=</data>
<data>AAAKAgAABaA=</data>
<data>AAAFoAAAAtA=</data>
<data>AAAKrAAABgA=</data>
<data>AAAFVgAAAwA=</data>
</array>
</dict>
</plist>

In post #62 it was made to work on different hardware.

For Citizen, here is my plist file. Some (not all) resolutions in the plist show up when doing Option-Scaled in Display Preferences but they don't show (HiDPI) after the resolution even though the DisplayResolutionEnabled is set to 1. They can be selected but don't work on the rMBP Mid-2012 over DisplayPort. Don't know why, since the 16:10 resolutions like 1440x900 (HiDPI) will work all day long -- just not the 16:9 HiDPI modes. Note that my U2515H ProductID is d06f, not d06e like yours, according to IORegistryExplorer.

On a different OS config I tried a modified kext trying to get the OS to think the Dell U2515H was a Thunderbolt Display, but it still didn't work. Any suggestions are appreciated.

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<integer>53359</integer>
<integer>4268</integer>
<array>
<data>AAAMgAAABwg=</data>
<data>AAAGQAAAA4Q=</data>
<data>AAAKAgAABaA=</data>
<data>AAAFoAAAAtA=</data>
<data>AAAKrAAABgA=</data>
<data>AAAFVgAAAwA=</data>
</array>
</dict>
</plist>

For each HiDPI resolution you want, you need an entry that is double each x/y.

I only see it for 1600x900 and 1366x768.

These are the resolutions you have (unless I made an error... you should verify):
3200x1800
1600x900
2562x1440
1440x720
2732x1536
1366x768

The 1440x720 has no double, and neither does 2562x1440.

Also, you may need the extra 00000001, which I saw in the plist used by the MacBookPro11,x... You might also look at some of the existing files for ideas (especially if you can confirm they are from a retina).display).

Success! What finally worked is adding a 00200000 after the 00000001 listed in post #1. Found that extra parameter in a blog post from Minwei Shen. Here's the updated file with working 1920x1080, 1600x900, 1366x768 and 1281x720. 1280x720, i.e. PERFECT Retina for 2560x1440 is still mysteriously disabled, and I'm not sure why the HiDPI resolutions don't show up in Display Preferences even after setting the DisplayResolutionEnabled flag, but RDM does the trick on that front.

Here's the file that works for my Dell U2515H in 10.11 beta:

/System/Library/Displays/Contents/Resources/Overrides/DisplayVendorID-10ac/DisplayProductID-d06f

<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<integer>53359</integer>
<integer>4268</integer>
<array>
<data>AAAKAAAABaAAAAABACAAAA==</data>
<data>AAAFAAAAAtAAAAABACAAAA==</data>
<data>AAAPAAAACHAAAAABACAAAA==</data>
<data>AAAHgAAABDgAAAABACAAAA==</data>
<data>AAAMgAAABwgAAAABACAAAA==</data>
<data>AAAGQAAAA4QAAAABACAAAA==</data>
<data>AAAKAgAABaAAAAABACAAAA==</data>
<data>AAAFAQAAAtAAAAABACAAAA==</data>
<data>AAAKrAAABgAAAAABACAAAA==</data>
<data>AAAFVgAAAwAAAAABACAAAA==</data>
</array>
</dict>
</plist>

Thanks for the help. HiDPI was worth the trouble. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back