Nvidia GTX 650 ti 1024 MB
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
A few small questions [Worked!]

Hello guys!

First of all, I'm Thijmen, a 17 year old boy from the Netherlands. I recently decided that I want to make a Hackintosh. I do have a few questions however. They might have been answered in a different forum section but I'd prefer to make a thread myself. Also, I want to mention that I have not followed an approved build.

Specs
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series (chiptype: AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x6739).
CPU: Intel Core i7.

Questions
Thanks for reading this thread! These are my questions:

- I currently use 2 monitors on my PC. They are old, they both use DVI. Is this supported on Yosemite? One of them is 32bit, and uses a VGA to DVI adapter.

- This:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...-x-yosemite-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html

guide says at step 6 "For a new installation of OS X, you MUST erase and format the destination drive according to the following steps before continuing."

Does this mean I have to totally wipe/format my harddrive? Can't I make a partition of, like, 200GB which I use for OSX?

- Can I dualboot Windows and Yosemite without removing the installed Windows 8.1 version and it's files which I currently have? I did not buy a W8 pre-installed PC so my PC has BIOS instead of UEFI.

Sorry for my English and I hope you can help me out. Thank you in advance. :)

Specs
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series (chiptype: AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x6739).

Questions

- This:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...-x-yosemite-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html

guide says at step 6 "For a new installation of OS X, you MUST erase and format the destination drive according to the following steps before continuing."

Does this mean I have to totally wipe/format my harddrive? Can't I make a partition of, like, 200GB which I use for OSX?

For installing OS X, required a HDD which having GUID Partition Table (GPT) and the partition should be formatted as "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)".

- Can I dualboot Windows and Yosemite without removing the installed Windows 8.1 version and it's files which I currently have? I did not buy a W8 pre-installed PC so my PC has BIOS instead of UEFI.

As you are on Legacy BIOS (Not UEFI) Mode, your current windows installation will be in HDD having MBR. As mentioned above OS X required GPT Instead of MBR. So without a full HDD wipe out and re-installation of Windows it will be difficult.

- I currently use 2 monitors on my PC. They are old, they both use DVI. Is this supported on Yosemite? One of them is 32bit.

I don't have a dual monitor setup, so i am helpless on this query. As it is graphics related you can post this query in http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/
You will get fast and better response there.

Good Luck..!

Hello guys!

First of all, I'm Thijmen, a 17 year old boy from the Netherlands. I recently decided that I want to make a Hackintosh. I do have a few questions however. They might have been answered in a different forum section but I'd prefer to make a thread myself. Also, I want to mention that I have not followed an approved build.

Specs

Questions

- I currently use 2 monitors on my PC. They are old, they both use DVI. Is this supported on Yosemite? One of them is 32bit, and uses a VGA to DVI adapter.

- This:

Sorry for my English and I hope you can help me out. Thank you in advance. :)
The drive for OS X must be formatted with GUID partition tables. The only way a Win8 pre-installed drive can be formatted GUID is if it was installed UEFI. See http://www.tonymacx86.com/multi-boo...g-installed-win-8-1-data-other-partition.html for problems with doing what you want.
Your best option is to get another drive for the OS X and leave the Win8 drive alone.

You say your PC has BIOS and not UEFI - please follow the rules and put your system in your profile - you can use my profile as an example of what we need to see to give you good advice.

Thanks for your fast answer Jithin. I was already afraid of wiping my HDD completely but if that's the only way, I see no problem.

I checked the Disk Management screen and it is MBR indeed (just to be sure). I've looked up some information at the forum and DVI should work, and if at least 1 screen works, I'm happy.

Is it hard to setup the GUID Partition Table (GPT) part? I have not done this before. Is it just an option or do I manually have to change several settings? And can it all be done in the Installer of OSx?

I really appreciate your help since I'm new, so thanks guys.

The drive for OS X must be formatted with GUID partition tables. The only way a Win8 pre-installed drive can be formatted GUID is if it was installed UEFI. See http://www.tonymacx86.com/multi-boo...g-installed-win-8-1-data-other-partition.html for problems with doing what you want.
Your best option is to get another drive for the OS X and leave the Win8 drive alone.

Do you mean I can not format my drive to GUID? I didn't not buy this PC with Windows 8.x pre-installed as I mentioned above.

You say your PC has BIOS and not UEFI - please follow the rules and put your system in your profile - you can use my profile as an example of what we need to see to give you good advice.

Do you mean the thread your signature links to?

Sorry for double post!

Thanks for your fast answer Jithin. I was already afraid of wiping my HDD completely but if that's the only way, I see no problem.

I checked the Disk Management screen and it is MBR indeed (just to be sure). I've looked up some information at the forum and DVI should work, and if at least 1 screen works, I'm happy.

Is it hard to setup the GUID Partition Table (GPT) part? I have not done this before. Is it just an option or do I manually have to change several settings? And can it all be done in the Installer of OSx?

I really appreciate your help since I'm new, so thanks guys.

You can perform the re partition through OS X Installer. It is simple too as like you are performing activities in windows's Disk Management.

All the steps are included in the below Guide,

Do you mean I can not format my drive to GUID? I didn't not buy this PC with Windows 8.x pre-installed as I mentioned above.

Do you mean the thread your signature links to?

Sorry for double post!
I mean the profile under my avatar pic to the left of my posts. The profile can be edited by clicking on the Profile button at the top right of the forum page. Enter your info like so, clicking on the pencil icons to change each item:

Basic Information
SystemGA-X58A-UD7 Rev.1 BIOS F7
CPUi7-920
GraphicsSapphire HD5770

This is really the minimum information needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
My CustoMac is up and running! The dual monitors work, internet is working (as you see :D) and so does the sound. Thanks everyone for all the help, I will post my build later this week and I'll explain every extra step I had to take to get things working here.

However, I do have one problem. I use a Turtle Beach P11 headset. This headset has 2 buttons, one for 'normal' sound (game) and one for chat sound like Skype and TS (chat). The point is that the game button is not working, and the chat button manages both my chat and normal sound. I've had this problem at Windows too, and this: http://support.turtlebeach.com/entry/830517289/ helped me out back then. Though if I want to follow the Mac steps, I don't see the "Internal Speakers/Built-In Output" option. This probably has something to do with my drivers but I can't seem to find it out. If anyone else had this problem, please reply :lol:.

Thanks again for all the help!

Cheers, Thijmen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back