Contribute
Register

A story with a happy ending... I hope...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z97mx Gaming 5
CPU
I5-4690k
Graphics
290 & 290x crossfire
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi guys,

im pretty new to hackintoshing and I am having issues with the post installation. I might be failing because of being a complete noob so I expect and hope that you guys are able to help.

Computer spec:

windows 10
AMD 290 and 290x (using the 290 for the hackintosh)
i5 4690k
gigabyte z97mx - gaming 5
1x 8gb Kingston
120gb sandisk ssd (windows)
32gb sandisk ssd (hackintosh)
2x hdd's for storeage

After having issues formatting the ssd for hackintosh I replaced the saga cable and got El capital installed and running.

however the graphics are in a bit of a bad way. They are not smooth and often corrupt a webpage with static.
i have followed every guide available for r9 290 cards but I have had no luck. This could be however caused by my lack of understanding of clover configure. Every change I do does not seem to do anything and the Mac is seeing the gpu as a 7mb unit.
also every time I open clover it says "cannot find efi partition" I mount every time I make changeds but maybe I its not booting from that?

someone please enlighten me. :) I think the clover problem is more likely to be the issue as I I have read and tryed every Internet forum post on the 290.

after this we can address my other issues ;)

cheers
david

Well, I've had some smaller issues with clover and with the gpu on my first attempts too.

First: Did you install the correct Clover Version for your board? In my case (with a MSI H97 - which is really similar to the Z97 Chipset/boards) I got everything running with the UEFI-Version (Clover_v2.3k_r3320-UEFI).
So installing El Capitan, booting from USB into your System, installing UEFI-Clover, mounting the newly installed EFI-Partition and editing the CLOVER/config.plist to your needs ... reboot. done.

About the graphics issue: I have no idea how amd-cards are working on a hackintosh but I got my (unsupported) nVidia-card working as follows:

Booting from USB into the Installer with the bootflag nv_disable=1 (means don't use nvidia drivers). There's no flag for amd cards afaik but not injecting any drivers should help ...
After a really ugly looking installation process I installed the nvidia-Webdrivers and changed the nv_disable=1 into nvda_drv=1. So every time the system boots it's told to use the nvidia drivers and not the stock apple drivers.
As mentioned before I have no idea on how to get unsupported AMD cards working ... but generally the trick is, to tell your OS X just to use the stock apple drivers until correct drivers (which need to have support for your card of course) are installed. Just after installing the correct drivers the system needs to know, that it has to use these drivers upon every boot ... (that's where my AMD knowledge ends .. .sorry)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back