Contribute
Register

Adding/Using HiDPI custom resolutions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Success! What finally worked is adding a 00200000 after the 00000001 listed in post #1. Found that extra parameter in a blog post from Minwei Shen. Here's the updated file with working 1920x1080, 1600x900, 1366x768 and 1281x720. 1280x720, i.e. PERFECT Retina for 2560x1440 is still mysteriously disabled, and I'm not sure why the HiDPI resolutions don't show up in Display Preferences even after setting the DisplayResolutionEnabled flag, but RDM does the trick on that front.

Here's the file that works for my Dell U2515H in 10.11 beta:

/System/Library/Displays/Contents/Resources/Overrides/DisplayVendorID-10ac/DisplayProductID-d06f

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>DisplayProductName</key>
<string>Dell HiDPI U2515H</string>
<key>DisplayProductID</key>
<integer>53359</integer>
<key>DisplayVendorID</key>
<integer>4268</integer>
<key>scale-resolutions</key>
<array>
<data>AAAKAAAABaAAAAABACAAAA==</data>
<data>AAAFAAAAAtAAAAABACAAAA==</data>
<data>AAAPAAAACHAAAAABACAAAA==</data>
<data>AAAHgAAABDgAAAABACAAAA==</data>
<data>AAAMgAAABwgAAAABACAAAA==</data>
<data>AAAGQAAAA4QAAAABACAAAA==</data>
<data>AAAKAgAABaAAAAABACAAAA==</data>
<data>AAAFAQAAAtAAAAABACAAAA==</data>
<data>AAAKrAAABgAAAAABACAAAA==</data>
<data>AAAFVgAAAwAAAAABACAAAA==</data>
</array>
</dict>
</plist>

Thanks for the help. HiDPI was worth the trouble. :)

Hey ! Great !
I will test it with mine tomorrow ;)
What HiDpi resolution look the best to you ?

Thank you - it worked! :)

Is it possible to do this for HDMI external screen? I can't find vendor and product ID anywhere.
I added 1920*1080 and 2560*1440 and it works for internal display but it hadn't have any effect for HDMI screen.

Is it possible to do this for HDMI external screen? I can't find vendor and product ID anywhere.
I added 1920*1080 and 2560*1440 and it works for internal display but it hadn't have any effect for HDMI screen.

You'll find DisplayVendorID and DisplayProductID for your external screen in the ioreg.

Yep see last's post's we did it on a Dell QHD screen.
Vendor & Product ID can be found on IOREG as 'Cinema Display' or Apple Display they dont show up as Dell Display for example.

Hey guys,

Using a 2560x1440 external display with my desktop hackintosh (running a GTX 670). Using the defaults command, I can get the monitor to natively display 1280 x 720 (HiDPI) which looks and scales great. However, I'd ideally like to use something a little bit smaller like 1600x900 or 1920x1080.

I was able to edit the file and get them to show up using RDM.app, but when applied, they make the display very grainy and pixelated.

Any ideas why that's happening? Also when I got to "About" and then "Displays," it says my monitor is 30.5 inches (1920 x 1080) when it's actually 27 inches (and obviously 2560x1440). For reference, it's an ASUS PB278Q.

Thanks,
Josh

Hey guys,

Using a 2560x1440 external display with my desktop hackintosh (running a GTX 670). Using the defaults command, I can get the monitor to natively display 1280 x 720 (HiDPI) which looks and scales great. However, I'd ideally like to use something a little bit smaller like 1600x900 or 1920x1080.

I was able to edit the file and get them to show up using RDM.app, but when applied, they make the display very grainy and pixelated.

Any ideas why that's happening? Also when I got to "About" and then "Displays," it says my monitor is 30.5 inches (1920 x 1080) when it's actually 27 inches (and obviously 2560x1440). For reference, it's an ASUS PB278Q.

Thanks,
Josh

Sounds like your display is running in 1080p mode.

But I can get it to display in the native 2560x1440 resolution (at least I think it seems that way).

I'm connecting my GTX 670 to my Pioneer receiver (via HDMI) and then the output for the receiver goes to my monitor also via HDMI.

Any ideas knowing that information?

But I can get it to display in the native 2560x1440 resolution (at least I think it seems that way).

I'm connecting my GTX 670 to my Pioneer receiver (via HDMI) and then the output for the receiver goes to my monitor also via HDMI.

No experience with Nvidia. This forum is for laptops.

Probably your rcvr downscaling to 1080p on its output

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back